Pacific FC - 2021 Season Thread

ted

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

When was the last time we heard from any of them?

Our star player and most expensive signing has been injured for most of the season with no communication from the club on the injury or his rehab.

I saw very little of any of the three all season. I don't recall seeing Josh one single time at Starlight in 2021.

The team, indeed the whole league, has been ultra-secretive about injuries and rehab. However I blame lazy/underfunded sports journalists who don't dig, but basically wait for statements that the clubs don't feel compelled to give. It's actually a huge problem for marketing the league because it is articles about this sort of thing that generates interest and awareness. 

2 minutes ago, ted said:

I saw very little of any of the three all season. I don't recall seeing Josh one single time at Starlight in 2021.

The team, indeed the whole league, has been ultra-secretive about injuries and rehab. However I blame lazy/underfunded sports journalists who don't dig, but basically wait for statements that the clubs don't feel compelled to give. It's actually a huge problem for marketing the league because it is articles about this sort of thing that generates interest and awareness. 

As a TFC fan, the running joke is we don't find out about injuries until 1 hour before kick off (when the line up is released)

24 minutes ago, ted said:

Imagine being able to discuss lineup decisions. What a novel idea

51 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

...Lastly, given how close they are, it will decrease the budget a bit because a higher percentage of their games are near home. 

Thoughts?

Bus as opposed to air travel helps keep costs down. Having enough western teams with Saskatoon as well to have more of a WHL approach to the regular season would be a sensible goal so I wouldn't be surprised if they are serious about having a third BC team eventually.

Think the main concern for Pacific is going to be losing a slight edge they had on player recruitment. They go from having BC largely to themselves for CanPL level talent and an ability to sign Whitecaps academy products that the Whitecaps did not want to lose to having a lower mainland rival in CanPL and probably a fully pro Whitecaps U23 team arguably both ahead of them for securing the best talent in Metro Vancouver. Good luck signing the next Terran Campbell or Alessandro Hojabrpour.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think the main concern for Pacific is going to be losing a slight edge they had on player recruitment. They go from having BC largely to themselves for CanPL level talent and an ability to sign Whitecaps academy products that the Whitecaps did not want to lose to having a lower mainland rival in CanPL and probably a fully pro Whitecaps U23 team arguably both ahead of them for securing the best talent in Metro Vancouver. Good luck signing the next Terran Campbell or Alessandro Hojabrpour.

That's probably true to a certain extent, but I think the majority of CPL teams currently have players from BC, and since the first season Pacific have recruited from a much broader area. I think the youth and international player requirements, as well as the salary cap prevent teams from hoarding talent but I do worry that some of our first signings (Chung, Campbell, Baldi) might jump ship back to the mainland. 

Edited by Aird25

On 11/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, Aird25 said:

Ahmed Alghamdi is still only 20 but his minutes seem to have completely dried up in Saudi Arabia this season. Would you bring him back if possible?

Not sure what he would add but if PMK wants him back it's worth a look. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:46 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He's done a good job with Pacific and has a good mentality with regards to bettering himself and wanting to aim higher. He's a good example for the league in general in terms of managers. Young coaches who want to make a mark. It may mean higher turnover, but thats where the league is at right now. It can only help take the CanPL and Canadian player development to the next level in the longer term.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 7:38 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I think it kind of sucks for them but at the same time the Whitecaps have so much talent in their system, will be nice to see the kids from each half or Bc for a lack of a proper term, play each other. If they continue with play the kids my god will we have depth at the youth level.

23 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Winning the league will do us wonders, but this season would've felt so different if we got to host Toronto in the cup, and the playoff games against Calgary and Hamilton. Seems like such a missed opportunity to grow the fanbase on the island.

As much as I selfishly have enjoyed getting to attend so many competitions, this is the reason I would prefer if Pacific got the CONCACAF League spot next season regardless considering Forge qualifying for the Champions League. We need more important games played in more places. The Whitecaps game at Starlight Stadium was great, but need to keep that ball rolling.

Just a thought.

Seeing as Baldisimo has previously accepted a call up from The Philippines, although has yet to get a cap for various reasons (latest being injury) I wonder if Kadin Chung has been approached? a good player at CanPL level, but probably unlikely to get a call up to the CanMNT. Any thoughts from PFC fans...

Estévez has 20 years experience as a coach, and has an upward curve, pretty well constant. Sure, he never played at a high level. But he has a strong background in player development. 

Kah is still extremely inexperienced and has never managed a demanding roster. He played pro though. Fine. I think he or those around him, or both, are overstating his value as a coach. 

What do you do with a guy who's interviewing to leave in the middle of a playoff campaign? It doesn't sit that well for me. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Estévez has 20 years experience as a coach, and has an upward curve, pretty well constant. Sure, he never played at a high level. But he has a strong background in player development. 

Kah is still extremely inexperienced and has never managed a demanding roster. He played pro though. Fine. I think he or those around him, or both, are overstating his value as a coach. 

What do you do with a guy who's interviewing to leave in the middle of a playoff campaign? It doesn't sit that well for me. 

In the end every coach has aspirations to coach at a higher level, yes the optics are not good to interview while trying to win a championship but what was he supposed to do miss out on an opportunity?  Having said that head coaching openings happen all that time in every league MLS included obviously, so ya maybe he could have waited, but who knows maybe he thought he had a really good shot at this Dallas position .

18 hours ago, SoccMan said:

In the end every coach has aspirations to coach at a higher level, yes the optics are not good to interview while trying to win a championship but what was he supposed to do miss out on an opportunity?  Having said that head coaching openings happen all that time in every league MLS included obviously, so ya maybe he could have waited, but who knows maybe he thought he had a really good shot at this Dallas position .

I assume the owners knew, so I'm not overly worried. 

I also think he's overhyped a bit, even with the win yesterday which was decently coached. 

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess he can point to the absence of Bustos for so many games for why his team were third in the regular season.

If you look carefully at the season, they just blew one match late vs Edmonton, and then take away 1-2 results, and they could have won the regular season. It was close. But I agree Bustos going down threw them off, perhaps for 8-10 games, they didn't adjust. 

Bustos was warming up yesterday but PMK didn't play him, there was nothing sentimental about those subs. 

Where was Blasco? I don't think he even traveled?