Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

16 hours ago, jonovision said:

For whatever it's worth, transfermarkt has him 6th (Rendon, Rea, Dyer, Romeo, Levis, Forbes).

They also  have Arnold Bouka Moutou next. Is he still on the books?

Yeah. They also still have Soto and Barker.

Speaking of websites, did anyone else notice Akio was removed from the CPL page within hours of him leaving, but Mekideche has only just been added despite arriving almost a week before Akio left?

I was wondering why Valour FC had never recruited from U of Manitoba in the USports draft then I found there is no team...  Why is there no men's Soccer teams at U Manitoba or U Winnipeg?  They both have women's teams.  U Manitoba should add a men's team to complement the FC Manitoba as options for development within Manitoba.  This would benefit Valour.

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

I was wondering why Valour FC had never recruited from U of Manitoba in the USports draft then I found there is no team...  Why is there no men's Soccer teams at U Manitoba or U Winnipeg?  They both have women's teams.  U Manitoba should add a men's team to complement the FC Manitoba as options for development within Manitoba.  This would benefit Valour.

I attended U of M in the late nineties and there wasn't a men's team there then nor since. Honestly don't know if there ever was. I believe the U of W team ceased to exist 7 or 8 years ago which is odd as the Axworthy Recplex, a pretty impressive indoor soccer/sport complex directly attached to the university, opened in 2014. There is another full-sized  indoor soccer complex on the U of M campus which opened up on 2008 and another in the north of the city which opened in 2016. So the infrastructure is there. Perhaps it's a coaching issue? All that being said, I completely agree with you. It's a shame there are no men's U-sports soccer in the city. A huge gap in development and soccer culture in general.

19 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I attended U of M in the late nineties and there wasn't a men's team there then nor since. Honestly don't know if there ever was. I believe the U of W team ceased to exist 7 or 8 years ago which is odd as the Axworthy Recplex, a pretty impressive indoor soccer/sport complex directly attached to the university, opened in 2014. There is another full-sized  indoor soccer complex on the U of M campus which opened up on 2008 and another in the north of the city which opened in 2016. So the infrastructure is there. Perhaps it's a coaching issue? All that being said, I completely agree with you. It's a shame there are no men's U-sports soccer in the city. A huge gap in development and soccer culture in general.

I know it's not the same thing, but I know Red River College scrapped their athletics programme last year (I believe). Something to do with focusing on other areas (don't quote me on that). I know where you are coming from though, Manitoba being as big as it is and no men's soccer at either of the universities.

Agree with @K Edgar though, seems even more weird when you take into account there are women's teams at both universities, yet no men's teams.

It makes you wonder though, should Valour improve, would the universities consider having a men's team? I mean, it can't be through lack of interest from students, surely?

Found the article for RRC:

Red River

Edited by EnigMattic1
Link to article

On 7/25/2022 at 12:45 PM, EnigMattic1 said:

I know it's not the same thing, but I know Red River College scrapped their athletics programme last year (I believe). Something to do with focusing on other areas (don't quote me on that). I know where you are coming from though, Manitoba being as big as it is and no men's soccer at either of the universities.

Agree with @K Edgar though, seems even more weird when you take into account there are women's teams at both universities, yet no men's teams.

It makes you wonder though, should Valour improve, would the universities consider having a men's team? I mean, it can't be through lack of interest from students, surely?

Found the article for RRC:

Red River

I think part of the reason for there being a women's Bisons team, but not men's, is to keep the number of athletic programs for both sexes equal, since women don't take part in gridiron football.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I think part of the reason for there being a women's Bisons team, but not men's, is to keep the number of athletic programs for both sexes equal, since women don't take part in gridiron football.

Is that a thing? Makes sense if so. But U of M has Men's Football but no Women's Soccer. U of W has Women's Soccer but no Men's Football. Clear as mud

Edited by johnyb

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

Is that a thing? Makes sense if so. But U of M has Men's Football but no Women's Soccer. U of W has Women's Soccer but no Men's Football. Clear as mud

I think that is the reason that uOttawa does not have a Men’s Varsity soccer team. Or rugby team for that matter too.  Must keep the balance between Men and Women varsity participant numbers as close as possible. 

I cant speak to u of W but u of m does not have a mens soccer team because of gender equity. They have a rule with varsity sport where the womens and mens program get equal funding. Where the mens side has highly funded sports in football and hockey they dont have mens soccer. Yes its an utterly stupid rule. 

With the number of Manitobians who are leaving the province to play usport and ncaa soccer its safe to assume that there would be a very good men's side there if there was a couple imports added. 

Well, Valour got hijacked by Manitoba ... I suspect there is a significant logistics factor - as well as other aspects such as equity - competition in southern Ontariowe is easy - lots of it within 2 hour drive; similar story lower mainland BC. Kamloops and northern universities have each other but still quite far to go for majority season games. Who would Manitoba face? What kind of logistics we talking? How much fly time, etc. As my son went through BC lower mainland university soccer, I noticed scheduling got a lot smarter so that by his end of studies, double header weekends in same location were happening. Logistics.

58 minutes ago, wallflower said:

Well, Valour got hijacked by Manitoba ... I suspect there is a significant logistics factor - as well as other aspects such as equity - competition in southern Ontariowe is easy - lots of it within 2 hour drive; similar story lower mainland BC. Kamloops and northern universities have each other but still quite far to go for majority season games. Who would Manitoba face? What kind of logistics we talking? How much fly time, etc. As my son went through BC lower mainland university soccer, I noticed scheduling got a lot smarter so that by his end of studies, double header weekends in same location were happening. Logistics.

Same teams the women play I assume? Canada West: https://canadawest.org/standings.aspx?standings=134

same teams play in Canada West. 

personally speaking, its just common sense that u of m would have a men's team that was linked to FC Manitoba and Valour. Seems like there is a lot of politics in MB Soccer lots of groups trying to control the market rather then doing whats best for the players. 

25 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

There is a team in Zone 12 of the AAA Varsity Boys Soccer division of the Manitoba High School Soccer Association called the University of Winnipeg Collegiate Wesmen. I have no idea what that is though.

U of Winnipeg Collegiate is a high school within the UofW... so this is a high school team

20 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

So there is a high school IN the university? Or does the university run the high school? I'm in the UK and that just confuses the hell out of me.

Both -- the high school is run by the university and the high school uses building(s?) within the university campus.

https://collegiate.uwinnipeg.ca/about/index.html

Edited by K Edgar

There's still quite a bit of Scotland north of Dingwall and that helps increase the population of the catchment area they draw fans from. By Scottish standards it's a long way from Edinburgh and Glasgow but it's about the same in driving terms as something like Kingston to Toronto that Canadians are less daunted by.

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's still quite a bit of Scotland north of Dingwall and that helps increase the population of the catchment area they draw fans from. By Scottish standards it's a long way from Edinburgh and Glasgow but it's about the same in driving terms as something like Kingston to Toronto that Canadians are less daunted by.

Cool thanks. The northern most quarter of Scotland then? Still, seems to be buttfuck nowhere lol.

Not really Valour related - but I figured this is the best place to reach other Winnipeg Football fans:

If anyone else is a fan of the premier league - and fantasy football - please feel free to join our Winnipeg league. It is run through the official Premier League site/app and is free to play. There are prizes through the site. We've been running this league for quite a few years and always looking for more football fans from the Peg.

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use the link below and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game.
League Code: pxzct8