Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Few takeaways here:@Pacificfccpl announce that Thomas Gardner (UBC), Jan Pirretas Glasmacher (TRU) and Jordan Haynes (UBC) are joining the club for preseason. The club has also named Marcel De Jong captain for the upcoming season.

Gardner and Haynes were guys I though we would see in year 1.  

The way the article is written it looks like they have already been signed "Pacific FC brings three CPL-U SPORTS players to fill out the roster. Midfielder Thomas Gardner (UBC) and defender Jan Pirretas Glasmacher (TRU) were both draft players and have joined the club. Defender Jordan Haynes of UBC was undrafted but was picked up by Pacific FC."

Hey guys. Is there a group of supporters who travel from Nanaimo for games by chance? Or some sort of mid island supporters group? There is a chance I end up in Nanaimo this summer and carpooling is much more appealing than making the drive alone.

Hey guys, serious question. I am considering making the trip out for the May game vs Forge, but really what it comes down to is cost and time.

How easy/how much would it cost to get to the island from Abbotsford Airport via public transit. From what I can tell, the cheapest way is to take a shuttle bus for $20 from the airport to Scott Rd. Station in Surrey, and then take two buses to reach the ferry (which appears to be $3) and then the Ferry which is $18 to reach the island.

Google Maps pegs this at a little over 3.5 hours to get to the Ferry terminal. Just wanted some input on this one.

Edited by -Hammer-

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

Google Maps pegs this at a little over 3.5 hours to get to the Ferry terminal. Just wanted some input on this one.

Yup, that sounds about right. Abbotsford is a long way out. You have to add the 95 minutes ferry and at least another hour on public transit on this side to get to Westhills. We have not heard if free shuttles from downtown Victoria will be offered again this year.

If you can get to YVR it is a short hop (5 minutes) on the Canada Line rain and then a 25 minutes express bus ride to the ferry. You might also try to see what it would cost to take Harbour Air if they fly from Abbotsford to Victoria Harbour. Makes the trip probably 30-40 minutes total.

Ok, so pretty much at least one day would be dedicated just to getting onto the island if I used public transit, whereas if I rented a car, I could probably get there the day of arrival, but would obviously have to factor that cost vs the cost of an extra night's stay, of which I'm pretty sure the extra night will be cheaper.

The core issue is flights from Hamilton to Abbotsford are dirt cheap ($210 round trip right now) which makes the trip possible. I am skeptical of getting another flight even close to that ballpark. Everything I find is around $300 one way to either Victoria or Vancouver, so really they aren't really in the cards.

4 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Ok, so pretty much at least one day would be dedicated just to getting onto the island if I used public transit, whereas if I rented a car, I could probably get there the day of arrival, but would obviously have to factor that cost vs the cost of an extra night's stay, of which I'm pretty sure the extra night will be cheaper.

The core issue is flights from Hamilton to Abbotsford are dirt cheap ($210 round trip right now) which makes the trip possible. I am skeptical of getting another flight even close to that ballpark. Everything I find is around $300 one way to either Victoria or Vancouver, so really they aren't really in the cards.

You should not underestimate that Westhills is on the extreme other point of Greater Victoria from the ferry terminal. 

I recommend taking the ferry as a foot passenger and reserve a vehicle on the island, with any company at Victoria Airport. It saves a lot on ferry costs. And time, as with a car you need to arrive far earlier and perhaps pay extra for a reservation on summer weekends. Then they will come to pick you up at the terminal on the other side, you just call to remind them when you are about to dock. Further, car rental costs in the island tend to be lower. When leaving the vehicle they'll then drop you at the ferry. 

Reserve any Airbnb in Victoria city not Langford. 

You may find prices drop still to Vancouver International, Abbotsford as Ted says is not too convenient. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...