Hugo Tavares

Dominic94

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, phresh said:

A lot of NCAA players sign with USL League 2 teams in the off season, I'd assume he's back at school in fall

That's it, in August goes back to college. The relevant issue here is that Flint is the club in US that places more players in MLS (this year were 6) and is the club with more USL2 titles.....and since Hugo was already in the last eligible players draft list....playing for Flint and making a good season increases dramatically the probability of being drafted this coming December.....

Cool that he’s playing USL League 2, I really like what that league is doing and how they offer college players the opportunity to play during the offseason.

I love what my “local” club is doing- Vermont Green. Super cool culture and IMO one of the most interesting small clubs in all of North America. They’ve built a really cool supporter culture and have invested in what looks like an awesome game day experience.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Cool that he’s playing USL League 2, I really like what that league is doing and how they offer college players the opportunity to play during the offseason.

I love what my “local” club is doing- Vermont Green. Super cool culture and IMO one of the most interesting small clubs in all of North America. They’ve built a really cool supporter culture and have invested in what looks like an awesome game day experience.

Sounds like its a similar goal to L1, but States, so more money involved? 

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Sounds like its a similar goal to L1, but States, so more money involved? 

Yeah, pretty much. You probably have a bigger balance between development and creating a good supporter culture in USL2 than L1, but that's probably because there's more money in USL2 and the US have so many population centres without bigger teams that you can drop a team in Vermont and get thousands of fans who would otherwise have to drive hours to go watch live soccer. Even Flint, where Tavares will play probably doesn't have any other pro/semi-pro teams to support, and you might even get a nice rivalry going on with some of the other MI teams. From what I know about L1, almost every team in Ontario is in the GTA and nearly every team in Quebec is in the Montreal area (or Ottawa) with only a few teams truly supporting a market with no better options. Out west might be a bit different.

On 2/29/2024 at 4:13 PM, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, pretty much. You probably have a bigger balance between development and creating a good supporter culture in USL2 than L1, but that's probably because there's more money in USL2 and the US have so many population centres without bigger teams that you can drop a team in Vermont and get thousands of fans who would otherwise have to drive hours to go watch live soccer. Even Flint, where Tavares will play probably doesn't have any other pro/semi-pro teams to support, and you might even get a nice rivalry going on with some of the other MI teams. From what I know about L1, almost every team in Ontario is in the GTA and nearly every team in Quebec is in the Montreal area (or Ottawa) with only a few teams truly supporting a market with no better options. Out west might be a bit different.

Flint City Bucks are really targeting their 5th National championship this year. They are building a very strong team. 3 of the players drafted last December will play this season for Flint. One of them also a Canadian.....Malik Henry that was drafted by CF Montreal. Since Flint normally plays with 2 CM .....maybe we will se a Canadian midfield @ Flint !