Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

6 hours ago, Blondo said:

Wouldn't that be Brüderschaft?

Germany already has dibs on "die Mannschaft" but Brüder-shaft is available.

Oh, by no means do I want our nickname coming out of this to anything to do with this brotherhood businees, this Trappist monk stuff (Belgian reference for you there).

I'd love us to acquire something far more mischevious, it'd mean we were creating a bit of havoc for our rivals.

13 hours ago, ensco said:

If the Morocco game matters to Morocco, the atmosphere in that stadium could be interesting…

Moroccan fans travelled in big numbers for the Arab Cup held in Qatar last summer. I suspect they’ll have big support for their group games and that the local fans will support them as well.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:21 PM, InglewoodJack said:

We were terrified of Dutch speaking nation Suriname, then washed them. We were concerned about Dutch speaking nation Curaçao and washed them. And now we are afraid of Dutch speaking Belgium and somehow still worried? Only thing I’m worried about is which MLS side picks up Courtois after we drop 5 goals on him and wash him out of Europe.

Inglewood Jack, well... you went from a Jack to a King in my books with this post. Keep it up bro. 

Croatia beat France in France 1-0 today on a 1st half Modric PK. I haven't seen the highlights yet so I've no idea if France's keeper was pulling an Australian keeper and doing the Log Driver's Waltz on the line as Modric put it past him.

France are dead last in their nation's league group with 2 points and have been eliminated from being able to advance to the finals as Denmark are 7 points up on them with two matches left. Not sure what the deal is there, if they are playing possum ahead of the WC, poorly to get their coach fired or they just don't give a shit about the Nations League.

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Croatia beat France in France 1-0 today on a 1st half Modric PK. I haven't seen the highlights yet so I've no idea if France's keeper was pulling an Australian keeper and doing the Log Driver's Waltz on the line as Modric put it past him.

1 minute ago, B_Leaf said:

Probably for another thread, but wow our WC Group looks tough.  Croatia and Belgium were tough draws.  They look like top teams in Europe. 

I watched the game....Croatia were playing like Atletico Madrid with 11 behind the ball for 90 minutes. That early penalty was very fortunate for their game plan.

I don't think I've watch any games they played and seen the way they would play against us. Because I haven't seen them play when they were the aggressors in the game. The takeaway I've got is that they can be very organized defensively.  

The kids played a great game at the back. Restricted France to speculative efforts for the most part, the French looked really impotent. Šutalo (the kid from Dinamo I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) claiming his ticket for Qatar, as did Erlić and Stanišić. The backline now looks great. Gvardiol, Erlić, Šutalo and Ćaleta Car are great CB options. At this point it's pretty much certain neither Lovren nor Vida will play at the WC, though I expect one of them getting a place in the squad. The only questions remaining are who'll play alongside Gvardiol and potentially whether we'll play 3 at the back.

Still waiting on our attack to get sorted. Musa missed this cycle because of Covid. Hope he'll take his chance in autumn. Alternatively, Beljo or Šimić could pop off and get a chance to prove themselves. I don't think I ever mentioned Beljo before. He's a really promising young striker from our domestic league (20 years old). Hope one of them three works out and we're ready for Qatar.

Hope we beat the Danes in autumn and qualify for the Nations League finals as well, it's there for the taking.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:05 AM, Brozosexual said:

The kids played a great game at the back. Restricted France to speculative efforts for the most part, the French looked really impotent. Šutalo (the kid from Dinamo I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) claiming his ticket for Qatar, as did Erlić and Stanišić. The backline now looks great. Gvardiol, Erlić, Šutalo and Ćaleta Car are great CB options. At this point it's pretty much certain neither Lovren nor Vida will play at the WC, though I expect one of them getting a place in the squad. The only questions remaining are who'll play alongside Gvardiol and potentially whether we'll play 3 at the back.

Still waiting on our attack to get sorted. Musa missed this cycle because of Covid. Hope he'll take his chance in autumn. Alternatively, Beljo or Šimić could pop off and get a chance to prove themselves. I don't think I ever mentioned Beljo before. He's a really promising young striker from our domestic league (20 years old). Hope one of them three works out and we're ready for Qatar.

Hope we beat the Danes in autumn and qualify for the Nations League finals as well, it's there for the taking.

Debutant Josip Šutalo in Whoscored's team of the Nations League's June cycle.

