2021 Voyageurs Cup

43 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I thought this was an interesting read and I have to agree with everything he's saying 

Pacific FC coach blasts Canada Soccer over delay in Canadian Championship semifinal versus TFC

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/pacific-fc-coach-blasts-canada-soccer-over-delay-in-canadian-championship-semifinal-versus-tfc-1.24360930

I do not believe the venues were set prior to them being announced, it was done by a coin flip. So they were at one point going to play during the international break after the original September dates were not viable. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

When were the dates changed from Sept 27/28 to the international break?

I do not think it ever was officially, must have been what the CSA  initially suggest to the clubs regarding a date to play them on. I think it was smart to move it back to when it was, you want teams to have their best players in a tournament like. TFC for instances would have had six players away. Montreal would have also been hamstrung by it too. 

safe_image.php?d=AQFTcFJiOpuPjkwF&w=500&h=261&url=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.mlssoccer.com%2Fimage%2Fprivate%2Ft_q-best%2Fmls-tor-prd%2Fqfxlohg1soajc0umkj23.jpg&cfs=1&ext=jpg&_nc_eui2=AeGy3Zov7rktyCwg6a9FSAQtbKWiJLIwi2JspaIksjCLYnksp7NqU0NQb58L6hAhwQ8&_nc_oe=6ec81&_nc_sid=06c271&ccb=3-5&gt=1&_nc_hash=AQG17qnB8JogXbDa

The Canadian Championship should never be played over an international break unless it's absolutely necessary. It cheapens the entire tournament if teams are short-handed because of international duty.

Kah's concerns would only make sense if the dates were set in stone, which they obviously weren't because all four clubs had other games already scheduled.

Piette, ZBG, Miller, Pantemis, Osorio, Layrea and Shaffelburg are all going to be wearing the CSA crest next week. Does Kah really think it makes sense to force their teams to play in a CSA-sanctioned tournament at the same time?

On 9/30/2021 at 1:44 AM, Cblake said:

You are guaranteed low attendance for this, there is nothing to suggest otherwise. It will be on a Wednesday night in November against a team most in Toronto have never heard of. There were 5,110 in the stands last night at BMO vs. Cincinnati. It will also be the middle game of three at home in seven days. 

TFC also just made it harder for SSH to get tickets to this match, by only offering them a 5-pack of the remaining games - which given we are already have no chance of making the play-offs, mean that I think even more will likely not take up their tickets. (sure, they are letting people phone in and just get come games - but how many will bother?).

5 minutes ago, nfitz said:

TFC also just made it harder for SSH to get tickets to this match, by only offering them a 5-pack of the remaining games - which given we are already have no chance of making the play-offs, mean that I think even more will likely not take up their tickets. (sure, they are letting people phone in and just get come games - but how many will bother?).

After Monday once the headline has passed to pick up your actually season seats with the added bonus of a jersey they will go back to offering everyone single game tickets at season ticket holder pricing. The initially offering came when the expanded capacity allowed for them to offer people their actually seat if they wanted to go this route. 

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

When were the dates changed from Sept 27/28 to the international break?

Which games are conflicting with the international break? The October WCQs run from October 7 to 13, the November WCQs run from November 12 to 16, and the next Voyageurs Cup round runs from October 27 to November 3.

I feel I'm missing something here!

7 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Which games are conflicting with the international break? The October WCQs run from October 7 to 13, the November WCQs run from November 12 to 16, and the next Voyageurs Cup round runs from October 27 to November 3.

I feel I'm missing something here!

The semi-finals were originally going to be the 29th, the same day TFC has a league match against Cincinnati. It guess internally they was some discussion about playing it during the October break before it was decided to play it Nov. 3. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

After Monday once the headline has passed to pick up your actually season seats with the added bonus of a jersey they will go back to offering everyone single game tickets at season ticket holder pricing. The initially offering came when the expanded capacity allowed for them to offer people their actually seat if they wanted to go this route. 

Hopefully. I'm holding out for something. I guess if they do this, it might actually increase attendance - perhaps they'll hit 5,500 :)

I think they should have given this one to Victoria.

Edited by nfitz

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Hopefully. I'm holding out for something. I guess if they do this, it might actually increase attendance - perhaps they'll hit 5,500 :)

I think they should have given this one to Victoria.

Even as a TFC ticket holder as I would agree that this would have been a big event out west instead of the afterthought it will be in Toronto. The way it was set up with these coin flips  if both teams wanted to host due to it being single legs left it open to this being this possibility. One semi went to the MLS side and other to the CPL one. Now if this final were to end up being TFC Forge I am 110% convinced that it will be in Hamilton thus finally ending this charade of a notion that the 2020 final could still be played, time to move on from that. 

34 minutes ago, narduch said:

So CPL just announced their playoff schedule today. It will occur on the November 20 and 27 weekends.

