Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Anyone know what "The Kickoff" generated in the way of revenue for WFC?  Because I would expect those dollars wouldn't be allocated as VFC revenue, that would on the Bombers side of the ledger.

Anyone know what WFC charged VFC for operating the CPL franchise?  Venue rental?  Blah, blah, blah?

Just asking.  Big picture stuff you know?

Miller is dead on when he says they need people in the 'stands.  Who'd have thought?

Its a shell game.  Valour lost 600k, how much did Valour make the Bombers by utilizing IG field all summer?? How much are they going to get from selling Akio??  Sure he want things to turn around attendance wise, but are they really working all that hard to change anything??  The guys in WPG say there are some billboards up etc...but come on, thats the best you can do??  You are the big cheese, maybe you should work on the problem and not just whine about it eh??  

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

Kind of sounds like "we need better attendance ASAP or we will look to sell the team"...

Honest attendance counts similar to what started happening in Edmonton midway through last season would be the next warning sign after that of an imminent exit from the league by this ownership group in a look we tried but see what's happening sort of way. Best for Valour fans not to be in denial about what is unfolding.

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Top priority: AJB, Dyer, Baquero, Gutierrez (contracted to end 2023 according to Transfermarkt), Ohin, Romeo, Levis

U23 minute Priority: Catavolo, deBrienne (contracted to end 2023 according to Transfermarkt)

To early to know: Rendon, Mekideche, Ponce, Yesli

Loan Players - have to assume they are gone: Sirois, Rea, Ascanio

Gone: Esparza, Mikhael, Fordyce (retirement)

That leaves: Cebara (in different); Pena, Carlos & Riggi (would like to see return)

Additions: replacement goalie - Barker (impressing with FC Manitoba) -or- Artemenko

Training camp invites: Tomy, anyone who does well with FC Manitoba this season, Béland-Goyette (he is still available!)

I am under the impression that Mekideche has a contract for a few seasons, so I would assume that he will be there next year.

With the loan players, I think a lot would depend on whether or not they sign extensions at Montreal (Sirois and Rea) as both have contracts that expire in December (I think, maybe November). I don't see why they wouldn't be open to a return, especially when Romeo came back.

For the sake of versatility and cover, I would like to see Cebara and Pena stick around (especially since Pena is one of only 2 players who have been there since the beginning). Carlos will probably be there next season and I can see Riggi staying too.

Yesli, I am still not sold on. I would love to see Artemenko get a shot though. 

Training Camp, I would genuinely be surprised if Hidalgo-Mazzei isn't there. That guy ALWAYS comes back. Who knows? Maybe next season, he will get his shot?

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Honest attendance counts similar to what started happening in Edmonton midway through last season would be the next warning sign after that of an imminent exit from the league by this ownership group in a look we tried but see what's happening sort of way. Best for Valour fans not to be in denial about what is unfolding.

With attendance, a fair bit of it will be down to on-pitch performance. Some fans wont want to watch the team flop. However, when the club hits a rough patch, they NEED the fans.

I really do hope this isn't going to be another Edmonton scenario though.

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its a shell game.  Valour lost 600k, how much did Valour make the Bombers by utilizing IG field all summer?? How much are they going to get from selling Akio??  Sure he want things to turn around attendance wise, but are they really working all that hard to change anything??  The guys in WPG say there are some billboards up etc...but come on, thats the best you can do??  You are the big cheese, maybe you should work on the problem and not just whine about it eh??  

Exactly, make the BOMBERS. I can't help but feel like the owners will always see Valour as second best. It is usually the way when owners have teams in different sports, there is always the favourite (usually the one that makes the most).

If CanPL are really expecting $12 million as an expansion fee, there is probably still a true believer faction amongst the owners who are still very much aiming for the initial economic model that requires 5000+ minimum to break even.

Given where attendance is at in certain cities it wouldn't be surprising if certain ownership groups decide to follow the Fath brothers to the exit, if that sort of crowd level appears a long way off to them.

Beyond the Valour/Blue Bombers dynamic what the Woodbine stadium project not happening does or would do to York United is the other one to keep an eye on.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Turks and Caicos!?!... Loaned from Detroit City

Billy Forbes
Personal information
Full name Billy Forbes[1]
Date of birth 13 December 1990 (age 31)
Place of birth Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands
Height 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)[2]
Position(s) Winger, Striker
Club information
Current team
Detroit City FC
Number 7
College career
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2009–2010 Western Texas Westerners 35 (17)
2011–2012 Lubbock Christian Chaparrals    
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2008 Provopool Celtic    
2008–2009 AFC Academy    
2012 Mississippi Brilla 11 (2)
2013 WV King's Warriors 11 (7)
2014–2015 San Antonio Scorpions 50 (10)
2016 Rayo OKC 30 (3)
2017 San Antonio FC 31 (10)
2018 Phoenix Rising 20 (3)
2019 San Antonio FC 23 (3)
2020 Austin Bold 16 (7)
2021 Miami FC 25 (7)
2022– Detroit City 2 (0)
National team
2008– Turks and Caicos Islands 13 (4)
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 05:08, 22 March 2022 (UTC)
‡ National team caps and goals, correct as of 17:41, 22 May 2022 (UTC)
Edited by K Edgar

57 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Billy Forbes
Personal information
Club information
Current team
Detroit City FC
Number 7
College career
Years Team Apps (Gls)
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2008–2009 AFC Academy    
2016 Rayo OKC 30 (3)
2020 Austin Bold 16 (7)
2021 Miami FC 25 (7)
2022– Detroit City 2 (0)
National team
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 05:08, 22 March 2022 (UTC)

And that would now put us over 23 if we count Ohin. Obviously to replace Akio, but how have they got around the visa issue?

