2021 Voyageurs Cup

Just now, narduch said:

This is good we will get best on best.

I honestly thought Pacific would have been the host even as TFC season ticket holder. BMO tonight is going to be pretty empty this evening vs. Cincinnati and the Reds are a complete afterthought right now. if the final were to be TFC Forge I can say with no doubt it will be in Hamilton. It would finally lay to the rest the absurd notion of still trying to make up the 2020 Final. 

20 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I honestly thought Pacific would have been the host even as TFC season ticket holder. BMO tonight is going to be pretty empty this evening vs. Cincinnati and the Reds are a complete afterthought right now. if the final were to be TFC Forge I can say with no doubt it will be in Hamilton. It would finally lay to the rest the absurd notion of still trying to make up the 2020 Final. 

TFC probably cares more about not having to travel all the way to Victoria than they do about low ticket sales.

31 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Or maybe if it is a Forge vs TFC final they will just say the winner gets to be 2020 and 2021 champ :D

P.S. Please don't do that CSA.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

TFC probably cares more about not having to travel all the way to Victoria than they do about low ticket sales.

That certainly would not surprise me in anyway considering the have home games on both the Saturday before and after this game being played on Wednesday. 

These dates are in the home stretch (last 2 weeks) of both CPL and MLS regular seasons, which may be a factor in the teams' decisions about whether or not to field an A squad.  The way things are going right now, it looks like only Montreal will be hovering at the playoff line.

15 minutes ago, spinrack said:

It's strange that the semis are being played a week apart, but I guess that's the best they could do given the clubs' scheduling constraints.

November 3 is the 1st open date on both TFC and Pacific's schedules.

Forge will have Concacaf League on that date.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Why? To save their energy for their playoff push?

Who knows, the do have home games on the Saturday before and after this Wednesday match, but that should not have been an excuse with the Reds regular season dead in the water. And I am saying that as a TFC supporter and season ticket holder. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

No shit.

54 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Who knows, the do have home games on the Saturday before and after this Wednesday match, but that should not have been an excuse with the Reds regular season dead in the water. And I am saying that as a TFC supporter and season ticket holder. 

This isn't exactly a mystery. Why would TFC want to travel if they didn't have to?

Everyone here wants the game to be in Langford, myself included, but why would TFC want that? Why should they want that? The notion that they should just fly out to Vancouver Island based on some kind of altruistic principle is just silly. All four teams wanted to host the semis for obvious reasons, but only two got to. That's how it goes.

Just now, RS said:

No shit.

This isn't exactly a mystery. Why would TFC want to travel if they didn't have to?

Everyone here wants the game to be in Langford, myself included, but why would TFC want that? Why should they want that? The notion that they should just fly out to Vancouver Island based on some kind of altruistic principle is just silly. All four teams wanted to host the semis for obvious reasons, but only two got to. That's how it goes.

Absolutely TFC would want to host and not travel but it was the choice to the CSA on who hosts since it was single leg this time around. 

2 hours ago, masster said:

If the Voyageurs Cup continues as a single leg competition, I would like to see them copy the old Davis Cup tennis method of determining the host. If the teams have never faced each other in the competition before, flip a coin. Every time they meet after that, you swap.

Single leg would also mean they could greatly expand like to something similar to the US Open Cup. With L10, L1BC and the PLSQ plus the amateur teams you could really do something with it. The early rounds would have to be regional but man does it have potential. 

I think more transparency for future coin flips would be welcome. The secrecy invites criticism.

In term of growing the tournament, Vancouver Island was a better choice - for far too long football in this country was exclusively in the 3 cities. Best way to grow it is to expose more people from other parts of Canada to it and to get them hooked. Montreal will draw lots of attention to this tournament from the Hamilton region.

Next year should see the return of the home and away format which would fix some of the criticism. Just...no more "gifting" CCL berth and secret coin toss... at least have some independent witnesses at the very least

Hopefully this game get promoted as it should for Pacific's visit - low attendance would be unfortunate a second time in a row when it comes to CPL

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think more transparency for future coin flips would be welcome. The secrecy invites criticism.

In term of growing the tournament, Vancouver Island was a better choice - for far too long football in this country was exclusively in the 3 cities. Best way to grow it is to expose more people from other parts of Canada to it and to get them hooked. Montreal will draw lots of attention to this tournament from the Hamilton region.

Next year should see the return of the home and away format which would fix some of the criticism. Just...no more "gifting" CCL berth and secret coin toss... at least have some independent witnesses at the very least

Hopefully this game get promoted as it should for Pacific's visit - low attendance would be unfortunate a second time in a row when it comes to CPL

You are guaranteed low attendance for this, there is nothing to suggest otherwise. It will be on a Wednesday night in November against a team most in Toronto have never heard of. There were 5,110 in the stands last night at BMO vs. Cincinnati. It will also be the middle game of three at home in seven days. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:36 PM, Cblake said:

Single leg would also mean they could greatly expand like to something similar to the US Open Cup. With L10, L1BC and the PLSQ plus the amateur teams you could really do something with it. The early rounds would have to be regional but man does it have potential. 

Setting aside additional CPL expansion (which would obviously automatically get the invite), I think the next step in the Cups growth should be more teams from L10, PLSQ, and L1BC.  We know that some teams in the first two leagues aren't interested in joining for financial reasons, but my thought is that instead of just awarding the one L10/PLSQ/L1BC spot to last year's league winner, you allow all interested teams to enter a regional "preliminary" stage and compete for that one spot.  It doesn't add any additional games for the MLS/CPL sides but it still grows the tournament and gets more teams involved.