Hugo Tavares

Dominic94

38 minutes ago, Buchta said:

He has played 17 games (2 goals) so far this season with Pacos U19.  A Portuguese website lists him as a defensive midfielder.  

He has been playing in Portugal since at least he was 7.

Defensive midfielder for Pacos? I wonder where he might find a mentor who could take him under his wing for club and country? 😉 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, sonic_fcpf said:
Hugo Tavares highlights Fall 2022 (Goals, Offensive and Defensive playing).
Only player of the team starting all 17 games despite being a Rookie... 1328 minutes... Conference Rookie leader on Goals, Points and Shots on Goal despite playing defensive mid... 2022 All Rookie team.

Any idea why he went from Paco's to NCAA. Was it a personal choice or was he not able to make it in europe? Hopefully hes still a promising option for CMNT in a few years if he goes the mls route. 

I don't know much about him but at first glance its disappointing to see a guy who could be playing in portugal going to Ncaa with hopes of one day going to mls. 

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Any idea why he went from Paco's to NCAA. Was it a personal choice or was he not able to make it in europe? Hopefully hes still a promising option for CMNT in a few years if he goes the mls route. 

I don't know much about him but at first glance its disappointing to see a guy who could be playing in portugal going to Ncaa with hopes of one day going to mls. 

It was a personal choice. It seems he was offered a professional contract in Paços but playing this year in a  3rd division club as a loan. I think he took a calculated risk moving to NCAA with the intention to move to MLS. There are many young players at this stage (mainly financially aspects but also the fact the next world cup will be in north america which will increase visibilty) wanting to move to NA targeting MLS ...and coachs too. Ex: Nuno Santos, 23 (a Benfica player that was playing in Paços) was transferred to Charlotte FC. If we exclude the 4/5 main clubs in Portugal salaries are very low in all others... much lower than CPL for example. Also the new coach for Charlotte FC II playing MLS Next Pro next year is the former U19 FC Porto coach..... and you will see more moving. Time will tell.

Makes sense. Lets hope its the right choice! It's a big risk since he moved to NCAA and not to MLS. 

I have a hard time believing the salaries in portugal are lower than CPL though. Vitoria much lower than didic...  Theres just no way. Based on the low end of the salary cap. You average 28k a year per player in the CPL.  Paco's had 5 players making 20k in EUROs a year. They are young guys though. The majority of the guys seem to be making between 80k-800k a year in euros.  

19 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Makes sense. Lets hope its the right choice! It's a big risk since he moved to NCAA and not to MLS. 

I have a hard time believing the salaries in portugal are lower than CPL though. Vitoria much lower than didic...  Theres just no way. Based on the low end of the salary cap. You average 28k a year per player in the CPL.  Paco's had 5 players making 20k in EUROs a year. They are young guys though. The majority of the guys seem to be making between 80k-800k a year in euros.  

Salaries I was mainly referring to young players..... tipically first professional contract in portugal is for 3 years .... year 1: 9.000€; Year 2: 12.000€ and year 3: 18.000 € per year.... again excluding Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga and Gumaraes...those ones pay more

1 hour ago, sonic_fcpf said:

Salaries I was mainly referring to young players..... tipically first professional contract in portugal is for 3 years .... year 1: 9.000€; Year 2: 12.000€ and year 3: 18.000 € per year.... again excluding Benfica, Porto, Sporting, Braga and Gumaraes...those ones pay more

I still find that hard to believe but i dont know tons about the Portuguese league. Heres where i got my numbers... do you think they are accurate?  https://www.capology.com/pt/primeira-liga/salaries/

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

A full NCAA "contract" can be worth upwards of $70,000.00 with all the perks.   An American football player, probably more.  A real Football player, not so much.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM