Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

^  If he signs with Ross County it'll be for the post CPL season, no?  I guess some arrangement could be made between the clubs to release him early, you don't want to be seen holding back a player's ambition, but still, that would be a harsh blow to Valour.  I can understand why Akio would want to jump ship in mid season to get in with his new employer and no, it's not his fault that the season in Scotland kicks off so early this year but that would be a pretty dick move.

Don't get me wrong, I'll forgive him.  But still a dick move. 

More I think about it the more I think it's a good next step for the man.  Very good.  LOL, going to be an adjustment to be sure.  THAT is small town life. 

P.S.  I'd trade IG Field for Victoria Park in a heartbeat (with some small improvements of course 🙂). 

32 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^  If he signs with Ross County it'll be for the post CPL season, no?  I guess some arrangement could be made between the clubs to release him early, you don't want to be seen holding back a player's ambition, but still, that would be a harsh blow to Valour.  I can understand why Akio would want to jump ship in mid season to get in with his new employer and no, it's not his fault that the season in Scotland kicks off so early this year but that would be a pretty dick move.

Don't get me wrong, I'll forgive him.  But still a dick move. 

More I think about it the more I think it's a good next step for the man.  Very good.  LOL, going to be an adjustment to be sure.  THAT is small town life. 

P.S.  I'd trade IG Field for Victoria Park in a heartbeat (with some small improvements of course 🙂). 

Don't get me wrong, fair play to him if he does get the chance. I mean, lets be honest, at the moment, the CPL would rank below the SPL in terms of league quality (if only because of how young the CPL is) so, having the chance to test himself at a higher level will only be a good thing for him.

However, my concern with this (other than rating Akio highly and him being one of my 2 favourite players at the club) is simply the fact that the team is weak enough as it is. Now, should Akio go, Ascanio is still having visa issues meaning the other options for right wing would be Gutierrez (leaving us short at right back), Rea (giving us less options in the centre), Dyer (leaving us short up front) or (worst case scenario) Cebara.

That would also raise the question, should Akio leave on loan, would that then give us the opportunity to sign another player? I know former Valour midfielder Louis Beland-Goyette is back in Canada after cutting his spell in Malta short and that would allow Rea to play out wide by offering options in the centre.

1 hour ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Don't get me wrong, fair play to him if he does get the chance. I mean, lets be honest, at the moment, the CPL would rank below the SPL in terms of league quality (if only because of how young the CPL is) so, having the chance to test himself at a higher level will only be a good thing for him.

However, my concern with this (other than rating Akio highly and him being one of my 2 favourite players at the club) is simply the fact that the team is weak enough as it is. Now, should Akio go, Ascanio is still having visa issues meaning the other options for right wing would be Gutierrez (leaving us short at right back), Rea (giving us less options in the centre), Dyer (leaving us short up front) or (worst case scenario) Cebara.

That would also raise the question, should Akio leave on loan, would that then give us the opportunity to sign another player? I know former Valour midfielder Louis Beland-Goyette is back in Canada after cutting his spell in Malta short and that would allow Rea to play out wide by offering options in the centre.

Would Louis Beland-Goyette be a target for Cavalry to replace Lutori?

Akio is our primary offensive threat. He was great last year. This season the game plan seems to be just hit long diagonals in his direction and hope he out runs his mark.

Like the rest of the team, Akio has been poor this year. 

I’m sure he can rediscover his form again in another league.

If you’re him, why wouldn’t you want to get the hell out of dodge as soon as you possibly can??

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Akio is our primary offensive threat. He was great last year. This season the game plan seems to be just hit long diagonals in his direction and hope he out runs his mark.

Like the rest of the team, Akio has been poor this year. 

I’m sure he can rediscover his form again in another league.

If you’re him, why wouldn’t you want to get the hell out of dodge as soon as you possibly can??

Do you think that there would be enough quality in, lets say, League1 Ontario to get a replacement in? I don't mean that in a negative way, I am just concerned that, if he does leave, PDS will look towards South America again. Sure, there are a few players at Guelph that I think could do a job (Artemenko and Kotsopoulos) and Monney at BVB IA looks promising, especially for his age, but could someone replace the likes of Akio (on last seasons form)?

10 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Do you think that there would be enough quality in, lets say, League1 Ontario to get a replacement in? I don't mean that in a negative way, I am just concerned that, if he does leave, PDS will look towards South America again. Sure, there are a few players at Guelph that I think could do a job (Artemenko and Kotsopoulos) and Monney at BVB IA looks promising, especially for his age, but could someone replace the likes of Akio (on last seasons form)?

There’s no way he can be adequately replaced.

Do I think we have a shot at the playoffs even if he stays? No.

