Pacific FC - 2021 Season Thread

ted

On 10/6/2021 at 9:46 PM, Pottsy3 said:

I visited the stadium today for the first time, and as a Forge STH I am very jealous of your gorgeous little grounds (not jealous of the rugby lines I saw today though).

5DA4D01E-E880-4261-A0FC-DA074885BB3C.jpeg

Good for you guys. How did you like the hydro pole?

BTW, since Canada rugby uses the facility, they transition it often, and rather effectively. Can't see there for sure, but I think the posts are up on the other end.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good for you guys. How did you like the hydro pole?

BTW, since Canada rugby uses the facility, they transition it often, and rather effectively. Can't see there for sure, but I think the posts are up on the other end.

Haha hopefully the hydro pole isn’t around much longer. 

I was going to say, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the lines during a Pacific match. Glad to hear those haven’t been an issue.

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Haha hopefully the hydro pole isn’t around much longer. 

I was going to say, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the lines during a Pacific match. Glad to hear those haven’t been an issue.

A semi-final against Toronto would have been another demonstration that certain games would benefit from additional capacity. If we host a playoff game this year, I hope we can sell out. Every game would benefit from a better camera angle though.

Why Victoria BC Is Home To Some Of The Most Unique Support in North America

Blake McStravick caught the supporter culture bug while in Sweden, where it had leaked over into the country’s hockey scene. ...With almost zero institutional knowledge, McStravick went online, studying tifos from around the world, diving into Youtube to learn how some of the world’s biggest SGs pull off such pageantry. 

For Michael Geldreich, president of the Lake Side Buoys, Pacific FC was an opportunity to provide an expansive gameday experience for any type of fan. 

Luiz Alberto de Souza came to Victoria from Rio De Janeiro to pursue his education, and, although he, Santis, and a group of other Brazilian expats still played the game constantly, the absence of supporting a club was felt immediately. The group immediately began to draw on their South American roots and knowledge base to bring a high-energy atmosphere to Pacific FC matches, along with a classic Brazilian tailgate, complete with what Santis assures is the best barbecue in Victoria. 

https://americantifo.substack.com/p/why-victoria-bc-is-home-to-some-of

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Campbell has quietly had an excellent season. It'll be interesting to see how Pa lines this team up with Bustos back in the lineup. I still think Bustos combines best with Kadin, but Campbell has been a beast from the right side.

Given how he limped off the field on Saturday I don't think Bustos is gonna be a big factor for the rest of the season. :(

20 hours ago, ted said:

Given how he limped off the field on Saturday I don't think Bustos is gonna be a big factor for the rest of the season. :(

Nooo! Really? I didn't see that, and the OneSoccer crew were talking about how he's back in time for the Toronto game

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Nooo! Really? I didn't see that, and the OneSoccer crew were talking about how he's back in time for the Toronto game

I didn't see it but several people said he had a very slight limp. Described as looking "tender" rather than "setback". I think it's likely he will play just enough for the rest of you league games to be ready to actually contribute in the VCup semi. 

2 hours ago, ted said:

I didn't see it but several people said he had a very slight limp. Described as looking "tender" rather than "setback". I think it's likely he will play just enough for the rest of you league games to be ready to actually contribute in the VCup semi. 

Brutal, though I suppose that's better than a significant limp, which is how he looked walking around the stadium at the Whitecaps game. We'll definitely want him fit for the playoff push

I would not cay, "cool". I am concerned and a bit confused that there was no clear statement about what was gonna happen.

BTW we were only first on paper as I have been saying for two months. Forge had three games in hand.

We are in the playoffs having finished at our highest standing since the league started. The only thing I'm worried about (aside from beating Calgary) is the possibility that this new team will take PMK and/or key players when they start up.

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

So our ownership just announced that they're starting another team in Vancouver while we're in the middle of our worst run of the season and we've just dropped out of first. Is everyone cool with this?

Although I cannot speak for everyone and do see how on a superficial level this may seem like a poor decision given the recent run of results, the benefits outweigh the risks and the timing is merely coincidental. 

At this point, the lads have what it takes to put out the performance required to win the league. The problem is not with the ownership; They've hired a good coach and enabled him to sign quality players. They are just in a slump and these things happen in sports. Also, this expansion has been in the works for MONTHS, if not years, making the timing of the announcement more of a coincidence with Pacific FCs poor performances rather than the owners shifting their attention away from the team during a time when they need to regain their focus. 

Next point, rivalries bring attention to the game. Creating a convenient rivalry that can guarantee you 8 games a year that bring increased attention and thus, money, compared to the MAYBE 2 games a year vs the Whitecaps in the Canadian Championship is an added bonus. While I do not like the idea of having the same owners for two different teams in sports, if it is required to grow the league than so be it - and it's not like they are full owners of this new team, only partial owners. 

Lastly, given how close they are, it will decrease the budget a bit because a higher percentage of their games are near home. 

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, ted said:

I would not cay, "cool". I am concerned and a bit confused that there was no clear statement about what was gonna happen.

BTW we were only first on paper as I have been saying for two months. Forge had three games in hand.

We are in the playoffs having finished at our highest standing since the league started. The only thing I'm worried about (aside from beating Calgary) is the possibility that this new team will take PMK and/or key players when they start up.

Two months ago we were 11-6-2 (39 points; 2.3 ppg). Forge were 9-1-7 (28 points; 1.75 ppg). The majority of our team are from the lower mainland. That seems like a legitimate concern.

8 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Although I cannot speak for everyone and do see how on a superficial level this may seem like a poor decision given the recent run of results, the benefits outweigh the risks and the timing is merely coincidental. 

At this point, the lads have what it takes to put out the performance required to win the league. The problem is not with the ownership; They've hired a good coach and enabled him to sign quality players. They are just in a slump and these things happen in sports. Also, this expansion has been in the works for MONTHS, if not years, making the timing of the announcement more of a coincidence with Pacific FCs poor performances rather than the owners shifting their attention away from the team during a time when they need to regain their focus. 

Next point, rivalries bring attention to the game. Creating a convenient rivalry that can guarantee you 8 games a year that bring increased attention and thus, money, compared to the MAYBE 2 games a year vs the Whitecaps in the Canadian Championship is an added bonus. While I do not like the idea of having the same owners for two different teams in sports, if it is required to grow the league than so be it - and it's not like they are full owners of this new team, only partial owners. 

Lastly, given how close they are, it will decrease the budget a bit because a higher percentage of their games are near home. 

Thoughts?

I love that Vancouver is getting a team. It's great for the league, but I hate everything else about this.

I don't think it's superficial to be concerned about the financials and the management of our club. There's been a clear reduction in advertising and attendance has suffered. A rivalry between two teams owned by the same 3 people seems superficial. 

We were always a stop gap for this group until they got their Vancouver team, and I feel like we've already been abandoned. When was the last time we heard from any of them?

Our star player and most expensive signing has been injured for most of the season with no communication from the club on the injury or his rehab.