Karifa Yao

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Our young CBs are blighted. Just bizarre that they all seem to flame out. The list is just endless

A surprising number of CB spots in CPL are taken up by foreign veterans. It seems most teams don't have the patience for the mistakes and growing pains younger players will have in that position.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

A surprising number of CB spots in CPL are taken up by foreign veterans. It seems most teams don't have the patience for the mistakes and growing pains younger players will have in that position.

While somewhat understandable, it's unfortunate. We need a pro environment for our young CBs to develop further

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The spine of the team tends to be where you target the larger contracts if you have a limited budget.

Part of the reason I'm surprised few of the teams in CPL seem to have invested much in goalkeeping, in a league where GK is probably the weakest position overall.

Edited by jonovision

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The spine of the team tends to be where you target the larger contracts if you have a limited budget.

For years I’ve been listening to the argument that MLS is an exciting league because teams tend to spend significantly more on attackers than defenders

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Shway said:

Why’s that? Because of the lead?

That is why - they can essentially field a B team with some backup firepower left on the bench and still be assured of progressing.  Lets them rest first teamers for the league and gives some young guys and fringe players some valuable experience playing in a hostile away environment.   Padding their goal differential last night was a huge help - which is why they never took their foot off the gas.   

18 minutes ago, Shway said:

Like a lot of memes, That one went over my head lol.

Someone explain please, I think I’m taking it too literal?

Just a funny presumption that now that the Whitecaps have a safe lead, they will fill their starting XI with Canadian players for the away leg.

Edited by Metro

17 hours ago, Shway said:

Like a lot of memes, That one went over my head lol.

Someone explain please, I think I’m taking it too literal?

It's because Axel Schuster the executive director came into his job saying he wanted to make the Whitecaps heavily dependent on Canadian talent. Or maybe he even referred to more local talent, don't recall. Then he made this (mistaken) parallel with Athletic Club (proper name) who play only Basque players, born Basque, or raised, or of Basque origin.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist