Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

9 hours ago, Moore204 said:

The only thing i don't like about our schedule is that we still have games against HFX and FCE. We really can't afford to play down to FCE again, and we need to finally get a win at Wanderers Grounds for once.

I don't what sort of travel arrangements Valour has used in the past when visiting Halifax but they really should do something different.  Or maybe a stricter curfew on the playes when there.  SOMETHING needs to change because yeesh, that town gets the better of them.

7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Who is this idiot?

What do they call this is Britain...a "great escape?"  Who would have thought they would turn things around?? 

11 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I don't what sort of travel arrangements Valour has used in the past when visiting Halifax but they really should do something different.  Or maybe a stricter curfew on the playes when there.  SOMETHING needs to change because yeesh, that town gets the better of them.

Maybe the Halifax nightlife is too much for our guys?

Playoff race: Valour currently at 36 points with 5 games remaining.  How many points will it take to make the playoffs?  42 (6 points in 5 games) I don't think will be enough; 45 (9 points in 5 games) should be fairly safe.  43 or 44 points could go either way.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Playoff race: Valour currently at 36 points with 5 games remaining.  How many points will it take to make the playoffs?  42 (6 points in 5 games) I don't think will be enough; 45 (9 points in 5 games) should be fairly safe.  43 or 44 points could go either way.

If we divide the league into playoff contenders (5) and bottom feeders (3), this is the number of matches each playoff contender has vs another playoff contender and vs a bottom feeder.

Pacific: 4 vs another contender, 2 vs a bottom feeder

Ottawa: 3 and 2

Cavalry: 4 and 1

Forge: 3 and 3

Valour: 2 and 3

Also of note, Valour and Ottawa only have 1 home match remaining. With so many matches between playoff contenders, there are lots of points that will be split or dropped.

I agree with your conclusion that 45 should be enough. I wouldn't be surprised if 43 does the business too but we'll see. Somebody more math and computer inclined could easily hack together something that simulates the rest of the season 10000 times and develop some playoff probability percentages. I notice that a site that does that for some leagues, including CPL, is no longer updating (sportclubstats.com)

50 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/its-do-or-die-and-now-or-never-for-us-and-we-have-to-continue-to-make-the-most-of-it-and-capitalize-on-it

"Stefan Cebara “We’ve beaten every single team in this league..."" -- Stefan you are forgetting Edmontonbeat the Eddie’s yet again and miss the playoffs as a result.

Imagine if they fail to beat the Eddie’s yet again.

Didnt Valour lose to the Eddie’s at the end of last year with the playoffs on the line?

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Valour's defense has been consistent in recent games (3 goals against in last 8 games!).  But the offense has stopped producing goals (4 goals for in the last 6 games).  Who is going to step up and score for this team in the final 4 games?  Dyer, De Brienne, Rea, Ponce, Forbes, Riggi?

image.png.c0050fc9ff1d99590522e2ce16bedd37.png

We need to try and have a playoff place secured before we play Edmonton as you can just guarantee that we will slip up against them. Looking at the remaining fixtures, we know we can beat everyone except Edmonton and we have played all bar Ottawa in the last month and a half.

Who will step up? I think de Brienne will put in a good showing as he is, effectively, playing for a contract. Rea is fairly consistent and will probably chip in with a goal or two, Dyer seems to be lacking without Akio. Forbes was only ever going to be a backup after Akio left but, now Ascanio has gone, he will likely get game time. However, I fear it is too late for him to find his groove. Ponce and Riggi have the potential to get goals (Riggi started the season hot), but they don't seem to have the consistency.

Defensively, we are sound. Offensively, we are lacking. Sure, we win games, but we can't keep relying on scraping a 1-0 win. We need to start looking for someone who can get the goals we need to really challenge.

16 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Who will step up? I think de Brienne will put in a good showing as he is, effectively, playing for a contract. Rea is fairly consistent and will probably chip in with a goal or two, Dyer seems to be lacking without Akio. Forbes was only ever going to be a backup after Akio left but, now Ascanio has gone, he will likely get game time. However, I fear it is too late for him to find his groove. Ponce and Riggi have the potential to get goals (Riggi started the season hot), but they don't seem to have the consistency.

Based upon play over the last month De Brienne would be the one with a Valour contract locked for next season.  Dyer, Ponce, Forbes (assuming his Detroit contract is up) and Ricci should all be fighting for their spots in next years lineup.  If the defense continues their solid play and a playoff spot is missed due to lack of goal scoring then Valour's offensive lineup will be overhauled during the off season.  They know it -- they should all be highly motivated.