Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

11 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If this can launch him from UBC to a pro career elsewhere, this league is getting something done.

One of my favourite players fwiw.

Right?!? Every time he was on the pitch  I expected big things. He didn't really show the same spark this year but that seemed like an issue with his playing time (not enough) than his talent and effort.

Aparicio has some similitudes with Fisk, although he plays in the middle of the park. He's dynamic and gets into the mix. He can boss the centre of the park at times, without being a pure central mid. Very strong free kicks, good long shots. Also, he's versatile, in Spain at Izarra (Piette's club as well) he was an outside back. 

I'm surprised on the York9 thread they are saying he did not matter so much to them, or dragging up innuendo. As if York9 could really afford to lose one of their top 3-4 players after this past season. I think we are going to enjoy him and he really strengthens the team.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Really?! That’s not really a position of need for us and it’s not where I remember him lining up against us.

He's not a great passer or has the vision to be a number 10. Di Chiara or porter would play higher up the pitch usually. 

Excellent! Those are all key players, and I'm thrilled to have them all back.

I hate this narrative that re-signing core players is "bolstering" the roster though. Every announcement in CPL seems to be like this. These are all players that should have been locked up on multi-year deals, yet because of the contract structures they could have easily left so we announce them as if they were new signings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, Aird25 said:

Has Pacific given anyone a multi-year deal yet?

Are they allowed to yet? Talk from Rob Friend last year was they wanted to but were prohibited from doing so by league rules for the first two years at least. 

51 minutes ago, ted said:

Are they allowed to yet? Talk from Rob Friend last year was they wanted to but were prohibited from doing so by league rules for the first two years at least. 

York9 has announced several multi-year deals, most include club options.  Schaale and Oxner just signed with HFX for 21-22 plus a club option for 23 

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

8 hours ago, ted said:

I didn’t realize there was ever a rule preventing multi year contracts. That seems silly if they’re hoping to sell players on as advertised. The league meddles far too much in individual club rosters for my liking 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, Aird25 said:

I didn’t realize there was ever a rule preventing multi year contracts. That seems silly if they’re hoping to sell players on as advertised. The league meddles far too much in individual club rosters for my liking 

Yeah it was stupid and Friend was annoyed as heck about it last year. Glad to hear the league smartened up.

I think the issue was skittish owners hedging their bets in case the league or their team didn't get off the ground and stick them with wage bills if things went south.