Karifa Yao

• 7 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, dyslexic nam said:

FWIW, I think any new play thread in the CMNTsection should include a bit of basic info about the player.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=5118&t=profile&

Born and raised in Montreal.  Known to the folks that run the national youth camps.

What ever happened to the player threads being in the 'players' section instead of the 'Men's National Teams' section? I guess most were already created in the national team section that it seemed too much work.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Considering the fact Montreal went down to ten men, and are low-key a tire fire i'm not surprised.

Funny that the night before, RSL went down to ten men and yet looked like they had the man advantage for much of the remainder of the match, in the end getting done in by a first class set up and finish.

I'm curious to know more about Yao.

Edited by BearcatSA

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Funny that the night before, RSL went down to ten men and yet looked like they had the man advantage for much of the remainder of the match, in the end getting done by a first class set up and finish.

I'm curious to know more about Yao.

MDS for some reason likes to pull the guys back and wait for the counter when the Caps are man up. Frustrating to watch but none the less has worked, barely. 

Anyone know how this guy did in the last two matches?  In the Buchanan thread where there was a highlight of his assist, he looked big and very fast tracking back but he did leave his man to close down Buchanan who then just dumped the ball off to him who scored.  Frankly Binks should have tried to shut down Buchanan and Yao should have stayed where he was in my view but I think Yao tried to overcompensate for Binks acting like a pylon and it cost them. Binks should have also spotted the danger when Yao tried to close down Buchanan but didn’t and just stood there. So I put most of the blame there 

• 1 year later...

Wanted to bump this thread after watching Yao play for the Cavalry the last few games. He has been dominant at the back and winning every ball. I think the playing time has been good for him and he looks a lot more confident than when the season began. I know we have seen a few of the loanees succeed in the CPL then not get minutes in MLS, but would think he deserves a longer look for Montreal at some point.

Edited by IceCreamMan

16 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Wanted to bump this thread after watching Yao play for the Cavalry the last few games. He has been dominant at the back and winning every ball. I think the playing time has been good for him and he looks a lot more confident than when the season began. I know we have seen a few of the loanees succeed in the CPL then not get minutes in MLS, but would think he deserves a longer look for Montreal at some point.

Luckily he's owned by a club that has two former CPL players contributing in Waterman and Pantemis. I think that bodes well for him.

19 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

He was excellent against a pretty good Pacific attack last night. Totally shut us down

I watched segments of Calvary this season and I haven't really noticed Yao. For a CB I guess that's a good thing. He seems to have improved with his stay out West. Anyone who follows the CPL  have a better scouting report? 

Edited by Sal333

35 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I watched segments of Calvary this season and I haven't really noticed Yao. For a CB I guess that's a good thing. He seems to have improved with his stay out West. Anyone who follows the CPL  have a better scouting report? 

He makes at least one crunching, devastating, perfectly clean slide tackle per game. With more playing time his decision making has really improved. He's of a decent size and fairly mobile. His confidence and decisiveness has him being one of the more entertaining Cavs players this season as he hunts down his prey each game (IMO).

2 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

They’re quickly going to have a log jam with Miller, Waterman, Yao, Ferdinand and Camacho. I’d imagine Yao get MLS minutes next year.

Montreal wants to be a selling club that team-sells the undervalued.. they’re going to have some interest for certain players this winter.

Edited by Dominic94

Reminds me of Doneil Henry without the impending sense of doom. Extremely aggressive with the slide tackle, but winning nearly every one. Albeit at the CPL level, but picks his spots well and then when he commits he has been physically dominant. Cavs had Boskovic at CB on loan last year who would have come in with a pretty similar pedigree. Yao has been night and day a larger contributor than Boskovic. 

Edited by IceCreamMan