Jump to content

2022 Concacaf Champions League


Recommended Posts

P.S. I assume the guy that made that tweet just doesn't realize that Vancouver can't get the MLS Cup spot? They could have put an American flag instead of a question mark. Unless I missed something and that rule has changed effective this season instead of in 2024 or whenever the new format is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

 

Their only chance is to crush them at -15C and park the bus at Azteca.

Anyhow - massive exposure for the league, what a stage for the players which will further help attracting talents to the league.

Great opportunity for Forge to sell this game and grow their fanbase

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Are we sure that this draw is random? 2 years in a row where the Canadian team draws the only Mexico team from Pot 2. The odds of that are pretty low.

It was a redraw at that, originally Cruz Azul drew Santos Laguna and of course they had to draw another slot, for some reason I was sure Forge would get Cruz Azul and when the redraw was made I knew how it would work out!😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Are we sure that this draw is random? 2 years in a row where the Canadian team draws the only Mexico team from Pot 2. The odds of that are pretty low.

Seemed fair to me.

The draw was country protected. You couldn't draw a team from your same country. 

Should also note that if Forge and Montreal both advance they would face each other in the next round 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gator said:

It was a redraw at that, originally Cruz Azul drew Santos Laguna and of course they had to draw another slot, for some reason I was sure Forge would get Cruz Azul and when the redraw was made I knew how it would work out!😀

 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Seemed fair to me.

The draw was country protected. You couldn't draw a team from your same country. 

Should also note that if Forge and Montreal both advance they would face each other in the next round 

 

What I meant is the Canadian MLS team drawing the pot 2 Mexican team. There are 5 non Mexican teams in pot 1 (1 Canadian and 4 US). So a 1 in 5 or 20% chance it happens. For that same 1 in 5 chance to happen in consecutive years is about 4%. Very unfortunate luck for TFC last year and Montreal this year to draw that Mexixan team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Pretty fortunate that no MLS teams landed a Mexican club in the first round.  Was that foregone given the pots?  Or is that ensuring a more interesting quarter final?

Montreal did get a Liga MX team.

And yes it's due to seeing. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RJB said:

Pretty fortunate that no MLS teams landed a Mexican club in the first round.  Was that foregone given the pots?  Or is that ensuring a more interesting quarter final?

Pot 1 teams get drawn against Pot 2 teams, and teams from the same country can't be drawn against each other. So Santos Laguna was guaranteed to draw against an MLS team (they got Montreal) and the other 3 Mexican teams were guaranteed to avoid an MLS team in the first round.

image.png.6c8bedf71e02e6587948ce12f763b6a5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RJB said:

Bah!  Conspiracy theories are way more fun. Hehe

As for Montreal, aren't they playing as a Canadian team, and not an MLS team?

 

 

 

I mean sure, but the other MLS teams are playing as American teams, so that's kind of moot. 3 of them qualified via MLS because that's how the USSF decides to give out their spots, 1 of them qualified via the US Open Cup (OK, apparently not for 2022 because they didn't have the US Open Cup this year, but usually that is the case) again because that's how the USSF decides to give out that spot. It doesn't make, for example, 2021 Atlanta United not an MLS team just because they qualified via winning the US Open Cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...