Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Pacific FC goes with 19 players, three keepers, that gives them 5 field player subs. Are we playing the new rules with 5 subs in this tournament? If so, that is very thin, they really should have a bit more coverage in that roster. One injury or red leaves them without enough players to do a full set of changes. 

It would be really strange if Gardner was drafted two straight seasons and never played a game. That can’t happen often. I imagined both would be with the team but the club has been pretty quiet about that afaik. Par for the course, really

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

4 games in. What do you think of 2020 Pacific? Is Kah an upgrade on Silberbauer? How are the Fury acquisitions doing? Is Campbell gonna start scoring?

I can't figure out why Campbell isn't starting. He's gotten next to no service, but he's nearly scored twice off of cheeky little chips, one of which led to a goal. I also think he holds the ball up better and brings his wingers into the game more. We're still losing points through boneheaded mistakes, but I think the team has looked improved overall. Rarely have we looked like the weaker side in a game. Dixon, Bustos, and TMG were all good pickups, but Chung is my player of the season so far. He rarely made mistakes last year, but I think he's carried the play more this year.

I’d be thrilled with that final 4 but it’s by no means certain. A win against Cavalry wouldn’t shock me, but nether would a loss against either of the other two. Pacific just haven’t yet learned to consistently get points from games where they deserve them 

On 8/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, davey_twelve said:

4 games in. What do you think of 2020 Pacific? Is Kah an upgrade on Silberbauer?

I think we are doing really well and Kah is definitely an upgrade. The core of the team is the same as last year but beating Calgary yesterday showed how a coach (working with good transfers) can make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

I like the versatility of the squad this year, it may not be perfect but I can see what the plan is. I didn’t get a sense of where the team was going last year. If Pacific FC stay with the current coaching staff, I see Pacific doing well in the future....or now 😍

I'm cheering for Kah to do well here.  

8 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Makes for an interesting read when you skip over the date! Saw Marco Bustos, Hanson Boakai, Victor Blasco, Alphonso Davies and Noah Verhoeven compared in the same paragraph. Just goes to show how difficult it can be to predict the trajectory of young players (Granted, some of them are far enough apart in age).

On 9/8/2020 at 10:18 PM, davey_twelve said:

Makes for an interesting read when you skip over the date! Saw Marco Bustos, Hanson Boakai, Victor Blasco, Alphonso Davies and Noah Verhoeven compared in the same paragraph. Just goes to show how difficult it can be to predict the trajectory of young players (Granted, some of them are far enough apart in age).

Verhoeven is very good on the ball. If he can improve other aspects his game he'll be an excellent player. Far too many mistakes last season though, and it's telling he hasn't feature much under Kah

On 9/8/2020 at 10:16 PM, BearcatSA said:

I'm cheering for Kah to do well here.  

I hope he stays. Didn't sound impressed with the league after the last game. Certainly the standard of refereeing. Given he almost got a job after pacifc, I am sure he will have offers. I hope he will stick it out. He is a big get for the league and has clearly made huge progress with Pacific. 

17 hours ago, toontownman said:

I hope he stays. Didn't sound impressed with the league after the last game. Certainly the standard of refereeing. Given he almost got a job after pacifc, I am sure he will have offers. I hope he will stick it out. He is a big get for the league and has clearly made huge progress with Pacific. 

I didn't hear that interview. I was too pissed myself to keep watching. Do you know if it's been posted anywhere?

Had a quick look on OneSoccer's youtube. They normally post there. Probably unsurprisingly it is not up. They probably won't re-show as he criticized the refs and the league. I would try the re-watch it should be on there after the game or in coast to coast. Unless they purposely edited it out. 

Basically he said if the league wants to be seen as a credible league they need to fix the refereeing situation, it has to be far better, they have to get better referee's simple as that. Tbh I don't think they have been horrible but what do I know lol. 

21 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Had a quick look on OneSoccer's youtube. They normally post there. Probably unsurprisingly it is not up. They probably won't re-show as he criticized the refs and the league. I would try the re-watch it should be on there after the game or in coast to coast. Unless they purposely edited it out. 

Basically he said if the league wants to be seen as a credible league they need to fix the refereeing situation, it has to be far better, they have to get better referee's simple as that. Tbh I don't think they have been horrible but what do I know lol. 

Thanks. I'll have a look for the replay, but I don't particularly want to relive that match. It really wouldn't shock me if OneSoccer doesn't want to highlight that criticism. As a Pacific fan I've felt hard done by in this tournament when it comes to officiating, and it extends beyond the penalties. It just seems like every 50-50 went against us and there was no consistency. I'm also sick and tired of how bias everyone at OneSoccer seems. I really hope they get some western Canadian folks involved, but perhaps that's my own bias

53 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Thanks. I'll have a look for the replay, but I don't particularly want to relive that match. It really wouldn't shock me if OneSoccer doesn't want to highlight that criticism. As a Pacific fan I've felt hard done by in this tournament when it comes to officiating, and it extends beyond the penalties. It just seems like every 50-50 went against us and there was no consistency. I'm also sick and tired of how bias everyone at OneSoccer seems. I really hope they get some western Canadian folks involved, but perhaps that's my own bias

I think that was his main gripe. Consistency.