HFX Wanderers - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Sounds more like he was a victim of MLSs archaic roster rules.

Remember MLS still discriminates against Canadians.

Further proof of why CPL was so necessary. We can't rely on an American league that doesn't care about Canadian interests

These roster rules didn't seem to get in the way of the careers of Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Richie Laryea and Alistair Johnston who also went through the MLS superdraft.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

These roster rules didn't seem to get in the way of the careers of Tajon Buchanan, Cyle Larin, Richie Laryea and Alistair Johnston who also went through the MLS superdraft.

That really doesn't prove anything.

We know for a fact that MLS rules discriminate against Canadians.

Your lame attempt at defending them doesn't change this.

...and on and on with this same old tired exaggerated nationalist narrative even when we are on the brink of WC finals qualification in no small part due to the influence of MLS. Good luck to the guy where the move to Halifax is concerned. Hopefully, he makes the Rapids regret not keeping him.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and on and on with this same old tired exaggerated nationalist narrative even when we are on the brink of WC finals qualification in no small part due to the influence of MLS. Good luck to the guy where the move to Halifax is concerned. Hopefully, he makes the Rapids regret not keeping him.

You are pathetic.

Why is it so hard for you to accept constructive criticism of MLS's stupid rules?

So I am going to ruffle a few feathers here but ... I disagree that MLS's rules are discriminatory. They are there to promote american soccer and have no loyalty to us. Do they really owe it to us to let Canadians count as domestic soccer players!?!? I don't think so. For the longest time, not even our domestic teams were made up of mostly Canadians. It took the MLS teams the time to build an academy and produce their own players before they had a significant Canadian contingent. IMO in the early years these teams wouldn't have survived in a competitive sense if they had not have counted Americans as domestic players. I think they helped us out more than we give them credit - at least that's the sense I am getting on this forum.

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

If MLS' domestic player rules as applied in CANADA aren't discriminatory then why aren't the applied in the USA?

MLS has already told us why, repeatedly, those rules wouldn't be legal.

Damn.  Took the bait.

Their selective interpretation has deemed them illegal because that's the way they prefer it to be.

The MLS is an American League. At the time of the expansions to Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, Canada didn't have its own league. As the old saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. Therefore we had to abide by the rules established by the Americans. Now we have our own national league and maybe one day Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal will fall under that league (at least a decade out).

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Drawing Guelph in the Voyageurs Cup makes for a meeting with former Wanderer Tomasz Skublak. Colin Gander (USPORTS draft pick) is still in camp with HFX as well, after spending last season playing for Guelph United.

They have quite a few ex CPL players.. If their roster is up to date. Justin Springer, Jace Kotsopoulos and Nicolás Galvis.

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

They have quite a few ex CPL players.. If their roster is up to date. Justin Springer, Jace Kotsopoulos and Nicolás Galvis.

I believe Springer is actually the assistant coach but had to dress for a few games last season when players got injured/the university season encroached. Galvis blew his ACL like two games into the L1O season and is recovering from surgery. Alex Zis was a draft pick of Forge but never signed by the club. Judging by their social media posts they all seem to be back with the club. I'm very suprised that none of Zis, Kostopoulos and Skublak earned CPL opportunities this season.

Last year they also had former Valour third stringer Artemenko who went to the Ukraine to play in the second tier but has now enlisted in the war. It will be interesting to see who is brought in to tend the net.