Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This article gives the Sigthorsson story, and links if you scroll down to the Venuto signing, and the rumour of a young Tunisian centre back, Benzaza.

Nothing to get really wild about, and certainly, until now, not a single real draw for fans. 

This...when fans of the world game like us are scratching our heads and asking, "who?" I wonder what the casual supporter makes of all this B-Grade  bargain-hunting in a market that was expecting some return entertainment-wise after losing some pretty exciting and valuable puzzle pieces.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Most teams in MLS play on grass. Still, home games are pretty darn important.

Whitecaps practice on grass so basically 90% of soccer played on grass.. probably more. MDS during media day said mark the day down and then completely de bunked the turf myth, called out Canada hockey culture obsessed with goaltending, compared fans transfer expectations to buuing jeans at Zara, said Anthony Blondell will absolutely hate hkm because ge doesnt except laziness etc etc. He's a complete quote machine and is really endearing himself to the media and fans in a short period of time. The guy is so honest, maybe to a fault but its sure entertaining 

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't care if he's a quote machine or as boring as Bill Belichick.  The only thing that should matter are the results and the on field product.

Brave comment. Yah of course

The important part that has people impressed are these signings seem to have real purpose with lots of upside. 

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Brave comment. Yah of course

The important part that has people impressed are these signings seem to have real purpose with lots of upside. 

Yes, mine is a Captain Obvious statement but I can look back through the archives and find glowing statements about Robbo's and Rennie's signings in the very early days of their tenures.  What I like most about this guy is his c.v. and the situations in which he has plied his trade and honed his craft.  He might be the perfect fit and I hope he is.

9 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Yes, mine is a Captain Obvious statement but I can look back through the archives and find glowing statements about Robbo's and Rennie's signings in the very early days of their tenures.  What I like most about this guy is his c.v. and the situations in which he has plied his trade and honed his craft.  He might be the perfect fit and I hope he is.

If i look at 5 years of Robbo in totality i give it a passing grade. Rennie wouldn't know a decent footballer if they walked up and shook his hand

38 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Clips i see looks like a Korean Eden Hazard.. kid looks like a possession machine.

Not sure its been mentioned but the main concern about him playing Div 2 is misleading. He was serving his mandatory military service and the military has a team in div2

I read that he was released from military service early due to some good performances for the youth national teams. His home club is definitely D2.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If i look at 5 years of Robbo in totality i give it a passing grade. Rennie wouldn't know a decent footballer if they walked up and shook his hand

Looking at it in retrospection, I don't disagree with this but I think posters at the time were generally optimistic about their early tenure signings, as well.  

One thing for certain: This team is shaping up to be one of the shortest in all of MLS. Henry and Corenelius and Rose are tall, but many of the new guys, not to mention Tiebert, Felipe, Reyna et al., are on the shorter side.  Most of these guys seem to have incredible engines, much like Tiebert. It is going to take a while for this team to gel under MDS, what with so many new faces and a new system, but there is no doubt this team will not look--in any way--like the team we've watched under Robbo for 5 years. They might be more akin to how Dallas has played for the last 5 or 6 years. Cannot wait to witness the evolution. Only a month before the hope opener!

Scott Sutter signed..still a solid player

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/30/vancouver-whitecaps-sign-former-orlando-city-right-back-scott-sutter

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of January 30, 2019:

FORWARDS:

• