• Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

2 wingers, 2 strikers 2 CBs very bare minimum. RB if Juarez remains in midfield or leaves. 

Arguably need another winger or two on top of that and really not convinced by the fullbacks. If one of those strikers can also occupy the number 10 to give Reyna/Colyn Competition thats great. 

Wow is that 10 Canadians on the roster?!  After hiring Dos Santos and prepping for this season with more than50% Canuck representation - is that proof that the Whitecaps no longer hate Canada?! Definitely going to be the team I follow most closely after TFC. Hope the younger Whitecaps get some minutes and start getting into the mix soon for CMNT!

I like the hire.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/18/whitecaps-fc-add-nick-dasovic-technical-staff-u-23-coach

Clearly the Fresno link was pretty much a waste of time. Tisk tisk Frank Yallop. Not sure how much more beneficial this u-23 squad will be and how games will work efficiently to the level needed for players to develop. Time will tell and maybe there is more to the story with other clubs involved.

Interview here: (although looks like it's also in the original article too)

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/18/dasovic-were-taking-very-seriously?autoplay=true

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

2 wingers, 2 strikers 2 CBs very bare minimum. RB if Juarez remains in midfield or leaves. 

Arguably need another winger or two on top of that and really not convinced by the fullbacks. If one of those strikers can also occupy the number 10 to give Reyna/Colyn Competition thats great. 

Unless he has a quickness transplant, Juarez's days as an RB are over.  It would be like watching Nick Garcia play fullback for TFC:  you need to have a perpetual flank midfield minder providing defensive support.

20 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Seeing it printed out like that is pretty shocking, hopefully some more signings are coming.

To be generous, there are lot of question marks on this roster to go along with the job openings.  At the moment, it has the feel of a long weekend beer league tournament team hoping to get a bunch of pick up guys just before the first match on Saturday morning.

11 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Wow is that 10 Canadians on the roster?!  After hiring Dos Santos and prepping for this season with more than50% Canuck representation - is that proof that the Whitecaps no longer hate Canada?! Definitely going to be the team I follow most closely after TFC. Hope the younger Whitecaps get some minutes and start getting into the mix soon for CMNT!

Dos Santos is ruining this forum with none of us able to have fun anymore bitching at the Caps for hating Canada and having the enjoyment of pissing of Caps fans in the process! 

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Whitecaps.....LOVE Canada?

Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

No it doesn't. And what will the Caps apologists do when they can't inform us in great detail that soccer is a business and Canadian players have to take their chances and show that they are better than the competition? They may not have anything more to post here and will end up as extinct as Krammerhead! This is almost a "Won't Somebody Think of the Children?" moment! 

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

I like the hire.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/18/whitecaps-fc-add-nick-dasovic-technical-staff-u-23-coach

Clearly the Fresno link was pretty much a waste of time. Tisk tisk Frank Yallop. Not sure how much more beneficial this u-23 squad will be and how games will work efficiently to the level needed for players to develop....

Looks like they are gearing up towards having a USL reserve team again. Problem is that the geographical spread of USL 1 doesn't fit well for a Vancouver team until there are more teams west of the Rockies. If only there was a Canadian league they could play in with lots of teams in western Canada...

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Looks like they are gearing up towards having a USL reserve team again. Problem is that the geographical spread of USL 1 doesn't fit well for a Vancouver team until there are more teams west of the Rockies. If only there was a Canadian league they could play in with lots of teams in western Canada...

They can when we have enough teams for Division 2.

11 Canadians signed to the Whitecaps. Im happy to see Whitecaps giving Canadians a chance when the trend accross the league is in the other direction when it comes to domestic players. We need now some top end talent to support them because at the end of the day its all about winning. But at least all things being equal if young players are going to be given a chance at least theyre Canadians and not Americans

On 1/18/2019 at 9:52 PM, Club Linesman said:

I believe this is 100% the Whitecaps fending off a CPL franchise in the Fraser Valley. 

They feel more threatened by Canadian content than by fans complaining about crappy playing style. 

Canadians or not, it is, as we stand, one of the weakest squads in MLS.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a worry right now. We have another 7-10 players coming in though, the majority of which will be starters. It wont be the end game but I'm still optimistic we will be pleasantly surprised once the season starts. 

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I believe this is 100% the Whitecaps fending off a CPL franchise in the Fraser Valley. 

They feel more threatened by Canadian content than by fans complaining about crappy playing style. 

From everything ive heard from MDS i highly doubt what the CPL might be doing is affecting his decision making. I think it reflects a different approach to building a roster than Robbo had. Biggest example of that was what MDs did with the goaltender spot. He just straight up said he wont burn an import spot and cap space on the goaltender position. He probably wont do the same with a 4th choice midfielder

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

From everything ive heard from MDS i highly doubt what the CPL might be doing is affecting his decision making. I think it reflects a different approach to building a roster than Robbo had. Biggest example of that was what MDs did with the goaltender spot. He just straight up said he wont burn an import spot and cap space on the goaltender position. He probably wont do the same with a 4th choice midfielder

I wouldn't not underestimate the kind of mandate he had coming in--in fact, the very reason he was hired.

I don't want to overstate this, but the team has not played well for years, and then there are rivals appearing on the horizon who could claim the Canadian tag, which failing quality football is one of the only other virtues the Caps can claim and still lose. Plenty of Caps fans are teed off and the FO knows this, fans are standing off as well until the team signings get clearer--and not one, so far, would make anyone buy tickets. 

For me the tactic is meant to fend off pressure from a possible CPL team in near Vancouver. MDS is part of the tactic, and he is in line with it, so it is not like it is just a coincidence.

Still, Can content is only a part of the equation. If the Caps do not add 3-4 major signings to complement the squad and make it clearly competitive, there will be hell to pay all around.

Whether Vancouver is a tire fire this is up for debate, but Dos Santos is s winner and he employs Canadians.  The Whitecaps will no doubt sign more talent but the roster will be at worst 33% Canadian and we want our players to get opportunities and they will get chances in Vancouver.Looking forward to TFC then Whitecaps double headers.

Archived