HFX Wanderers - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Does this mean the Wanderers can only sign two more players. Or do these signings not go against their roster of 23.

Correct, loaned out players do not count against the roster limit. HFX can sign 3 more players as they currently have 20 signed.

35 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

They have 3 roster spots open and have to add one U21 player to get to the minimum of 3.

Any idea which the U21 it could be. Is it from any released from the other CPL teams. I personally think the Firge have the most talent and even those released by them.  HFX should take a look at those players. Correct me if I'm wrong they have some type of connection with SIGMA FC. Could be one of the best youth clubs in Ontario. 

Edited by ATM

18 minutes ago, ATM said:

Any idea which the U21 it could be. Is it from any released from the other CPL teams. I personally think the Firge have the most talent and even those released by them.  HFX should take a look at those players. Correct me if I'm wrong they have some type of connection with SIGMA FC. Could be one of the best youth clubs in Ontario. 

https://northerntribune.ca/canadian-premier-league-youth-minimum-2022/ This article lists the currently signed players who fit the U21 criteria.

Yes Forge has an "informal" relationship with Sigma as Bobby founded the program and his brother currently directs it. Forge does not have a lot of turnover, so it's tough to poach their program. The players they seem to have lost from last year either signed elsewhere professionally or are U21 players that went the NCAA route. The only actual free agents I can think of from that camp are Monti Mohsen, but HFX already brought in a plethora of young wingbacks in Fernandez/Tabi; Kosi Nwafornso who never actually played a minute; Paolo Sabak who is assumedly headed back to Europe; and Jakovic who mysteriously dropped off the face of the planet.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Aribim Pepple is a free agent, time to come back to CPL.  Probably look for a player from Quebec, HFX recruits extensively form Quebec, draft pick Chris Campoli would be another candidate, he meets the U21 criteria, not sure if he is still training with the team.

HFX has started a U23 program, maybe a player from that group will get an opportunity.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

10 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Probably look for a player from Quebec, HFX recruits extensively form Quebec, draft pick Chris Campoli would be another candidate, he meets the U21 criteria, not sure if he is still training with the team.

Campoli started in their friendly as recently as last week, so he still seems to be around.

Additionally, the trialist Robinson who has started the last two friendlies seems to be TFC Academy product Ryan Robinson. A 2001 born attacker, so he would fit the U21 criteria as well.

USPORTS draft pick Colin Gander officially signed, another fullback added to the pool. He's started a fair bit during preseason. As a 2000, I'm not sure if he counts under the U21 rule although he won't turn 22 until after the season. 

Interesting that there hasn't been an announcement about Campoli, so maybe he didn't make the squad.

43 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

USPORTS draft pick Colin Gander officially signed, another fullback added to the pool. He's started a fair bit during preseason. As a 2000, I'm not sure if he counts under the U21 rule although he won't turn 22 until after the season. 

Interesting that there hasn't been an announcement about Campoli, so maybe he didn't make the squad.

Are CPL teams allowed to sign another teams Draft pick other then their own. Maybe a team wanted a certain player but another team took him. If that team doesn't sign him are they able to take them. Coaches would see these players during pre-season matches. Just wondering.

9 minutes ago, ATM said:

Are CPL teams allowed to sign another teams Draft pick other then their own. Maybe a team wanted a certain player but another team took him. If that team doesn't sign him are they able to take them. Coaches would see these players during pre-season matches. Just wondering.

CPL teams have some sort of initial rights over signing the player, but if they opt not to sign him they become a free agent and can sign anywhere in the league. This circumstance happened with Easton Ongaro who was actually drafted by Cavalry before his prolific time in Edmonton.

In the case of Campoli, he was drafted by York last season but never signed and thus his rights were also not retained so he was able to re-enter the draft. If no team chooses to sign him after HFX has passed him up, then he could potentially re-enter the draft a third time. As the third overall pick, it is quite possible that someone scoops him up. I've got to wonder if FC Edmonton left some roster spaces clear while waiting for teams to cut down.

Edited by Pottsy3

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Happy to see Nic Gagan signed, his passing reminds me of Kaye at his best.  Hopefully Campoli takes up the last roster spot, has been a top player in in L1O and U-Sport

Never heard of him in LEAGUE 1. I am surprised that no York University players are in the mix. They have one of the best programs in the Country. And I think I saw a few players on the York Lions are with TFC 3. Would be in the best interest for all 3 Canadian MLS clubs to loan out players and get them play time in CPL.

Edited by ATM