If 1 of Forge or Pacific advance, the Voyageurs Cup final would most likely have to be after November 27.

I will be interesting, unless it was played midweek right after the final or before. November is really proving to be quite a congested schedule. But after the 27th makes most sense. 

After CPL schedules changes and looking at all schedules of FC Forge, Pacific FC, Toronto FC and CF Montreal...AND CFL schedules as Ti-Cats and FC Forge plays at same site...

(1) If FC Forge wins SF, wins CCL QF, wins CCL SF, and makes CPL playoffs then the earliest would be Sat Dec 18 or Sun Dec 19 (regardless of the opponents)

(2) If FC Forge wins SF, wins CCL QF, loses CCL SF, and makes CPL playoffs then the earliest would be Sat Dec 4 or Sun Dec 5 (regardless of the opponents and doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Ti-Cats)

(3) If FC Forge wins, SF,  lose CCL QF, and misses the CPL playoffs then then the earliest would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21, or even Wed Nov 24. (assuming TFC and CFM misses theirs and doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Ti-Cats)

(4) If CF Montreal and Toronto FC wins, but CF Montreal does not make the playoffs - then the earliest would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21, or even Wed Nov 24. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

(5) If CF Montreal and Toronto FC wins, but CF Montreal makes the playoffs - then the earliest after CF Montreal gets knock out of MLS Playoffs would be Nov 25 or as late as after Dec 11. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

(6) If Toronto FC and Pacific wins - then the earliest would be after the CPL Playoffs which is after Nov 28 - or if Pacific FC do not make it - then would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

NOTE : Even if FC Forge gets home advantage in CPL playoffs, it is highly unlikely they will play at home due to CFL conflicts in Week 16 and CFL Playoffs on Sundays...AND don't forget the 108th Grey Cup is hosted by Hamilton on December 12.

*** I can see Canada Soccer secretly hoping that MLS clubs win and play 2021 Final as quickly as possible cause the idea of playing 2021 Final in late December doesn't appeal to anyone.  There is also an issue of MLS clubs staying in shape from Nov 7 (end of MLS season) to Dec 18/19 (worst-case scenario) and see a potential repeat of 2020 Finals Issue.

4 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

After CPL schedules changes and looking at all schedules of FC Forge, Pacific FC, Toronto FC and CF Montreal...AND CFL schedules as Ti-Cats and FC Forge plays at same site...

(1) If FC Forge wins SF, wins CCL QF, wins CCL SF, and makes CPL playoffs then the earliest would be Sat Dec 18 or Sun Dec 19 (regardless of the opponents)

(2) If FC Forge wins SF, wins CCL QF, loses CCL SF, and makes CPL playoffs then the earliest would be Sat Dec 4 or Sun Dec 5 (regardless of the opponents and doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Ti-Cats)

(3) If FC Forge wins, SF,  lose CCL QF, and misses the CPL playoffs then then the earliest would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21, or even Wed Nov 24. (assuming TFC and CFM misses theirs and doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Ti-Cats)

(4) If CF Montreal and Toronto FC wins, but CF Montreal does not make the playoffs - then the earliest would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21, or even Wed Nov 24. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

(5) If CF Montreal and Toronto FC wins, but CF Montreal makes the playoffs - then the earliest after CF Montreal gets knock out of MLS Playoffs would be Nov 25 or as late as after Dec 11. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

(6) If Toronto FC and Pacific wins - then the earliest would be after the CPL Playoffs which is after Nov 28 - or if Pacific FC do not make it - then would be Sat Nov 20 or Sun Nov 21. (as long as doesn't conflict with CFL Playoffs by Argos)

NOTE : Even if FC Forge gets home advantage in CPL playoffs, it is highly unlikely they will play at home due to CFL conflicts in Week 16 and CFL Playoffs on Sundays...AND don't forget the 108th Grey Cup is hosted by Hamilton on December 12.

*** I can see Canada Soccer secretly hoping that MLS clubs win and play 2021 Final as quickly as possible cause the idea of playing 2021 Final in late December doesn't appeal to anyone.  There is also an issue of MLS clubs staying in shape from Nov 7 (end of MLS season) to Dec 18/19 (worst-case scenario) and see a potential repeat of 2020 Finals Issue.

That is a great recap of everything that could happen. Hopefully next year the tournament in whatever form it takes can start earlier and a lot of these issues can be avoided. The question will be does it stay with the single game knock out format or go back to home and home legs. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RJB said:

It is a bit embarrassing that TFC may qualify for the Champions League ahead of our national league champion. I'm looking forward to the changes to the CCL!

At least we have the "champions of Canada" in the round of 16 - I ain't talking about TFC 😆

2 hours ago, RJB said:

It is a bit embarrassing that TFC may qualify for the Champions League ahead of our national league champion. I'm looking forward to the changes to the CCL!

But simultaneously not embarrassing if it's Montreal, yeah?