Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

56 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Thanks. I knew Diego Gutierrez wasn't his full name, but from the image I saw on Twitter, I could only make out the "uniga".

Although born in Quebec to Chilean parents, Diego was raised in Chile where both paternal and maternal last names form  part of his legal name.  Zuniga is his mother’s last name and he opted to honor her this way. 

2 hours ago, charlesmazz said:

Although born in Quebec to Chilean parents, Diego was raised in Chile where both paternal and maternal last names form  part of his legal name.  Zuniga is his mother’s last name and he opted to honor her this way. 

Does his brother do the same or is that just something he does?

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/we-have-guys-who-have-seen-a-lot-and-played-a-lot-and-theyre-starting-to-come-together-as-a-team

"Valour will be without fullback Andy Baquero on Sunday as he serves a suspension for yellow-card accumulation. Left back Brett Levis is also listed as day-to-day with a knock."

Who are next in the depth charts behind Baquero and Levis??  PenaCebara?  Romeo (out of position?), Mikhael or Esparza?

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

^ And been better than fair at the task the whole time.  

Really, Levis and Baquero have both more than pulled their weight this season.  Their contributions, to my eye, haven't been lost with the improvements Valour of have made over the course of this season.   

Honestly? I think Levis has been plagued by confidence issues more than anything. He would pick up a knock and it would affect him mentally. On his day, he deserves a starting spot and, given a decent run, he does show his worth. Both him and Baquero offer a lot of versatility in the team. 

Next in line? Pena on the left, Cebara on the right. Mikhael can play either side, but I feel he is done at Valour. Esparza, however, could take the spot ahead of Pena. 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, K Edgar said:

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/we-have-guys-who-have-seen-a-lot-and-played-a-lot-and-theyre-starting-to-come-together-as-a-team

"Valour will be without fullback Andy Baquero on Sunday as he serves a suspension for yellow-card accumulation. Left back Brett Levis is also listed as day-to-day with a knock."

Who are next in the depth charts behind Baquero and Levis??  PenaCebara?  Romeo (out of position?), Mikhael or Esparza?

21 hours ago, jonovision said:

I have to give Levis credit -- this most recent stretch is probably the longest he's gone without being hurt in years.

Cebara filled in for Baquero today.  Levis picked up a yellow and will be suspended for the HFX game.

With two 2-0 wins in the week, hard to say that 5 players in the TOTW is not deserved.

With only 10 games left in the regular season, I still think the 5 point gap to a playoff spot will be a tough one to close. Valour will be counting on one of the top 4 stumbling big time (and really, it's not going to be Forge) and have very little room for error themselves. The Pacific result from a few weeks ago really stings now, as had the result been flipped they'd be tied with Valour for 4th.

But this team is producing better and more consistent performances than any other stretch in the team's existence. They are fun to watch, and the frequent moments of near-comical ineptitude of past seasons have been rare in 2022. Credit has to go to PDS, both for the preparation of his team as a coach, but also much better roster building. I still think Valour has less talent than most other teams in the league (Halifax and Edmonton excepted) but the gap has closed.

Fair play to Rayane. Being at the club before and not getting a chance, coming back from elsewhere, working hard to earn a chance and pull off 2 consecutive clean sheets. Having to compete with a keeper like Sirois can only be a good thing for him. Will Sirois be back next season? Who knows? Will Rayane be back? Quite possibly.

Hard to say what Montreal will do with their keepers, but its been great for Valour and for Sirois for him to get all this playing time on loan.   Greedily I would still like to see it be our "own keeper" blossom, and maybe we can sell him on, and feed the ever growing pool of guys in the wings for CMNT.  

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hard to say what Montreal will do with their keepers, but its been great for Valour and for Sirois for him to get all this playing time on loan.   Greedily I would still like to see it be our "own keeper" blossom, and maybe we can sell him on, and feed the ever growing pool of guys in the wings for CMNT.  

Wouldn't say no to Rayane battling it out with Artemenko next season. After all the reports that came out when Artemenko went to fight for the Ukraine, it appears that he still has a good relationship with out GK coach.

Also, unless things have changed, Sirois contract at Montreal expires in December, as does Rea's.

Edited by EnigMattic1

42 minutes ago, top cheese said:

I can see another season of CPL for Sirois and Rea. I see them both as MLS players but I think at this stage of their development they'll need to keep playing regular minutes. 

Not sure about Sirois, as I don't rate him as highly as most, and I don't see Pantemis or Breza moving on soon. I think Montreal will want Rea back in the fold as an option of Mihailovic is transferred, as he surely will be.

Edited by jonovision

Think there is a bit of excitement about Yelsi, and quite rightly.  I'd have him under a multi-year so fast his head would spin, however...he hasn't been tested has he?  He's interesting, I've written that, but I'm no fortune teller.  Suggesting we should see him properly bloodied a bit more before writing Sirois off as yesterday's news. 

Sirois is going to have a professional career waaaaay beyond CPL, I'll bet money on that. Yelsi, maybe.  But that's what the CPL is about.  Show me. 

Do not envy Dos Santos on this question.  Think he's handling it right, though.  Be honest with the lads even if it is harsh.  That's the world of football.  Dog eats dog, especially when it comes to 'keepers.  And not everyone is cut out for that reality.  For them there is no alternative.  You're not getting played out of position in a pinch are you?  

Pretty bloody interesting though.  Who thought Valour would ever has this sort of a puzzel?    

Cheeta, dont you think Yesli getting games now has more to do with Dos Santos covering his bases.  I dont think Yesli playing has anything to do with him being better than Sirois right now, more of DosSantos being cagey.  Sirois could be gone back to Montreal and if he doesnt give Yesli some game time he has missed the boat eh?  Like you said, if Yesli is decent sign him up and put the effort/time into him and not as much into developing Sirois for montreal.