Karifa Yao

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's because Axel Schuster the executive director came into his job saying he wanted to make the Whitecaps heavily dependent on Canadian talent. Or maybe he even referred to more local talent, don't recall. Then he made this (mistaken) parallel with Athletic Club (proper name) who play only Basque players, born Basque, or raised, or of Basque origin.

I already knew the bolded part, but you added greater context with the axel part.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Hasn't been able to get an MLS minute thus far.  How has he done in Next Pro?

The general verdict of WFC2 is that they're good on offense, poor on defense. The Third Sub did a review on how the WFC2 players are doing so far, and he was in the "well...it's early (but they better hurry up)" category.

https://thethirdsub.ca/2023/05/11/wfc2-stock-up-stock-down/

I haven’t watched his Next Pro games (the ones he happened to play in were on TV+ instead of youtube), but he’s played in 3 and won 3 (Caps are 4-1-0-3 overall) so he’s probably doing something right.

He played the second leg of the Champions League tie against Real España and was… okay? 

His physicality is great, and he made some good tackles, but he seems shockingly slow for a young guy. To his credit, he seemed to get into the right place more often than not, but he can’t keep up with the pace when the game gets stretched. Midday in Honduras is probably the last place I would want to run for 90 minutes, but he needs to do some serious speed work.

Tangent time: I have watched a fair bit of Dasovic and Campagna’s games, and they haven’t impressed. Campagna in particular seems way too blasé on the field. Consistently slow to react.

Edited by footballfreak

48 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I haven’t watched his Next Pro games (the ones he happened to play in were on TV+ instead of youtube), but he’s played in 3 and won 3 (Caps are 4-1-0-3 overall) so he’s probably doing something right.

One of the games he played in was livestreamed on YouTube

When does VWFC's handling of young players come in to question?  If reports on Campagna are true, that would be another in a long list of hot prospects from the Vancouver system that aren't living up to the hype:

Gianfranco Facchineri (went from U17 captain to Windsor City FC)
Kamron Habibullah (he was supposed to be the "next one")
Lowell Wright (nowhere to be seen but I guess there's still time)
Damiano Pecile (playing in Finland?)

Those were all top guys with our youth teams that are no longer on the trajectory that they once were.  Campagna was supposed to be a game changer and he was one of the few that looked alright with the U20s so I really hoped he would be good with a year in Next Pro.  Aside from the one very obvious example, I'm having a hard time coming up with young players from the VWFC system that are even on a modest trajectory like contemporaries Priso and Nelson.  Maybe Colyn?

44 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

When does VWFC's handling of young players come in to question?  If reports on Campagna are true, that would be another in a long list of hot prospects from the Vancouver system that aren't living up to the hype:

Those were all top guys with our youth teams that are no longer on the trajectory that they once were.  Campagna was supposed to be a game changer and he was one of the few that looked alright with the U20s so I really hoped he would be good with a year in Next Pro.  Aside from the one very obvious example, I'm having a hard time coming up with young players from the VWFC system that are even on a modest trajectory like contemporaries Priso and Nelson.  Maybe Colyn?

I don't think we can count Wright. If we are, then we have to count Ahmed, who's come out of WFC2 and looked great.

I remember when Pacific came in and I was told about "all these great players WFC just wasn't giving an opportunity to", how they'd excel once they got away from WFC. And it hasn't happened. Maybe some of that is on the Whitecaps. But, maybe some is on the players. Either talent or effort or any mixture of the two.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

The Caps are still recovering from the incomprehensible decision not to field a reserve team at all from 2018 to 2021 (the years that Priso and Nelson were developing at TFC II). It isn’t exactly a revelation that the team with a reserve team produced players while the team without one did not. Guys like Adekugbe, Cornelius, Bair, Baldisimo, Colyn, etc. suffered from that mistake. Some still came good out on loan. Others withered.

It’s also worth noting that Kam is not a contemporary of Nelson or Priso, who are both 2002s. Kam is a late 2003. Campagna is younger still, and plays the outfield position that develops the latest. My tepid take on him is from a sample size of less than five games, and there is every chance he will still develop into an MLS player.

Habibullah is a mixed bag. When he feels like trying, he can be very effective. When he doesn’t, he disappears. He pops up late in games and provides big moments, but he also calls his own number way too often and is inefficient. The ball tends to flow to him rather than through him. 

He could still potentially do a job in MLS if he wasn’t stuck behind one of the deepest attacking midfields in the league: Gauld, Vite, Caicedo, (Schöpf), Ngando. Even playing with dual 10s, the main team had to ship Dajome out of town because there simply weren’t enough minutes to go around. His departure, and the potential future departure of Caicedo (speculation), may open up opportunities for Habibullah, but there is ample competition from Coupland and Levonte Johnson.

Wright showed up in preseason grossly overweight and, as far as I know, not much has changed since then. WFC can help manage that, but ultimately it’s on him to get into game shape. If he wants to be a professional, he’ll put in the work. If not, then he can be the CanPL version of Anthony Bennett.

Since this has already spiralled away from the thread topic:

*Coupland leads all of Next Pro in tackles (21). He is also 2nd in “attacking assists” - not exactly sure what the precise definition is. Passes resulting in shots/chances maybe.

