Match Thread: The Final - December 5, 2021 - Forge v Pacific

narduch

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Really discouraging to browse around the websites of the sports networks, newspapers, and even the CBC.  This game is completely in the witness protection 

It was the same with TFC in the early years. One radio station suggested a survey to see if their listeners even wanted them to report TFC results. The DJ seemed annoyed with even mentioning soccer. It was very frustrating to hear. On the positive, that has changed a lot and I think it will for the CPL in time. Just need 5 more successful years under our belt. 

^ I agree. I think there's something that could accelerate the process, a breakout player (doing well in MLS, then Europe) or something like a Forge v TFC Canadian championship final. I think the league does a decent job of covering itself, similar to what the MLS did early in its existence and still does today  - though only downside to that is it's hard for them to be subjective on issue that call the league's approach toward things in question. 

19 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

It was the same with TFC in the early years. One radio station suggested a survey to see if their listeners even wanted them to report TFC results. The DJ seemed annoyed with even mentioning soccer. It was very frustrating to hear. On the positive, that has changed a lot and I think it will for the CPL in time. Just need 5 more successful years under our belt. 

The real thing that changed that was TSN getting the MLS contract.  Anyone who doesn't think TSN's actions aren't calculated should remember how they treated TFC before they had the rights.  The league didn't exist to them.  Then they got the rights for that first year with Vancouver and then like magic it's suddenly wall to wall coverage.

I credit Wileman for those interviews but I feel like he's acting alone on this.  

22 minutes ago, SadOnMondays said:

^ I agree. I think there's something that could accelerate the process, a breakout player (doing well in MLS, then Europe) or something like a Forge v TFC Canadian championship final. I think the league does a decent job of covering itself, similar to what the MLS did early in its existence and still does today  - though only downside to that is it's hard for them to be subjective on issue that call the league's approach toward things in question. 

A break-out player might attract attention from the sports reporters, but would it really attract new viewers to the league?  How would a general sports fan feel about watching a league where the good players leave as soon as possible?

1 minute ago, Ftduck said:

Well enough of staring at my phone! Gonna throw on the many layers and head to the game! Here's to what we all hope is an epic battle!🍻 

17 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The real thing that changed that was TSN getting the MLS contract.  Anyone who doesn't think TSN's actions aren't calculated should remember how they treated TFC before they had the rights.  The league didn't exist to them.  Then they got the rights for that first year with Vancouver and then like magic it's suddenly wall to wall coverage.

I credit Wileman for those interviews but I feel like he's acting alone on this.  

Wall to wall coverage of MLS on TSN? Maybe after a big win by TFC or Whitecaps or Montreal , but other than that it’s not like they are showing highlights of other MLS games if it doesn’t include the Canadian teams . Yes they show most of the Canadian MLS teams games but and some non Canadian MLS games but it’s not even close to the coverage they give the NHL, MLB or NBA, NFL or even the CFL and not surprised it isn’t because the ratings are not anywhere close to those leagues , but ya it’s not wall to wall coverage . Moreover, they don’t give much coverage to other Canadian leagues like the Canadian basketball league the CEBL either , so CPL is not the only Canadian pro league that they hardly cover. I’m not saying it’s right I’m just saying that the CPL is not the only Canadian league they don’t cover.

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Moreover, they don’t give much coverage to other Canadian leagues like the Canadian basketball league the CEBL either , so CPL is not the only Canadian pro league that they hardly cover.

TSN is aching for that GTA developed superstar to emerge in the NBA.

29 minutes ago, rkomar said:

A break-out player might attract attention from the sports reporters, but would it really attract new viewers to the league?  How would a general sports fan feel about watching a league where the good players leave as soon as possible?

In the case of hoops, probably better than watching a perceived minor pro league with guys not good enough for the NBA.

52 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I think a break out player would help the league reach and engage more football fans. I think the league needs to be more on their radar before worrying about general sports fans. 

Actually this is something I find totally insane. It is 35 minutes before the leagues biggest game, the last game of the season the championship... and hat is One Soccer doing? Playing a rerun of 'one soccer today'?? Cant pay the guys/Gals an hour wages to do a proper pre-game show? Have a chat with Clanchand, look back on the year - do anything for goodness sakes. This is honesty embarrassing!

2 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Actually this is something I find totally insane. It is 35 minutes before the leagues biggest game, the last game of the season the championship... and hat is One Soccer doing? Playing a rerun of 'one soccer today'?? Cant pay the guys/Gals an hour wages to do a proper pre-game show? Have a chat with Clanchand, look back on the year - do anything for goodness sakes. This is honesty embarrassing!

The worst part is they advertised a 1 hour pre game show.

Was hoping they would have more than canned material 

They have done this for CANMNT games too.

All say it again I know a lot on here don’t want to hear this but even 6000 or 10000 in a 24000 seat stadium is not a good look for the casual , get these teams in smaller stadiums like Pacific and Halifax build the atmosphere. Fill those small stadiums make it look very important by having a packed stadium , playing in these big stadiums is just not the look you want when your trying to sell this league .

It's clear Forge have been playing at a high level lately, also in Concacaf, and they're on the front foot. 

Pacífic are settling a bit.

Hume is not a good colour commentator, he's really irritating. For him a kick with no chance at a ball is not a card, but a Babouli dive on a half body block is. Biases showing. 

4 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I really don't miss the CGI ads on the empty stands.  The place may not be full, but the view on the screen is way better than it was a little while ago.

No comparison to what even a 80% full Langford would be. It'd be hopping, and the crowd would actually react to the play. 

Are there supporter groups in Hamilton? Dead crowd, makes me wonder about sending the NT there. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are there supporter groups in Hamilton? Dead crowd, makes me wonder about sending the NT there. 

Is this a One Soccer issue?

Or stadium design? The field is sort of a wind tunnel and is empty at both ends

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Is this a One Soccer issue?

Or stadium design? The field is sort of a wind tunnel and is empty at both ends

For me it is a One Soccer issue they can't mike the supporter's group, or have someone on the field providing a bit of colour from the benches. Two people for a final, a dry call and Hume's okay commentary in the authentic antiquarian English lower leagues tradition.