Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

20 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Disappointing, but I guess this is what happens in salary capped leagues

You cant complain much when you won the Bustos sweep stakes.  And the writing should have been on the wall  when the 3 expensive Fury players came in.  The salary cap gods giveth and they taketh away.  

This then partially confirms what we have suspected: there is a sort of entry draft for expansion teams. Certain players have been reserved or made available. When At Ottawa said at the press conference that they would get their scouts to look at players, that is what they meant. Watching footage of certain players that existing teams might not want to re-sign, or would be flexible about not doing so.

I am not saying there are strict protected lists, but it seems they have been elaborated, likely with the players' consent.

Fisk played in Spain, two seasons, the last with Deportivo's second side. The fact he must have a bit of Spanish, and more, understands what being part of the development system of a Spanish club means, could be a factor in them signing him (if it indeed happens).

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This then partially confirms what we have suspected: there is a sort of entry draft for expansion teams.

Not sure what "this" is, but I don't know about any "sort of entry draft". All the teams seemed to have operated with a gentleman's agreement to respect each others geographical territories and not unnecessarily harm or raid each other. Certainly in the first year. You can see already that they are feeling free to restrict themselves less in year two. But all the teams want the league to succeed and it seems are willing to cooperate where ever they can as long as it doesn't mean giving up anything.

How does this point to an expansion draft? He clearly said he could have stayed at Pacific but he had a more attractive option.  Just a bizarre conclusion.  

He mentioned his age factoring into his decision specifically so that seems to point to atletico or forge, where he may have been offered the chance to replace Borges. 

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This then partially confirms what we have suspected: there is a sort of entry draft for expansion teams. Certain players have been reserved or made available. When At Ottawa said at the press conference that they would get their scouts to look at players, that is what they meant. Watching footage of certain players that existing teams might not want to re-sign, or would be flexible about not doing so.

I am not saying there are strict protected lists, but it seems they have been elaborated, likely with the players' consent.

This neither confirms nor supports anything like that at all, it states that the two parties were unable to come to an agreement and Fisk took a different offer.

"Ottawa would get their scouts to look at players" is supposed to indicate a draft? Is that a joke? If there isn't a draft, how do you suppose they would find Canadian talent, by getting their fortune tellers to look into some crystal balls? There are plenty of players out of contract at the end of any league season; players like Fisk considering their options is exactly what you'd expect regular free agents to do and clubs like Ottawa scouting players is exactly what you'd expect them to do if they are looking to sign free agents like Fisk.

A while ago you guys talked about how Arnone leaving Wanderers was "suspicious" and yet he signed with his hometown club despite supposedly being tied up in a expansion draft for Ottawa. There has been no indication of any sort of system like this, and given that the league is not franchised and neither the clubs nor the players have any incentive to participate in such a scheme, there is literally no reason to think it would happen.

Well with Borges gone from the Forge, who haven't signed anyone of note this off season btw, I could see him end up there. Fisk mentions wanting to take the next step up and show himself for the national team... where better than Hamilton with Champions League matches and a chance to defend a title. I know Ottawa has the financial flexibility but are they really a step up from Pacific FC?

Ottawa needs CDN's.  Fisk is a big fish (in our fish bowl) without a team.  But who knows, mb he is going to Forge, or even WPG for that matter, HEHEHEHE.  Either way, good luck to him, Pacific will do alright with the guys they have brought in.  I can see them and Halifax being a lot better this season.  

5 hours ago, Zem said:

This neither confirms nor supports anything like that at all, it states that the two parties were unable to come to an agreement and Fisk took a different offer.

"Ottawa would get their scouts to look at players" is supposed to indicate a draft? Is that a joke? If there isn't a draft, how do you suppose they would find Canadian talent, by getting their fortune tellers to look into some crystal balls? There are plenty of players out of contract at the end of any league season; players like Fisk considering their options is exactly what you'd expect regular free agents to do and clubs like Ottawa scouting players is exactly what you'd expect them to do if they are looking to sign free agents like Fisk.

A while ago you guys talked about how Arnone leaving Wanderers was "suspicious" and yet he signed with his hometown club despite supposedly being tied up in a expansion draft for Ottawa. There has been no indication of any sort of system like this, and given that the league is not franchised and neither the clubs nor the players have any incentive to participate in such a scheme, there is literally no reason to think it would happen.

Actually, what I am arguing was said at the Atlético Ottawa press conference, indirectly. I am not sure it was Gil Marín or López, but one said they would get their scouts onto players, meaning they had to know who would be free to sign and who not. They were not going to raid players currently under contract or renegotiating, which would be a terrible way to initiate activity in the league.

Which is what I was arguing.  I guess I'll have to relisten to the entire thing again to rebut your rather rude rant otherwise. 

While it is true that many players are moving on their own accord, this does not explain the entire player market. Only a part. Perhaps even the majority of internal movements.

The CPL has reserved players for Ottawa, unofficially, in various ways. One is that certain Ottawa Fury players have been informed that they had a chance to re-sign with the new team. Then, that At Ottawa would be able to "scout" players in the CPL, which makes no sense if there is not going to be some kind of reserve. There is an effort to facilitate a very hard task of putting a team together and save an entire season of 8 teams. They can't even bring in enough from their own affiliates to cover a team.

