TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, masster said:

What reputation? In Italy this guy has no reputation left! Ever since he left Fiorentina, it has been 5 years of nothing but disappointment. Even though he was out of contract, the only Italian team linked with him was Napoli, and that is because they are looking for cheap options as they undergo major cost cutting.

As a regular watcher of both MLS and Serie A, going from Pozuelo to Bernardeschi is a downgrade.

BUT But but but....he is Italian..wont that solve all our problems??  I have heard a stupid rumor about everyone from Mike Mozzerella to Charlie Chicken Parmesian..we are DEEEP into silly season now.  And I know who threw cold water on the supposed Kaye trade.  Someone who realized his minutes might be slashed.   

image.jpg

Not sure that we should be looking at Bernadeschi as being a replacement for Pozuelo even if he takes his former DP spot. The comment Bob Bradley made after the Seattle game stands out even more now that they never thought there would be room on the pitch for Pozuelo and Insigne the way Bradley wants to play. I think Insigne will, on the field, be the de facto replacement for Pozuelo in terms of how Bradley had been deploying him.

18 hours ago, jonovision said:

What do TFC fans think of this move? I see some acknowledging that Kaye makes the team better now, while others are lining up to jump off the ledge because of the price paid.

For me, it’s a little bit of Column A, a little bit of Column B.

But this move, and Pozuelo’s exit, confirms this is now Bradley’s team.  In Bradley I trust.

Even assuming that TFC can get another DP centerback this window, I would be tempted to waive Mavinga and pick up Doneil Henry. Yes, Henry will probably make his fair share of errors and is injury prone, but if we are going to have an injury-prone player who makes the occasional brain-fart error, I'd rather it be a Canadian at a fraction of the cost that Mavinga is getting (which I think is at a TAM level and is close to a million if I'm not mistaken).

Most of Henry's errors are going for the hero challenge or the occasion inaccurate pass (and Mavinga has his fair share of those), but I can't recall ever seeing a "ah what the hell, no-one is pressuring me so I'll just lob the ball up in the air just in front of our 18 yard box, just to see if the shortest guy on the pitch can win the header, even though by some miracle he can, there's a 95% chance it will be a flick on that will go straight to the opposition anyway" from Henry. That's exactly what Mavinga did for the first goal against on Saturday, unless someone else has a better idea of what the hell he was trying to do. I mean, as bad as Achara's give away was or his unnecessarily risky attempt to do a bicycle kick right next to his own goal that could have gone anywhere (which fortunately he was fouled on the play resulting in TFC keeping possession), I at least know what Achara was thinking on those plays. Mavinga on that first goal, I have no fucking clue no matter how many times I watch it.

The crazy part is that Caldwell first blamed Nelson for the giveaway on the goal before correcting himself later on. He talks so much I'm not sure he pays close attention to the play on the field. Mavinga needs to be moved out asap. Lots of ability but for a vet CB he makes really dumb decisions and is not a leader on the backline 

Edited by Kadenge

26 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't think waiving players is something MLS teams can do these days, if a player is under contract for the full season.

You can put the player on waivers which allows another teams to pick up his contract. The salary would only come off the books if the player was picked up by another team.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:43 PM, jonovision said:

What do TFC fans think of this move? I see some acknowledging that Kaye makes the team better now, while others are lining up to jump off the ledge because of the price paid.

Kaye is a full national team player in his prime.  He'll be a solid player for the duration of his contract; he's not already 31 and starting the downward slide. 

TFC had been stock piling allocation money so the $1 million is worth it, especially as it is spread over time.

The big give up is Priso who is a legitimate prospect.  If Colorado continues to develop him instead of using him for backup, he'll sell for a bunch of money in a couple of years.  TFC will get some of that but obviously less than they otherwise would.

So do you want the veteran now or the prospect for later?  TFC has a number of other good prospects and has never quailed at paying to bring in veterans when needed.  This won't stymie future improvements to the team.

I will miss Priso but I'm happy to see Kaye and I think it is a good deal overall.

TFC also has been stockpiling prospects.  Moving one out to bring in an established player is a positive move.  Maybe it'll all go south, but thats the right kind of thing to do.  You dont bury Priso until he is 24 and he isnt a prospect and no one wants him, and you help the club win for the next 2-3 years while Kaye is in his prime.  They could have done that with Okello a few years ago and been better off, considering how things have turned out.  Personally I still think they need a CB, but maybe with Bruscito (thats all i hear when Caldwell says his name) in the back line, Mavinga/Oneill/McNaughton will look a bit better.  

32 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

TFC also has been stockpiling prospects.  Moving one out to bring in an established player is a positive move.  Maybe it'll all go south, but thats the right kind of thing to do.  You dont bury Priso until he is 24 and he isnt a prospect and no one wants him, and you help the club win for the next 2-3 years while Kaye is in his prime.  They could have done that with Okello a few years ago and been better off, considering how things have turned out.  Personally I still think they need a CB, but maybe with Bruscito (thats all i hear when Caldwell says his name) in the back line, Mavinga/Oneill/McNaughton will look a bit better.  

Watching Caps reject Michael Boxall put in a steady shift for Minny on the weekend makes me wonder why it's so hard to find a low profile CB in this league who's not erratic.  A guy who fits to a T is Erik Godoy:  like Mavinga, durability hasn't been his friend but from all accounts, he is now fit yet camped on the Caps' bench while Schuster/Sartini shoehorn Nerwinski into the regular back three rotation.  Playing on a natural surface and in a back four might be a boost for him, as well.

If nothing else, get Henry back.  I thought he had a good shift in Vancouver and his durability wasn't an issue, even on the field turf.

12 hours ago, Metro said:

Everyone’s favourite Vanezuelan looks to be moving to Europe. So much for playing where he feels more comfortable….

Your comment initially appeared before the tweet image showed up so for a second I thought you were referring to Erickson Gallardo...