Valour isn’t exactly a destination players are dying to join. If he’s prevented from joining his new team when Cavalry let’s his brother go to Ross County right away, it’s going to be even tougher to attract players to the club with that reputation.

Edited by Soccerpro2

28 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

There’s no way he can be adequately replaced.

Do I think we have a shot at the playoffs even if he stays? No.

Valour isn’t exactly a destination players are dying to join. If he’s prevented from joining his new team when Cavalry let’s his brother go to Ross County right away, it’s going to be even tougher to attract players to the club with that reputation.

I honestly think, in terms of attractivity, most players would be put off by the high turnover of players. Teams like Forge tend to keep a large number of players compared to Valour. Since the league started, only Ohin and Pena are still at Valour.

Granted, Akio would be hard to replace, but I am starting to think that it is time to clear the board and start again. There are certain players who always seem to put in that extra 10% compared to others (Fordy, de Brienne, Catavolo) whereas others just seem to go through the motions.

I am inclined to agree with your comment about us failing to reach the playoffs. There has to be a point where PDS needs to start casting an eye towards next season. One would assume that players like Romeo and de Brienne have a contract for another year after this one and maybe PDS should look at replacing the likes of Fordy (who said that last seson ws supposed to be his final season), Levis, AJB and Cebara.

2 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

It appears that Twitter is heating up with regards to Akio leaving. It has been confirmed that Ross County are close to signing another CPL player and Akio has also been linked with Dundee United.

I think the previous link was with Dundee FC and not Dundee United. The team Jay Chapman plays for (and former team of Marcus Haber)

7 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think the previous link was with Dundee FC and not Dundee United. The team Jay Chapman plays for (and former team of Marcus Haber)

I was almost correct. Still seems like Akio is on his way though. Which is a shame.

Wasn't Chapman on Inter Miami's books at one point? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Edited by EnigMattic1

8 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I was almost correct. Still seems like Akio is on his way though. Which is a shame.

Wasn't Chapman on Inter Miami's books at one point? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Would be disappointing to see Akio leave, if he does.  But with his potential it is not a surprise, although I expected him to remain with Valour until the end of this season especially with his less than stellar production this year.  On the other hand it would be great to see him move to a higher level and elevate his game.

Replacement... would Attardo be available to return to the CPL?   (Just a thought)

15 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Ya. Chapman was on Inter Miami in 2021.

Played way more there than in SPL

11 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Would be disappointing to see Akio leave, if he does.  But with his potential it is not a surprise, although I expected him to remain with Valour until the end of this season especially with his less than stellar production this year.  On the other hand it would be great to see him move to a higher level and elevate his game.

Replacement... would Attardo be available to return to the CPL?   (Just a thought)

Attardo is currently playing for US Granvillaise in the French Championnat National 2 Groupe A (unless they got promoted/relegated), but I believe that was on loan from a team in Chile (Arturo Fernandez Vial?) Either way, it was only a short term contract which, possibly, is up this month (according to our friends at Transfermarkt).

Would he be open to a return? I have no idea. Would I want to see him back? Definitely.

Further to this, Arturo Fernandez Vial are a second division team in Chile........... Isn't that where PDS likes to shop???

Edited by EnigMattic1

Catavolo impressing in U20 tournament.

Played full games vs Cuba - yellow card

Subed in 60 min vs US - his cross resulted in an own goal

Started and played 75 minutes vs St Kitts Nevis - 1 goal (should have credit for 1st goal too??)

Deserving of more minutes with Valour???

Edited by K Edgar

12 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Started and played 75 minutes vs St Kitts Nevis - 1 goal (should have credit for 1st goal too??)

Kind of goes back to the comment about the young Canadians being hungry and more likely to put in the extra 10% when things get tough.

16 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I’ve watched all his games this year for Valour. More deserving of time? No.

If he’s doing well with the u20s, good to hear, but that doesn’t entitle him to any extra time in the CPL.

St Kitts and Cuba are a different level than Forge or Cavalry.

Edited by Soccerpro2

I'm torn.  Sucks to lose him, but the chances of attracting another promising youngster  goes up everytime someone transfers out.  Brings up the stature of the entire league.

WHen I first heard of him I checked out the youtube channel documenting his college soccer experience, training and he just seemed like such an infectious hardworking kid. Good for him...his style should work well over in Scotland.   

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm torn.  Sucks to lose him, but the chances of attracting another promising youngster  goes up everytime someone transfers out.  Brings up the stature of the entire league.

WHen I first heard of him I checked out the youtube channel documenting his college soccer experience, training and he just seemed like such an infectious hardworking kid. Good for him...his style should work well over in Scotland.   

Anyone would hate to lose a player of his calibre. But, at the same time, it would be unfair to hold him back. He was always very encouraging and informative with his Youtube videos and, with the way some of them went, I would imagine that a few of the team would miss him too.