* I’m somewhat high on Elage Bah (2004) and seemingly so are the coaching staff. He’s 2nd in WFC2 minutes and tackles. Decision-making needs some work, but he’s slippery, reasonably tidy on the ball, and draws plenty of fouls. He is a dribbly boi.

* Vasco Fry has been generally underwhelming but continues to see steady minutes. Jury still out.

* Boehmer and Anchor have been trading gaffs. So far Anchor is on the losing end of things, but neither look ready.

* The stats on Habibullah’s conversion rate are pretty damning. 8 shots on target and 3 goals from 25 total attempts. That’s a 12% conversion rate. He either needs to call his own shot less or start putting them in the net.

* Malcolm Johnston started the year on the bench, but is getting more time lately. I’ve missed most of his games unfortunately, but his pass completion is the best on the team.

Not sure what trajectory Priso is on.  Except for a lengthy start two weeks ago, he has been a limited minute sub for Colorado.  He needs to become a regular starter.

Baldisimo and Bair had decent spells with the senior team but couldn't take their games to the next level.  One player's trajectory who has been clearly on the rise since leaving the subs' bench in Vancouver is Cornelius.

17 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

One player's trajectory who has been clearly on the rise since leaving the subs' bench in Vancouver is Cornelius.

And Cornelius's success has come in leagues I rate below MLS (Greece and Turkey). I mean, good for him of course. Glad he's finding success abroad. But I've never been convinced the Whitecaps were the ones holding him back either.

30 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

And Cornelius's success has come in leagues I rate below MLS (Greece and Turkey). I mean, good for him of course. Glad he's finding success abroad. But I've never been convinced the Whitecaps were the ones holding him back either.

How about Cornelius's performance with the CMNT at the 2019 GC, 2-0 win vs USA at BMO, away tie vs Jamaica in WCQ and the most 2 recent NL games?

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

How about Cornelius's performance with the CMNT at the 2019 GC, 2-0 win vs USA at BMO, away tie vs Jamaica in WCQ and the most 2 recent NL games?

2019 Gold Cup? The one they lost to Haiti?

He was on the bench for the 2-0 win over the US. 

I don't think I can be overly impressed with an away win over Curacao or home win vs a bad Honduras team.

28 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

2019 Gold Cup? The one they lost to Haiti?

He was on the bench for the 2-0 win over the US. 

I don't think I can be overly impressed with an away win over Curacao or home win vs a bad Honduras team.

They may have lost to Haiti, but that was a full strength Canada squad  and Cornelius played every game .... and he started with Vitoria in the 2-0 win over the US at BMO.  Was on the bench in the away loss. Comparing leagues can be somewhat subjective. He has started every game for the top team in Sweden. Malmo has won all their games this season. Think he deserves more credit than you are giving him.

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

he started with Vitoria in the 2-0 win over the US at BMO. 

No, he didn't. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/match/_/gameId/606060

22 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He has started every game for the top team in Sweden. Malmo has won all their games this season. Think he deserves more credit than you are giving him.

I think he's found his level. And that's a really good level. But I think it's still below MLS.

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

You are confusing the 2019 Nations League game

I'm confusing the 2019 Nations League game? By saying he didn't play in the 2022 WCQ game against the US and then linking to the starting line up for the 2022 WCQ that shows him on the bench?

Edit: I see what you're saying. Different 2-0 wins over the US. Fair enough, though in that case I'd say the WCQ game was the more important one, and he was on the bench for it.

Edited by Watchmen

30 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

No, he didn't. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/match/_/gameId/606060

I think he's found his level. And that's a really good level. But I think it's still below MLS.

I have a real hard to time saying any 25 year old centre back has found his level.  So much of that position is mental. Not every CB improves in the 5 or even 7  years after 25, but I have seen a whole lot that have.

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have a real hard to time saying any 25 year old centre back has found his level.  So much of that position is mental. Not every CB improves in the 5 or even 7  years after 25, but I have seen a whole lot that have.

Fair enough, but my main point was that I'm not totally sold on saying he "rose up" after leaving the Whitecaps when it took him taking a step down in leagues to do so.

I think the Caps would probably have brought Cornelius back into the fold if he had been willing when his loan spell ended. We desperately needed (and still do) a left footed centre back, and Jungwirth’s contract had just come off the books. Cornelius would have had to fight Blackmon for a starting spot, but there would have been a good chance to start. Certainly he would have been cheaper than the ridiculous 830K being paid to Laborda.

It may just have been a case where he wanted to continue to pursue options in Europe, even if it meant playing at a level slightly below MLS. He gets guaranteed starters minutes and continues to develop.

24 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

It may just have been a case where he wanted to continue to pursue options in Europe, even if it meant playing at a level slightly below MLS. He gets guaranteed starters minutes and continues to develop.

Exactly.  He also got himself back into the NT squad.

In Vancouver, I would agree with others' opinions that he made mistakes and was underwhelming.  I just found that he got a hair trigger hook from the starting line up  while guys like "Coach on the Field" Rose were good for a goal conceding gaffe a game and still kept a starting place on a lousy team.  Maybe he didn't handle the situation well in training and that could have been a factor.  Perhaps needed some maturing, who knows?  It wasn't working for him at the club so it was in the best interests of both player and club to part ways, and that happens lots. But what we do know is that he worked his way back up into the NT set up after leaving Vancouver