I don't mind if this is mocked or argued, as I realise it is not hard data. But there is enough evidence to suggest an informal operation of protecting some players and leaving others unprotected was done. Which is exactly what I argued.

4 hours ago, longlugan said:

Well with Borges gone from the Forge, who haven't signed anyone of note this off season btw, I could see him end up there. Fisk mentions wanting to take the next step up and show himself for the national team... where better than Hamilton with Champions League matches and a chance to defend a title. I know Ottawa has the financial flexibility but are they really a step up from Pacific FC?

That's what I thought as well. He sounded like he was going to a topteam (that would be Cavalry or Forge). However, it was probably just about getting 10k more per season, which is his right and makes sense with a girlfriend and kid. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

That's what I thought as well. He sounded like he was going to a topteam (that would be Cavalry or Forge). However, it was probably just about getting 10k more per season, which is his right and makes sense with a girlfriend and kid. 

I am sure you are right, but I also imagine most players would see Atlético Oh as a "top team", if only for the connection with the mother club.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Actually, what I am arguing was said at the Atlético Ottawa press conference, indirectly. I am not sure it was Gil Marín or López, but one said they would get their scouts onto players, meaning they had to know who would be free to sign and who not. They were not going to raid players currently under contract or renegotiating, which would be a terrible way to initiate activity in the league.

Which is what I was arguing.  I guess I'll have to relisten to the entire thing again to rebut your rather rude rant otherwise. 

While it is true that many players are moving on their own accord, this does not explain the entire player market. Only a part. Perhaps even the majority of internal movements.

The CPL has reserved players for Ottawa, unofficially, in various ways. One is that certain Ottawa Fury players have been informed that they had a chance to re-sign with the new team. Then, that At Ottawa would be able to "scout" players in the CPL, which makes no sense if there is not going to be some kind of reserve. There is an effort to facilitate a very hard task of putting a team together and save an entire season of 8 teams. They can't even bring in enough from their own affiliates to cover a team.

I don't mind if this is mocked or argued, as I realise it is not hard data. But there is enough evidence to suggest an informal operation of protecting some players and leaving others unprotected was done. Which is exactly what I argued.

I can tell you with 100% certainty from Ottawa players that this is false.  It's very simple ... Atletico was given a list of unattached Canadians.  They then scouted them.

How could the CPL reserve players for Ottawa??  As some other posters mentioned, the best Ottawa guys signed elsewhere and some signed after the Ottawa announcement.  Who is left unsigned...Tissot..Monsalve..Coupland from Ottawa..FIsk, Gogarty, Q Roberts, Langwa, Skublak, Village???  If Ottawa sweeps up the best guys still unsigned from last year, the left over Usports and the best L10 PLSQ still around...and repatriate a few USL/EUropean guys they could still field a decent team.  

Back to Pacific though, whats up with Haber?? Is he coming back??

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You have to think there are some Caps players coming over on loan

I don't know. I think they have to be looking for loans to become roster compliant but I wouldn't assume they would be to Pacific. While a lot of the Pacific players and coaches were with the Caps organization at one point or another, I think De Jong is the only one that's moved directly between the clubs. Even last season there were one or two of their younger players that could have benefited from a loan, but it never happened. The longer it doesn't happen the more I think that that relationship doesn't exist yet

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don't know. I think they have to be looking for loans to become roster compliant but I wouldn't assume they would be to Pacific. While a lot of the Pacific players and coaches were with the Caps organization at one point or another, I think De Jong is the only one that's moved directly between the clubs. Even last season there were one or two of their younger players that could have benefited from a loan, but it never happened. The longer it doesn't happen the more I think that that relationship doesn't exist yet

Yeah but on the other hand Ka has been in the Cap[s organization and knows the upcoming talents. I'd be surprised NOT to see at least 1 loan from the 'Caps to Pacific. 

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah but on the other hand Ka has been in the Cap[s organization and knows the upcoming talents. I'd be surprised NOT to see at least 1 loan from the 'Caps to Pacific. 

It would be sensible you would think, but it would require a change in attitude from last year. In 2019 the Caps were pissed at Pacific for "poaching" so many players they felt "belonged" to them.  

This is actually a good effect of the league BTW. The MLS clubs had too much power over players and with the CanPL actually creating a bit of competition to sign players the MLS teams will have to sign for longer deals which IMO is good all around.

1 hour ago, ted said:

The MLS clubs had too much power over players and with the CanPL actually creating a bit of competition to sign players the MLS teams will have to sign for longer deals which IMO is good all around.

You can see it now with all three MLS teams signing heaps of homegrown players. Probably not just because of Canpl, but surely they're signing players faster IMO.

What's the story with the Caps development team? With all the front office changes there hasn't been much discussion. Colyn, Baldisimo, Habibulah  Mukiliwa(spelling?) Etc have all been invisible this year. A move to Pacific would be great for a few

Edited by SpursFlu