Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

2 VFC's?  Not nearly as bad as 2 Roughriders in the CFL for years.  Perhaps there is a marketing opportunity in it?

Too early to be optimistic about Valour's rebuild for 2023.  Every year there is a major overhaul -- this year it will be the offense.  I believe PDS can do the job but the tight Valour budget will make it tough.  Hopefully he has learned from this year (Esparza, Riggi, Rendon,...).  Perhaps he looks further south this year?  With Argentina's inflation out of control there will be players looking elsewhere to make a living.  (Not that looking south has worked in the past :()

Don't think USports draft will play a major role.  As the level of play improves in the CPL the recruits from the draft are increasingly likely to be periphery players.  None of the 2022 draft choices made a large impact in the league (Coore and Gander are arguably the exceptions).  Valour signing de Brienne before the draft turned out to be a good move.  Hopefully he returns in 2023 and continues to improve and contribute to the team.  Carlos was a good draft choice but his minutes were limited, perhaps he has more to offer in 2023.  Not sure what happened to Lyn.  I would not expect any of the 2023 choices to play more than Carlos did this year.

Yeah, Lyn was an interesting one. There appeared to be a lot of positive talk about him from various places, but he just vanished. Did he even get on the pitch? I can't help but think that Ponce was signed to try and convince Gutierrez to come back. I seriously think that Valour need to take a look at League1 and see if anyone there stands out. I mean, Artemenko wouldn't have been a bad shout to push Rayane.

I am surprised that Carlos didn't get more minutes given that Ohin was out for the season and he appeared to have a decent pre season. I believe that de Brienne still has a lot to offer Valour and it is worth remembering that he can also play left back (especially if we end up with another Esparza).

Haven’t been paying attention lately but I personally hope the rebuild is all South American players and they all have Visa issues and we’re forced to put out FC Manitoba players and bring back Skyler Thomas and Jordan Murrell for the first half of the year. 

Bonus points if Murrell kicks a table.

Edited by Wippersuna

Adam Mitter can assistant coach and by assistant coach I mean he can sit on the sidelines swearing at everyone. 

This conversation has made me realize the last couple years were actually amazing when compared to year one. Maybe the Bombers can use that in their marketing. 

Edited by Wippersuna

On 10/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, Bison44 said:

When the trench fires up the " VFC VFC" chant my son thinks its  "KFC KFC" and wants to go for chicken after the game.  

LOL.  Last season a group of Celtic yobs were in front of us in my section and they were killing themselves chanting "KFC" whenever the VFC chant came down the 'stand.  It was pretty funny for about 4 1/2 seconds.

Know a couple of them.  And yes, they are twats.  

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Next game I am at I'll leave my Celtic gear at home, sorry about that.  

LOL.  Well unless your son is in his 40s I think your group are off the hook.

Wondering when the renewals will be coming out.  Have it in my head getting the calls/texts in November last year with renewals being processed the 1st week of January. 

Got an email yesterday about my renewal. I’d imagine you should get it soon or maybe it’s in your Junk. Opt out is November 15. 

Looks like they’re including parking this year which I guess is good? I mean as far as I could tell you could just come 5 minutes late when parking staff had already left but hey. 

22 hours ago, Wippersuna said:

Got an email yesterday about my renewal. I’d imagine you should get it soon or maybe it’s in your Junk. Opt out is November 15. 

Looks like they’re including parking this year which I guess is good? I mean as far as I could tell you could just come 5 minutes late when parking staff had already left but hey. 

I've never driven to a Valour match before. What do they charge for parking?

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

9 listed as returning: Yesli, AJB, Baquero, Ohin, Gutierrez, Rendon, Ponce, Catavolo, de Brienne

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-2022-recap-part-two

(... should be in a new 2023 season thread)

Anyone else you would keep? Personally, I'd keep Mekedeche and Romeo to add some more height in the box alongside AJB (those three with Yesli would dominate in the air...... Theoretically) and I'd keep Levis and Cebara for versatility.