Karifa Yao

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They’re quickly going to have a log jam with Miller, Waterman, Yao, Ferdinand and Camacho. I’d imagine Yao get MLS minutes next year.

Montreal wants to be a selling club that team-sells the undervalued.. they’re going to have some interest for certain players this winter.

Camacho has just refused an offer from CFMTL for a long term contract where he'll see less money per year than he does now.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm watching the CPL semi final between Cavalry and Pacific, and one aspect of Yao's game that is very intriguing is that he's a ball playing cb. If he develops over the next few years with Montreal he could eventually turn into an option for the national team given that we don't have many cbs able to hit long diagonals other than Vitoria.

This is a great example of why, long term the CPL, will benefit our country 

@Tyler55submission above had me intrigued and I watched the second half of the game on one soccer - what a revelation as Yao is so athletic and composed - an upside that so intriguing along with how many other “unknowns” today and in the future - 

18 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

This is a great example of why, long term the CPL, will benefit our country 

@Tyler55submission above had me intrigued and I watched the second half of the game on one soccer - what a revelation as Yao is so athletic and composed - an upside that so intriguing along with how many other “unknowns” today and in the future - 

Without the CPL, Yao would likely be kicking around the u23 team at Montreal, same with Ferdinand, Rea and Sirois. Before, younger players in MLS would normally only get a chance to play if someone was injured or not fit, but now u21 players loaned to CPL can show their parent clubs how consistent and effective they can be over an entire season playing professionally.

The other aspect is of course the players outside of the MLS system which is the biggest unknown and we haven't even scratched the surface yet, CPL's u21 initiative is giving chances to local players in CPL markets that has never been available before. Imagine a 13-14 year old kid with the talent of Enes Sali or Flores, no longer is the choice only between MLS academies or going abroad, CPL offers them a chance to play here for a year or two and then move on. I think even in the next 2-3 years there will be some really good young emerging talent cultivated in the league. Guys like Sebastian Castello or Lowell Wright who instead of being stuck in an academy system forever are already scoring at 17 in CPL, exciting times ahead.

14 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He will be with the Impact at the start of the year and is going to get a shot, Renard confirmed the departure of Camacho and that while the team needs help defensively they’ll look within and get better with time. Would Imagine Ferdinand also gets a shake.

That's scary.  As much as I dislike Camacho, I can't help but feel CFMTL need a steadying presence on the backline.  Otherwise it'll be Waterman or Miller stepping up to run it and not sure if either are ready for that responsibility.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

That's scary.  As much as I dislike Camacho, I can't help but feel CFMTL need a steadying presence on the backline.  Otherwise it'll be Waterman or Miller stepping up to run it and not sure if either are ready for that responsibility.

They want to build from within and give the kids a chance it seems.

Oh I dont know, Miller has been pretty steady for the NATS, and this is going to be his 4th year in MLS.  He should be ready to go and Watermans got 2 years in now.  Between them, Yao and Ferdinand, I kind of like the mix.  Havnt they even played Bassong at some CB??  Plus I think Camacho was a destabilizing force about 30% of the time.  

I know it seems crazy, building from within, promoting kids from the academy and trusting youngsters but it takes all kinds.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh I dont know, Miller has been pretty steady for the NATS, and this is going to be his 4th year in MLS.  He should be ready to go and Watermans got 2 years in now.  Between them, Yao and Ferdinand, I kind of like the mix.  Havnt they even played Bassong at some CB??  Plus I think Camacho was a destabilizing force about 30% of the time.  

I know it seems crazy, building from within, promoting kids from the academy and trusting youngsters but it takes all kinds.  

This. They want to buy and sell and it’s important to give their academy a chance, they got complements from US teams this year. The talent is there but it’s needed a chance and just look at Choniere…

Watched him a few times and he looks like he has all the tools to become a regular for the Impact next year, which would be huge at his age. Physically dominant in the CPL, good speed for his size, confident on the ball, reads the game well, looks comfortable in a back 3 or flat 4. Not many options at CB for the national team so we really need one of these young guys to hit.

From the games Pacific have had against him, he looks to be very imposing physically. Commanding, strong, fast, and he seems to time challenges pretty well, and is strong in the air and in duels. I'd guess the tools are there, and he doesn't seem to be as rash or prone to gaffs as some of our other CBs. I haven't watched an awful lot of him though

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone know how he’s playing this year? I don’t follow CPL much but I always heard this guy had great potential. Any chance he can play for CF Montreal next year if miller leaves for Europe or maybe even not and they can have a all Canadian back line or if miller stays should he try to go to another mls team?

2 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Anyone know how he’s playing this year? I don’t follow CPL much but I always heard this guy had great potential. Any chance he can play for CF Montreal next year if miller leaves for Europe or maybe even not and they can have a all Canadian back line or if miller stays should he try to go to another mls team?

He’s generally solid but from the limited action I saw last night may not have been his night 

On 8/4/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jack1997 said:

I have been tracking the team of the week so far this season for top Canadian players. It is written by Platt and Jack so maybe there is some bias, but I assume they do a decent job. Yao has been on the team of the week 6 times. Along with Bekker they have been totw more than any other Canadians. So I think it is fair to say he is having a standout season at this level.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, rydermike said:

This one is a real surprise. Just turned 22 and was a standout for Cavalry this year. I won't be surprised if he is picked up by another MLS side or tests the waters in Europe as opposed to settling for another CPL stint.

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

This one is a real surprise. Just turned 22 and was a standout for Cavalry this year. I won't be surprised if he is picked up by another MLS side or tests the waters in Europe as opposed to settling for another CPL stint.

I watched a few of Cavalry's games and I was unimpressed. He was slow in pace and reaction. He struck me as a CPL lifer.

Edited by Sal333