Atletico Ottawa - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Has there been any indication of what his next role is?  I’m now wondering whether he replaces Clanachan as commissioner. For no reason other than timing and wild speculation.  He does tick a couple of boxes though (soccer management experience at various levels, fluent in French which needs to happen if CPL is going to make inroads in Quebec…)

Thanks.  It sounded like an announcement of his next move was imminent and for some reason it sounded to me (from the article) like it wasn't a coaching job.  Of course, there's no reason why he couldn't land a coaching job while simultaneously working toward completing his license.

An announcement on the current roster: https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/article/atletico-ottawa-2022-roster-update

From the update, here are the players currently under contract:

Atlético Ottawa 2022 Roster as of January 13th 

GK:
Defenders: 2- Drew Beckie (CAN), 16- Zach Verhoven (CAN), 17- Miguel Acosta (ESP)
Midfielders: 6- Chris Mannella (CAN), 8- Ben McKendry (CAN)
Forwards: 14- Brian Wright (CAN), 19- Malcolm Shaw (CAN)

Further roster updates will be made, including new player signings, following the appointment of a new Head Coach and technical team, with an announcement expected in the coming week. 

Edited by Treppy2

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Not sure why that would make sense for pacific but I was pretty shocked he was leaving, not least having nothing but a glowing assessment of the league and enjoying being here. 

Yeah that is surprising unless he just wants to experience a new city, and/or likes the prospect of travelling to Madrid for preseason. 

Why select local players in the draft when you can just sign them? Nothing to say Ottawa aren't going to sign Carelton players?

As much as it is definitely great for local morale to pick local players the draft surely gives teams better reach for players/prospects in different parts of the country that other teams would normally take in their home market. 🤷‍♂️