FVSDKweWUAAbJBY?format=png&name=small

There are also confirmed bids from across Europe for the young striker Beljo. Anderlecht, Basel and Dortmund so far. All rejected, Osijek wants at least 10 million. Supposedly, and surprisingly, pretty strong interest from Dortmund. Seems like they're set on going for at least one tall CF in this window, whether that be Beljo or someone else like Kalajdžić.

Also read on one Croatian news site that no player across Europe (probably first divisions) younger than Beljo scored more goals last season. Have no idea if that's legit or not, can't be bothered checking. Seems a bit out there to be honest. He did score 20 goals across all comps, though. Conversion rate 34%, which is itself pretty remarkable.

Looks like it will be between him and Musa for a spot in Qatar.

Edited by Brozosexual

Moroccan defender Nayef Aguerd official moves to the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61867137

Suppose to be good on the ball and decent in the air. Don't remember much of him against Lille (when he was with Rennes) but that is probably good for a CB, they all looked bad against the States a few weeks ago. 

22 year old Croatian CDM/CB Bartol Franjić from Dinamo signing for Wolfsburg. He's not capped at the senior level and probably won't be this year but depending on how he starts the season maybe he could battle it out with Frankfurt's Jakić for a bench spot (Brozović cover) in Qatar.

Things are looking good for him, though. Should slot right into that vacant CDM spot at Wolfsburg and a fellow Croat in Niko Kovač is his new coach. 

Edited by Brozosexual

Witsel to Atletico Madrid and Origi to Milan. Origi is on the fringes and might not be among the 26 headed for Qatar.

Denayer and Tielemans will likely move to another club as well. Others include Batshuayi, Mertens, Januzaj, Praet, Alderweireld, Dendoncker, ... Expecting quite a few transfer deals to actually get over the line.

7 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

FYI, Canada destroyed  Belgium 45-0 in a rugby match at Wanderers’ ground in Halifax on Saturday: https://www.tsn.ca/canada-hammers-belgium-in-men-s-rugby-1.1820413

Whatever happens at the World Cup in November, at least we’ll have that result! 😀

Belgium is not even in the 2nd European tier of six, they were relegated last qualifying round. 

A team that stupidly lost out on a World Cup by losing to Chile clobbering a team well below its level. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Belgium is not even in the 2nd European tier of six, they were relegated last qualifying round. 

A team that stupidly lost out on a World Cup by losing to Chile clobbering a team well below its level. 

Off topic, but what's your take on this Sunday's Canada-Spain rugby match here in Ottawa? 

3 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Off topic, but what's your take on this Sunday's Canada-Spain rugby match here in Ottawa? 

It should be a hard-fought match, with Canada the underdogs (sadly). Spain would have qualified for the world cup, but for their love of using ineligible players which saw them kicked out after qualifying (they were booted in 2019 as well).    

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/15/spain-offer-fresh-evidence-in-attempt-to-reverse-rugby-world-cup-ban-union

@Blondo How is Cyle Larin moving to Club Brugge being observed by Belgians? Is there any added interest in the player because he will now play with one of the top Belgian clubs?

I guess it depends on the fan, but I imagine some would keep a watchful eye on him now, while others would not be so interested in monitoring a player from Canada, an opposing team Belgium should beat at the WC. 

For Canadians, I think there is optimism about Larin moving from Besiktas to Club Brugge, because it's a small step up and he'll get to play Champions League football once again. Canada will have just 4 players in that competition, unless Red Star Belgrade qualify and David transfers to Bayern.

However, I imagine that Club Brugge is kind of like entry level for a Belgian national team player. Nothing really special. From that perspective maybe there's no feeling or curiosity about Larin moving there?

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

@Blondo How is Cyle Larin moving to Club Brugge being observed by Belgians? Is there any added interest in the player because he will now play with one of the top Belgian clubs?

I guess it depends on the fan, but I imagine some would keep a watchful eye on him now, while others would not be so interested in monitoring a player from Canada, an opposing team Belgium should beat at the WC. 

For Canadians, I think there is optimism about Larin moving from Besiktas to Club Brugge, because it's a small step up and he'll get to play Champions League football once again. Canada will have just 4 players in that competition, unless Red Star Belgrade qualify and David transfers to Bayern.

However, I imagine that Club Brugge is kind of like entry level for a Belgian national team player. Nothing really special. From that perspective maybe there's no feeling or curiosity about Larin moving there?

I would say only the real Die Hards would even care. In their eyes we're just ants.