Pacific FC - 2021 Season Thread

ted

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you look carefully at the season, they just blew one match late vs Edmonton, and then take away 1-2 results, and they could have won the regular season. It was close. But I agree Bustos going down threw them off, perhaps for 8-10 games, they didn't adjust. 

Bustos was warming up yesterday but PMK didn't play him, there was nothing sentimental about those subs. 

Where was Blasco? I don't think he even traveled? 

The one storyline pumped by OneSoccer in the lead up to this game of Forge being an unrivaled CPL juggernaut over the last 3 years is not entirely accurate. Cavalry have matched them overall outside of knockout games and Pacific were strong all season. I didn't understand the narrative they chose at all.

We won this game without Bustos and Diaz, two of our best players, and we did it playing new tactics. Even against Vancouver we pressed and through bodies forward when we had the ball, but in this game we absorbed pressure and hit them on the counter. PMK deserves a lot of credit for his tactical flexibility, as I agree that we don't matchup talent-wise with some of the teams we've beaten this season

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The one storyline pumped by OneSoccer in the lead up to this game of Forge being an unrivaled CPL juggernaut over the last 3 years is not entirely accurate. Cavalry have matched them overall outside of knockout games and Pacific were strong all season. I didn't understand the narrative they chose at all.

We won this game without Bustos and Diaz, two of our best players, and we did it playing new tactics. Even against Vancouver we pressed and through bodies forward when we had the ball, but in this game we absorbed pressure and hit them on the counter. PMK deserves a lot of credit for his tactical flexibility, as I agree that we don't matchup talent-wise with some of the teams we've beaten this season

Fair enough. 

If we recall correctly, Cavalry was by far the best team in the first season, with IMO the best player (Carducci), and only just slipped in the final, really. 

Last year was a truncated season and not representative. 

But Forge had never lost to Pacific, and was showing well in Concacaf. 

But Pacific knocked off an MLS team in the V-Cup, a level Forge has not attained, ever. 

In the end the overhype might have helped us, along with Welshman's slopping finishing. They were ridiculously cocky in the first 20-30, especially Babouli and Browne who think they are god's gift to the game and dribbled consistently into nowhere. Bekker also shows why he's a great player at this level, but not always that consistent. They also had possession, which was in part PFC's choice, part them being better positioned on the pitch. I don't think it was a great match overall, but you are right: this idea of Forge superiority.

And then, the narrative now makes this excuse that Forge was tired. Ignoring that Pacific flew in as far, with more time difference, and was playing away, with no friendlies or matches in a few weeks (the very excuse accepted for NE Revolution in being knocked out in MLS). Well Forge has been playing twice a week for a few months now, and getting results back home and not losing in Concacaf, and drawing Impact, and it was never an excuse before. But now it is.

Two things that people generally overlook.

Cavalry had two years of core+ team playing together in PDL prior to CPL launch, a massive strategic advantage. The only CPL team with that profile. Going into 2022 and fourth year, that advantage no longer exists.

Forge had a 4+ year Sigma pipeline as a backstop to populate the team - players who had typically played together on and off over their youth years. That pipeline is now exhausted. It no longer exists. Whatever pipeline Sigma now produces, it does not include the 4+ year backstop. This 4+ year backstop is also the reason many starting 11 Forge players are older.

Going into 2022, both teams have played their advantage cards. By 2023, the CPL teams should be somewhat level in terms of history and player populating. 2023 is when things get really interesting.

Pacific's triumph is particularly impressive because they came out of no backdrop, on an island where even friendlies are difficult/impossible to arrange, where travel is more complicated than any other team, and, the team is possibly the youngest or one of the youngest.

Wonderful season. I'm still relishing the win, but now I'm also thinking towards next season. Who do we lose, who do we release, and who do we bring in? I hope another young island kid gets a look, and I'd be stoked to see Adam Straith, Froese, Zanatta etc. come in. 

I don't have a clue if we keep any of our internationals. I don't actually think the club would rely on any of them if it weren't for the rules mandating them, though Diaz is quite good. I can't see Boskovic or Duran Lee returning and I'd still like to see an upgrade at LB

It sounds like the plan is to move the pole and build another 4000 seat stand by 2023. I wish they had done it while there weren’t any games scheduled due to the pandemic but this seems really positive.  
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/we-definitely-will-run-out-pacific-fc-s-championship-win-sends-merchandise-and-season-ticket-sales-soaring-1.5698009 

56 minutes ago, shorty said:

Brad NJ mentions an exhibition game against a Championship team in that TC article. Anyone know anything about that?

I'm not even sure what league they're referring to with Championship League. It's capitalized in that paragraph, but then in the next paragraph when they're talking about Pacific qualifying for CONCACAF League they've called it 'championship league' without capitals. Very confusing

I noticed that too. Figured they meant a CCL game, except that they said “exhibition game”. That could be an uninformed reporter who doesn’t realize that the CCL games will be competitive and not exhibition games, or it means Hoilett and Reading are coming to the island. ;)

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

It sounds like the plan is to move the pole and build another 4000 seat stand by 2023. I wish they had done it while there weren’t any games scheduled due to the pandemic but this seems really positive.  
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/we-definitely-will-run-out-pacific-fc-s-championship-win-sends-merchandise-and-season-ticket-sales-soaring-1.5698009 

There you go these are the kind of stadiums most teams in this league should be in , that stadium will become a place I hope to watch a game one day it definitely tops my list .

It’s early days and numbers haven’t yet been totalled, but season ticket sales for next year are on pace to outsell this season’s already.

"Season tickets are definitely up over last year's trending for sure," said Norris-Jones.

Long term, this is the best thing about Pacific's win on Sunday. More people buying tickets puts the team in better shape financially, hopefully drawing in new fans for life, allowing them to be more sustainable. We saw similar buzz build in Calgary throughout 2019 that was unfortunately cut off at the knees due to the pandemic.