Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

Still think they are 3/4 additions away. Hopefully Fisk stays on.

I'm not a fan of Haber, he certainly brings experience but I think both he and issey appeared short on delivering last year certainly on the pitch. I'd rather Pacific saves money and takes a punt on Tomasz Skublak. 

Dixon will be a strong addition to Verhoeven, Baldisimo and Hojabrpour in the middle. Another addition would be welcome. 

They need another CB or two and a right winger should issey not resign. 

15 hours ago, shorty said:

I’m assuming so, but I’m not 100% sure if it’s at Westhills or the new complex, or where. I can ask tomorrow. 

LOL, they train in the new facility or Goudy field (next door to Westhills). They didn't spend $5M to NOT train in that facility. ;) 

1 hour ago, ted said:

LOL, they train in the new facility or Goudy field (next door to Westhills). They didn't spend $5M to NOT train in that facility. ;) 

Goudy Field is actually a nice pitch, with a decent stand for maybe a couple hundred, I was surprised when I saw it. If you had a reserve squad or wanted to scrimmage without being on the main field for whatever reason, it's perfect. It also allows rugby or other activities to be on Westhills and not interrupt the flow of football training for Pacific, it's just 5 min walk away.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What kind of weather do you guys have that your February signing is posing on your pitch in a golf shirt?!  Lucky.

LOL, this is Victoria. We had frost on the ground this morning for maybe the fifth day this month.

We have a special event in Early March where we count the flowers: https://flowercount.com/

When I play pick up soccer at lunch today I will probably wear a long-sleeved shirt and maybe even gloves. ;)

Edited by ted
add info

1 hour ago, ted said:

LOL, this is Victoria. We had frost on the ground this morning for maybe the fifth day this month.

We have a special event in Early March where we count the flowers: https://flowercount.com/

When I play pick up soccer at lunch today I will probably wear a long-sleeved shirt and maybe even gloves. ;)

I thought about mentioning this with respect to Goudy and being able to stay off Westhills so grass could be installed. 

For those not on the island: every single turf field in Greater Victoria gets used, all the time, all year, unless it is privately owned, like Glenlyon Norfolk school, or on the few days that it snows (which aren't many).  I haven't played recently at Goudy, but certainly my old guy team has played there within the last couple of years. 

Ted, or others:  does PFC have exclusive use of Goudy now?  I can't imagine that they do.  Just curious.

In Victoria, we do have the potential to have year-round grass fields for the lack of snow, but our problem is water:  too much in the winter and too little in the summer.  Watering in the summer (though expensive and not environmentally super) can remedy the drought issue, but winter drainage is a massive issue for good grass pitches here (of which there aren't many).  A lot of pitches in the winter are quite boggy.

There was a recent controversy at the City council where one councillor led a charge to tear up the most frequently used turf pitch in town and replace it with grass, supposedly over concerns about the artificial blades and rubber pellets.  The local soccer community rose up to squash the effort, for environmental, economic, and recreational reasons.  

A pro-quality grass pitch at Westhills would actually require a significant and ongoing economic investment, I believe.  Would be nice, but don't see it happening in the near future.

Edited by shorty

GOUDY is that high school's field I thought and there are soccer camps and league play there too. And then you need Westhills to withstand rugby. So that is going to rule out proper grass at the latter. 

Is the seating configuration at Westhills going to be the same as last year? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist