CS Les Étoiles de L'Est
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2018–2021 JS Kabylie 6 (0)
2021– CS Hammam-Lif 0 (0)
*Club domestic league appearances and goals, correct as of 20 August 2021

Wait? What?!?

We needed another defender?

Either way, going by our friends at Transfermarkt, he is a left footed centre back who can also play as a sweeper. 3 at the back coming?? However, that now raises the question, Ohin? Closer to a return than we realise? Or is there potential outgoings? By my count, we now have AJB, Cebara, Mikhael, Romeo and Mekideche at the back with Esparza, Pena and Levis on the left and Baquero and Guti on the right.

14 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Northern Tribune's take...

https://northerntribune.ca/valour-fc-nassim-mekideche/

"Mekideche becomes the twenty-third athlete to join the roster this season, though that number is expected to go down in the near future." ?!? -- Mikhael released?  Akio to Scotland?

I've just checked the roster on the CPL site. There is 23 players listed (including Ohin). Assuming he isn't registered, the comment about Mekideche being the 23rd is correct. I get the impression that PDS doesn't rate Mikhael so his departure is a possibility and, unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Akio move to join his brother.

8 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I've just checked the roster on the CPL site. There is 23 players listed (including Ohin). Assuming he isn't registered, the comment about Mekideche being the 23rd is correct. I get the impression that PDS doesn't rate Mikhael so his departure is a possibility and, unfortunately, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Akio move to join his brother.

Yes, 23 on their roster page (https://canpl.ca/roster/VAL), including Ohin but not yet included is Mekideche.  As you just mentioned Ohin is pictured in today's Valour tweet.  So I would assume he will be playing before the end of season.  Thus, to make room for Mekideche someone has to go.  Esparza is the most likely to be released (or Mikhael as mentioned).  A loan to Edmonton for one of them is another possibility?  Have not heard anything further on Akio moving on to Scotland -- maybe it will not happen, or happen at the end of the season.

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-hfx-wanderers-fc-cpl-match-55

"Daryl Fordyce back from injury and international players Kevin Rendón and Daniel Ascanio now eligible to play as well."  So only Ponce (1 game suspension) and Mekideche will be missing for HFX game.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Yes, 23 on their roster page (https://canpl.ca/roster/VAL), including Ohin but not yet included is Mekideche.  As you just mentioned Ohin is pictured in today's Valour tweet.  So I would assume he will be playing before the end of season.  Thus, to make room for Mekideche someone has to go.  Esparza is the most likely to be released (or Mikhael as mentioned).  A loan to Edmonton for one of them is another possibility?  Have not heard anything further on Akio moving on to Scotland -- maybe it will not happen, or happen at the end of the season.

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-valour-fc-vs-hfx-wanderers-fc-cpl-match-55

"Daryl Fordyce back from injury and international players Kevin Rendón and Daniel Ascanio now eligible to play as well."  So only Ponce (1 game suspension) and Mekideche will be missing for HFX game.

From a positional point of view, Esparza would be the better option to go due to the fact that he is solely a left back. Mikhael, however, can play left, right or in the centre. As Esparza was signed by PDS as he is "the sort of player we are looking for", one would assume that, if one had to go, it would be Mikhael.

We also have to remember that, unless things have changed, Tomy is still floating around. I would have assumed that he would have followed suit and joined Barker and Hidalgo-Mazzei at FC Manitoba by now.

There is also the possibility that Akio to Scotland is nothing more than rumours, started by the fact that Loturi went to Scotland. Hopefully, it is a case of 1+1=3 in that respect.

My thoughts on the game vs Wanderers today:

1. AJB makes or breaks the team. Simple as that. Even better that he keeps Cebara on the bench as Cebara generally coughs up one stupid goal a game for the opposition.

2. Our CM, especially in the 1st half, were playing progressive in a way I had not really seen at home so far this year.  I think Fordyce has to stay on the bench. He does too many back and sideways passes and kills attacks. Rendon may not have lit things up in his debut, but he contributed to dominating the midfield and playing progressively. Same with Guti.

3. Levis and especially Baquero were good at wingback today.  Can't start Pena again until one of them loses their spots.

4. Ascanio was a breath of fresh air. He should have done better on a few of his early cross but he was attacking and making things happen. Great addition.

I'd play the same team next week with the exception of possibly moving Riggi and finding a spot for Ponce, or he can just come off the bench.

19 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I'd play the same team next week with the exception of possibly moving Riggi and finding a spot for Ponce, or he can just come off the bench.

Riggi pickup his 4th yellow... will miss the next game. (If I am not mistaken)

Edited by K Edgar

31 minutes ago, jordan said:

Definitely signed with a view to play 

Him and Romeo going forward?

I think Mikhael is done now. I get the impression that PDS doesn't rate him that highly. Someone is definitely going to leave though, given what the Northern Tribune (I think) article said.

On 7/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, Soccerpro2 said:

1. AJB makes or breaks the team. Simple as that. Even better that he keeps Cebara on the bench as Cebara generally coughs up one stupid goal a game for the opposition.

2. Our CM, especially in the 1st half, were playing progressive in a way I had not really seen at home so far this year.  I think Fordyce has to stay on the bench. He does too many back and sideways passes and kills attacks. Rendon may not have lit things up in his debut, but he contributed to dominating the midfield and playing progressively. Same with Guti.

3. Levis and especially Baquero were good at wingback today.  Can't start Pena again until one of them loses their spots.

4. Ascanio was a breath of fresh air. He should have done better on a few of his early cross but he was attacking and making things happen. Great addition.

I have to agree with this assessment. I was at the game myself, thought it was a real good performance for valour. Nice to have an actual full line up to choose from. Ascanio's delivery was outstanding. The three loans from montreal have some real potential

On 7/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, Soccerpro2 said:

Mekideche is an interesting addition.  If he is as strong a player as advertised -- with "MLS ambitions" -- then Romeo may become a 3rd choice behind ABJ and MekidecheCebara would be redeployed to RB or midfield?  Personally wouldn't mind a lineup where Cebara and Fordyce are backups.

16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Mekideche is an interesting addition.  If he is as strong a player as advertised -- with "MLS ambitions" -- then Romeo may become a 3rd choice behind ABJ and MekidecheCebara would be redeployed to RB or midfield?  Personally wouldn't mind a lineup where Cebara and Fordyce are backups.

how much does fordyce have left?

On 7/15/2022 at 5:47 AM, top cheese said:

I have to agree with this assessment. I was at the game myself, thought it was a real good performance for valour. Nice to have an actual full line up to choose from. Ascanio's delivery was outstanding. The three loans from montreal have some real potential

Who's the third loan from Montreal?

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Last season was meant to be his last, but, apparently, his Mrs convinced him to come back for one more crack at the title. Honestly? If this is his last season, I hope they can find a backroom role for him so he can stick around.

I assume this is Fordyce's last season.  Perhaps he can take a role with FC Manitoba like Paolucci?

4 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I assume this is Fordyce's last season.  Perhaps he can take a role with FC Manitoba like Paolucci?

All you have to do is watch some of the videos Akio has posted or look at how he defended Akio after the HFX game to see how respected he is amongst the squad and how he kinda looks after the younger squad members.

If this is his last season, he will be missed by both the club and the supporters.

On the subject of FC Manitoba, I still think we need to have an annual friendly with them for "bragging rights".

Edited by EnigMattic1