2022 Concacaf Champions League

On 4/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Kent said:

I don't want NYCFC to win it all, but I REALLY don't want Seattle to win it all. Come on Pumas/Cruz Azul!

I've spent a lot of time in Seattle and I've got a soft spot for the Sounders, so that's where I'm cheering. I never expected them to become Toronto FC's nemesis though back when I got a Seattle scarf before they started in MLS.

Edited by nfitz

• 2 weeks later...

On livesoccertv.com, it shows the CPL game one OneSoccer at 7pm Mountain Time, and the Champion's League final at 8:30pm Mountain.  So CPL at 9pm and and CCL at 10:30pm for you over in Ontario/Quebec.  So yes there's an overlap, but it seems it will be shown on OneSoccer in the end.  

Edit: There may not actually be an overlap because sometimes the CCL games have started half an hour after they're supposed to, but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Two questionable penalties cancel each other out I guess. That last one was really borderline, in a low percentage chance situation, guess we can't claim refs favouring Mexican teams. Roldan's antics embarrassing, hate to see that. But have to say that the gap has officially closed in terms of the top teams in MLS and Liga MX when they have their top lineups available. Depth still goes to Liga MX though. MLS, just raise the cap already, let teams spread the cash throughout the lineup. 

I didn't watch the game, but fast forwarded through it and watched the goals as I came upon them. 2 penalties that each took 4 minutes between the call and the goal (one of them included a retake). I know it makes me a cranky old man, but those particular video reviews didn't even have a net effect on the game but wasted a lot of time. I guess it would have made a slight difference because the game would have been 1-1 without the reviews and that is a bit better for Pumas than 2-2 because of the away goals rule. But my complaint still stands.

Hopefully there is a Club World Cup this year. I know with the winter World Cup the calendar is off. Also the new format is set to start next year which I hope doesn't happen anyways. I think itvwould be exciting to see the Sounders in what I consider a very underrated Club WC

I'm not a Sounders fan, at all, and would much have preferred to see a Canadian team accomplish the feat of winning the ConcaChampions over a Mexican team for the first time. So I am jealous as well. 

But I do think it is a great step for the narrative, it raises the standard of MLS and having Seattle in the World Club Cup, I suppose next January, will be important.

Having said that: the Club Cup is a poor format and I think is going about things wrong. I don't like it. Here in Europe everyone just assumes the European team will get to the final, with the easy path often given, and really no one even pays attention to results before semis, and even then it's mostly fans of the team involved. Not sure if the mentality in South America is similar. Meaning the previous round matches played are pretty well ignored, and in the world press the Sounders participation will cause a ripple and little more, unless they get to a final.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not a Sounders fan, at all, and would much have preferred to see a Canadian team accomplish the feat of winning the ConcaChampions over a Mexican team for the first time. So I am jealous as well. 

But I do think it is a great step for the narrative, it raises the standard of MLS and having Seattle in the World Club Cup, I suppose next January, will be important.

Having said that: the Club Cup is a poor format and I think is going about things wrong. I don't like it. Here in Europe everyone just assumes the European team will get to the final, with the easy path often given, and really no one even pays attention to results before semis, and even then it's mostly fans of the team involved. Not sure if the mentality in South America is similar. Meaning the previous round matches played are pretty well ignored, and in the world press the Sounders participation will cause a ripple and little more, unless they get to a final.

It's a big deal in South America 

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, SpursFlu said:

Hopefully there is a Club World Cup...

On 5/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sounders fan

With the World Cup in the Middle East, China closed off to the world and Japan not 100% open yet, the US has become the frontrunner to host the FIFA Club World Cup in February 2023.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/report-us-in-contention-to-host-2023-fifa-club-world-cup/3045215/

FIFA could make some proper money by hosting some Sounders matches in Seattle.

(Install temporary grass for the tourney when the NFL season is over?)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With the World Cup in the Middle East, China closed off to the world and Japan not 100% open yet, the US has become the frontrunner to host the FIFA Club World Cup in February 2023.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/report-us-in-contention-to-host-2023-fifa-club-world-cup/3045215/

FIFA could make some proper money by hosting some Sounders matches in Seattle.

(Install temporary grass for the tourney when the NFL season is over?)

I don't think they'll put it in Seattle in February, for weather reasons.  They'll pick LA.

• 4 weeks later...