4 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Exactly, make the BOMBERS. I can't help but feel like the owners will always see Valour as second best. It is usually the way when owners have teams in different sports, there is always the favourite (usually the one that makes the most).

Well if you thought Valour was going to take over and become more important than the Bombers you are the most optimistic person in Manitoba.   My point was they have other ways to skin the cat.  Maybe Bob Young can stand to lose millions of dollars, so Hamilton works on a different set of parameters of success.  Valour is the same by just providing events for the beautiful modern clean existing venue partially owned by the club.  I'd love to see the owners really pump up Valour for this weekends game, they just came off their biggest crowd of the season and are playing better.  I've had a few people ask me about Akio going to Scotland, so people are aware of Valour even outside the city.  But, and I know the usual shitheads dont want to hear this, my family is still avoiding concerts, movies, malls etc...so I know a certain tamping down of attendance is still going on.  

48 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well if you thought Valour was going to take over and become more important than the Bombers you are the most optimistic person in Manitoba.   My point was they have other ways to skin the cat.  Maybe Bob Young can stand to lose millions of dollars, so Hamilton works on a different set of parameters of success.  Valour is the same by just providing events for the beautiful modern clean existing venue partially owned by the club.  I'd love to see the owners really pump up Valour for this weekends game, they just came off their biggest crowd of the season and are playing better.  I've had a few people ask me about Akio going to Scotland, so people are aware of Valour even outside the city.  But, and I know the usual shitheads dont want to hear this, my family is still avoiding concerts, movies, malls etc...so I know a certain tamping down of attendance is still going on.  

I'm actually in the UK, but my girl is a Winnipegger and I know how Winnipeggers feel about their sports teams. Either way, I get what you are saying. I just get really frustrated when owners who have teams in various sports just seem to half a$$ one of them because the other is the "cash cow" (Rockstar Games and GTA anyone?). Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that WFC have to focus solely on Valour or the Bombers, just maybe accept that, should Valour get a fair chance, they could do well. I genuinely hope though, that Valour don't end up like Edmonton.

Edited by EnigMattic1

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

My point was they have other ways to skin the cat ...

Valour is the same by just providing events for the beautiful modern clean existing venue partially owned by the club. 

I agree with you on this. I have no doubt that WFC wants the Red and Gold to be just as good and popular as the Blue and Gold

From the Winnipeg Sun - Paul Friesen July 21,2022

The Blue Bombers' foray into soccer-team ownership took a hit last year.

Valour FC lost some $600,000 on operations due to starting last year in an empty stadium due to pandemic restrictions.

“We lost some momentum, and we're working really hard to get that momentum back. We need to get our attendance back up to where it was, and there's been some progress this year but we want to see it quicker.

The Bombers loaned Valour $1.3 million last year, listing it as a liability on its year-end financial statement.

“There is uncertainty with Valour's ability to repay that amount,” Miller said. “So we need to account for that in our statements.”

This doesn't sound nearly as doom and gloom as some have suggested. I don't see Valour going anywhere anytime soon. This also suggests that they haven't considered the $1.3m loan to be a loss, but rather that it needs to be listed in the financials. It may end up being a loss, but we don't know the term length on that loan.

Really the bigger issue for WFC comes down to the stadium. Prior to IG Field, CanadInns stadium was 61 years old at demolition and cost under $5m to build (2020 dollars). That facility was built for CFL and baseball. Now, WFC has a stadium that cost $210m to build that they now have to maintain and ~$160m in debt to service. One CFL team playing 9 home games a year isn't a great business model for financial stability, neither are concerts, of which there have only been 7 since 2013.

IG Field needs to be a multi-tenant facility, and CPL makes the most sense. Having another team that plays 14 home games is about taking some of the financial pressure off the Bombers, especially when the CFL teams are now revenue sharing to keep almost every other team afloat.

Can WFC keep Valour going at a loss indefinitely? Certainly not. WFC just needs Valour to break even, and I don't think they're all that far off the mark.

Baquero picked up 4th yellow card in Ottawa will miss Forge game.  Will we see Mekideche?  Riggi has served his suspension, although Canpl may want to update the Riggi's club in their graphic!🤣

Name

Club

# of Yellow Cards

Total
(Matches)

Alessandro Riggi HFX Wanderers 4 1

9 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Billy Forbes
Personal information
Club information
Current team
Detroit City FC
Number 7
College career
Years Team Apps (Gls)
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2008–2009 AFC Academy    
2016 Rayo OKC 30 (3)
2020 Austin Bold 16 (7)
2021 Miami FC 25 (7)
2022– Detroit City 2 (0)
National team

Had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.  Or Paul Dalglish.

18 hours ago, Cheeta said:

31 and a wee man at that.

Interesting signing.  As in "interesting?" not "Interesting!".

Transfermarkt has a high (inflated?) opinion of Billy Forbes...

Market value
Current market value:
$193Th.
Last update: Jun 10, 2022
Edited by K Edgar