Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I think that was his main gripe. Consistency. 

Yup, he literally said he would be fine if the same play drew the same call in other games. Kinda a cliche all right but we lost two different games this season (out of only 8 played total) due to bad calls so it's hard not to feel aggrieved. 

Is it time for the dreaded VAR conversation again?

Oh, wait, no thanks. ;)

Overall the officiating still has a ways to go as there were some really odd (non) calls this tournament. 

As far as the Pacific PKs go I think they're more about bad defending than bad refs. Of the 5 I recall, 3 were bad decisions for going into tackles (Haynes, Samake, Chung), 1 was a sloppy first touch (Wirth) and it's only the MacNaughton one that's hard to be critical of as the forward slips in at the last second to get to the ball first.

The good news is that most young defenders only need to make those mistakes once or twice before it's out of their system.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Kah isn't one of the three nominees for coach of the year.  Regardless, he should be pleased with his first year in charge.

Yeah that is bullshit. Complete lip service from the league to Atletico. Should have been Kah. Not sure why Mista would be nominated. Arguably Gale did better with almost an entirely new team lol.

16 hours ago, fil said:

Doesn't surprise me, European coach gets votes just because he comes from Europe. Especially from the Spanish system. Going through the Canadian system and grinding away here will not get the credit that a person deserves. 

Because Kah is a product of the Canadian system, a Vancouver Island boy.

If you are going to make an argument, make it right, screwing it up ruins the point for the rest of us ;)

1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

I think his outburst after losing to Forge had something to do with it, otherwise he would be in there.

His team responded with a 5-0 win in the next match, and for the first time in what seemed like ages the refs didn't award a penalty against us. So I'd actually call that good coaching. I could understand a fine for those comments, but I don't think it should reflect negatively on his coaching ability. A big part of a managers job these days is to make use the media

He would be in there for me as well but I won't begrudge Mista the nomination.  If you are going to have 3 candidates Hart & Smyniotis are the locks so if it's not Kah.... it's Mista.  Ottawa surprised me. 

It was quite rightly brought up on One Soccer how Smyrniotis doesn't seem to get a lot of acknowledgment.  Maybe because in some part he'd brought some of his pre-CanPL work into CPL?  Don't know, but Forge has shown itself to be, to my mind, the best club in this league for a number of reasons and that has to come down to Bobby S. 

See that Paulus is out in Edmonton, not that he was up for the nomination, just saying.  Don't see Gale or Brennan going anywhere until after the results of the 2021 campaign either.  Again, just saying.    

23 hours ago, Aird25 said:

His team responded with a 5-0 win in the next match, and for the first time in what seemed like ages the refs didn't award a penalty against us. So I'd actually call that good coaching. I could understand a fine for those comments, but I don't think it should reflect negatively on his coaching ability. A big part of a managers job these days is to make use the media

I don't disagree with you about him being a good coach, but Kah basically said that if the CPL wants to be looked at as a Tier 1 league, they need Tier 1 referees. I watched it. I wanted to rewind it to hear it again, but OneSoccer.

Making use of the media is one thing, but you have to use it wisely. Employee of the year awards aren't given to the guy who publicly trashes the whole accounting department during the shareholder's meetings. 

I'm pretty certain Kah would have been easily nominated this year otherwise.

52 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

I don't disagree with you about him being a good coach, but Kah basically said that if the CPL wants to be looked at as a Tier 1 league, they need Tier 1 referees. I watched it. I wanted to rewind it to hear it again, but OneSoccer.

Making use of the media is one thing, but you have to use it wisely. Employee of the year awards aren't given to the guy who publicly trashes the whole accounting department during the shareholder's meetings. 

I'm pretty certain Kah would have been easily nominated this year otherwise.

The league won more by him saying it than he would have being nominated for the award.

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot. It's a brand new league in a country which has lacked sufficient professional football for nearly 30 years. Just as we need the players to use CanPL to develop into international calibre, we also need the league as a breeding ground for elite-level coaches, physios, analysts, and yes, also match officials. We're just building the pool at this point.

55 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

What does everybody think of CPL's Best XI?  Looks strong including the "Substitutes".  Any misses? Anybody headed to higher leagues? I wonder if the Whitecaps will revisit Sissoko or Chung. How about Zator in Vancouver? Would he be up to the challenge?

https://canpl.ca/article/canpl-cas-best-xi-of-the-island-games-wanders-and-forge-lead-the-way

Cheers!

I’m not sure how Elliot Simmons makes it ahead of Baldi, but I also struggle to make it through 90 minutes of Tommy Wheeldon football. I don’t recall Simmons impressing me at any point though 

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot. It's a brand new league in a country which has lacked sufficient professional football for nearly 30 years. Just as we need the players to use CanPL to develop into international calibre, we also need the league as a breeding ground for elite-level coaches, physios, analysts, and yes, also match officials. We're just building the pool at this point.

They also needed to find referees willing to join the bubble for over 6 weeks.

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I totally agree. We have better referees than I ever could have imagined. I am also proud we included female refs, they were objectively as good as the men, there was no gender gap at all, only differences in style.

I think that Chenard had some health problems that impeded her going to the WC last summer, I liked her last season in CPL. 

All this does not stop me from thinking that Pacific was the worst treated team in in PEI by far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...