Valour FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

His child was born there last year, his wife I believe is an insurance exec with work in Winnipeg, and had a strong career path. May be back at it.

He sees he can play as well as set up his own soccer academy, which could be an income stream. 

For a guy who has bounced around 14 clubs, and many countries, the fact that he finds Manitoba his place to settle has to be flattering, it honours the welcome he's received and his perception of Canada, beyond his criticism of the league's antiquated way of dealing with player working and contract conditions.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 12/19/2021 at 8:31 PM, Bison44 said:

Is Galan worth keeping? I guess it will depend on who is coming in??  Will they use all the cap money and upgrade midfield a bit??  I sure hope they get AKio back, he has found his feet at this level and seems like a infectious guy that makes it easy to be a fan favorite.  

Galan could be as a bench player & veteran for the young guys, although I question if it makes more sense to hire him for a role within the organization rather than on the pitch. Part of the coaching staff maybe? 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:33 AM, K Edgar said:

transfermarkt website lists Arnold Bouka Moutou as "without club" having departed Valour FC on Dec 1.  No other recent departures from Valour are listed.

Not surprised - he was one of the weakest defenders for Valour in 2021. Only played half the games and just wasn't good. Plus he's 33. Galhardo is 30 and had WAY more to offer this year.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Hope Galhardo returns. ABM was a washout. Seemed like an amazing signing. Didn't pan out at all. 

Still think those kind of scrap heap signings are worth a punt for the league though, within reason and cost.

100% - he played significant minutes in Ligue1 so the pedigree is there. You just don't know.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, T_Bison said:

Galan could be as a bench player & veteran for the young guys, although I question if it makes more sense to hire him for a role within the organization rather than on the pitch. Part of the coaching staff maybe? 

Wrote it before, write it again, he's a dead ringer for a legacy signing.  Exactly the sort of veteran Valour (and others) should be getting into this town with the objective of keeping them here as part of a growing infrastructure.

Don't see a way forward for him on-field, but from everyone I've talked to with kids who've been lucky enough to spent some time in clinics with him, they just rave.  And these are educated parents, the sort that enroll the tykes in every footie program they can.  So good catch if we can one way or another keep him gainfully employed.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/i-want-continuity-and-players-who-relate-with-the-fans-and-the-organization-because-thats-how-you-build-a-culture-and-a-locker-room-valour-fc-year-in-review

Raphael Ohin is signed (as are Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Stefan Cebara, Diego Gutiérrez)

- “We have a good core that brings stability coming back,” said Dos Santos. “I was showing our board to our staff the other day: if we have a game tomorrow, we would already be able to fill a good starting 11" (I assume that would include Akio, Ricci, Dyer, Pena, Baquero, Mikhael, Silva)

Edited by K Edgar

Wow 

No problems with keeping Fordyce around on the staff and in the community but am floored by this. Thought he was terrible in year one and year two was even more anonymous. Maybe I am completely out to lunch here the last paragraph is a bit harsh but thought he was a waste of a roster spot that could have been taken by a better player, Canadian or not.

“I want to win the league before I have to retire,”  - Good luck to everyone at Valour. 

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Wow 

No problems with keeping Fordyce around on the staff and in the community but am floored by this. Thought he was terrible in year one and year two was even more anonymous. Maybe I am completely out to lunch here the last paragraph is a bit harsh but thought he was a waste of a roster spot that could have been taken by a better player, Canadian or not.

“I want to win the league before I have to retire,”  - Good luck to everyone at Valour. 

Veteran players have there place but Valour has many: (too many?)

Galan (35), Fordyce (35 - re-signed), Moutou (33 - likely gone), Cebara (30 - re-signed), Galhardo (30), Silva (30)

"How many of these players could be replaced by a younger player of equal or better quality without hurting the team?" is a question worth asking.  The league is supposed to promote young players, does any other CPL team have more >=30 players?