Group F Opponent Watch (Belgium, Croatia, Morocco)

On Belgium, I think we should play as Wales did in the second half with a 4-5-1. I think that would gum up there attack and expose their creaky defence more.  Honestly, Croatia scares me more as I am not sure what we do to stop them. For Belgium, I would play

David

Davies Eustaquio Osorio Piette/Kone Buchanan 

Adekugbe Miller Vitoria Johnsto

That would be solid defensively, with Eustaquio and Piette able to play the ball over the top or to Osorio who can play it out wide. And that would allow the combo of Davies David and Buchanan to shread them on the counter. 

you could bring on Larin, Laryea, Kone or Piette, Hoilet or Millar as subs if needed 

12 hours ago, VinceA said:

A lot of Belgium fans online are worried about their backline. Vertonghen and Alderweireld can't keep up with pacey attackers and their younger CB Debast is still learning on the job. Davies and Buchanan could be feasting. 

Belgian fans are pretty smart 😉

I said back on this thread somewhere that the biggest part of the oldness of their team came from the back 3 they played at the Euros.  Vermalaen retired but the other two are still there. Debast was not the answer in two games, especially in the air.  Bit of a gamble to bring him in, though they do have two more friendlies in November.  I am also sure I said on here that Martinez has never impressed me much. 

Looking at Croatia and Belgiums lineups the last few games we could arguably get 3 of pur guys in a combined 11.

For Croatia, Davies is a given. David would also start. They have a couple guys around his level, but I would go with him. For the 3rd guy we could go with Borjan over Livakovic. This is probably a bit of a stretch. He is the starter for Zagreb. Zagreb is ranked 2 spots higher than red star in club coefficients, while the Serbian league is 8 spots higher than Croatia. Arguably we would have 3 starters in their lineup.

For Belgium, again Davied is a given. David would certainly start over Batshuayi, so as long as Lukaku is out he would take that spot. Then for the 3rd spot we could make an argument for Eustaquio. He probably doesn't displace Tielemans or Witsel, but Onana started last game. Unless he improved significantly from his time at Lille, steph is better than him.

Pretty impressive we can do that, and I realize that from a Canadians eyes.

Via ESPN on the weakness of 9 contenders.

Belgium: They can't defend

All of these nine favourites have played somewhere between 11 and 13 competitive matches since all of the continental competitions wrapped up last summer, per Stats Perform. Belgium have allowed 1.2 expected goals per game, while none of the other eight are north of 0.9. They've allowed 19.2 touches in the penalty area, while none of the other eight have allowed more than 14.1.

It's not like they're the rare national team that presses, either. They're not conceding because they're pushing too many bodies forward; only France have a lower pressing rate. Instead? Well, their defenders might just be too old. Remember Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld? They're both still starting for this team.

https://www.espn.com/sports/insider/soccer/insider/story/_/id/34671908/why-france-other-world-cup-favourites-win-qatar-2022

Author also had this

Edited by red card

Today’s result is just what we want to get Belgium and especially Croatia to not take us seriously.  My Croatian friend in the office just chuckled when he saw the score after finally playing ‘a real team’.  Mind you, Croatia is looking to be one of the most in-form teams going into the cup so I’m actually thinking that Belgium self-destructing is just as likely as sneaking a result against an ‘aging (but actually refreshed)’ Croatia. 

Canada just needs to play for a draw against Belgium in the opening game and if you do that, against Croatia in the 2nd match you go for the 3 points which gives you 4 points through 2 games. Then last game against Morocco, you go for a win. Gives you 7 points but realistically I would play for a draw because then it gives you 5 points with a real chance to get to the Round of 16 especially if you're Canada.

But then Round of 16, you could potentially meet Germany or Spain. And who would you rather face? For me it would be Germany 

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada just needs to play for a draw against Belgium in the opening game and if you do that, against Croatia in the 2nd match you go for the 3 points which gives you 4 points through 2 games. Then last game against Morocco, you go for a win. Gives you 7 points but realistically I would play for a draw because then it gives you 5 points with a real chance to get to the Round of 16 especially if you're Canada.

But then Round of 16, you could potentially meet Germany or Spain. And who would you rather face? For me it would be Germany 

Davies vs Germany would be sweet, especially after all the teasing he took from German Bayern players about Canada playing football . You couldn't write a better script if Canada ended up beating Germany!

Who in the opposition plays in the champions league- having trouble finding a reason to care about the games tonight.

Hazard playing for Madrid with Modric on the bench.

Hakimi playing for PSG

Lots with Dynamo Zagreb ; Sucic on the other side. 

Meunier with Dortmund and En-Nesyri, Rakitić, Bono for Seville

Kovačić with Chelsea 

Juranović with Celtic ; Gvardiol for Liepzig

Missing any?

On 10/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, TGAA_Star said:

If any of group f teams plans on reaching semis they should aim for the first spot... there is a clear difference between Belgium-Croatia and Canada-Morocco but this is still very open group.

Group F winner will face either Germany or Spain in the Round of 16, both are more than winnable fot both Belgium and Croatia, Canada and Morocco would have to play a game of their lives to get through... same goes for quarters where Uruguay, Portugal, Serbia or Switzerland will be waiting, Belgium or Croatia are actual favourites against any of these sides while Canada or Morocco will have a fighting chance against them as Canada demonstrated against Uruguay.

Group F runner-up on the other hand after surpassing either Germany or Spain will 100% stumble upon Brazil in quarters...

If any of these teams somehow reaches semis GF winner will face either France or England while runner-up would be pitted against Argentina or Netherlands.

8 minutes ago, FullbackZD said:

If any of group f teams plans on reaching semis they should aim for the first spot... there is a clear difference between Belgium-Croatia and Canada-Morocco but this is still very open group.

Group F winner will face either Germany or Spain in the Round of 16, both are more than winnable fot both Belgium and Croatia, Canada and Morocco would have to play a game of their lives to get through... same goes for quarters where Uruguay, Portugal, Serbia or Switzerland will be waiting, Belgium or Croatia are actual favourites against any of these sides while Canada or Morocco will have a fighting chance against them as Canada demonstrated against Uruguay.

Group F runner-up on the other hand after surpassing either Germany or Spain will 100% stumble upon Brazil in quarters...

If any of these teams somehow reaches semis GF winner will face either France or England while runner-up would be pitted against Argentina or Netherlands.

Canada would have to be in fine form to finish 1st in this group but to beat Belgium will be a tough task but against Croatia we may have a chance but a pretty slim one but against Morocco we could win that of course sure.

14 hours ago, cornerkick said:

KdB and Tielemens both scored from outside the box this weekend in EPL.  Both stunning goals.  The Tielemens goal was absolutely sublime...

https://youtu.be/8S6ObeYieSk?t=251

Trossard's wasn't bad either, probably just a step into the box.

If form is the determiner, he should probably be ahead of Hazard and start against us.

This guy (Willoo) has been doing world cup preview segments on each world cup team over the past several weeks.  He is well informed and does good research.  A couple of weeks ago he did a segment on Canada that I posted it in the other thread.  It was the second team that he covered, and it was favorable. 

Here is his review of Morocco.  Its in French but he highlights.

- Its their sixth appearance at the work cup but very few good results

- Question marks up front but their players down the flank are their strengths

- injuries on defense 

- A very creative and exciting team but prone to many mistakes 

- He thinks it will be difficult for Morrocco.

- He thinks Canada will be the surprise of the WC. 

-

Edited by Free kick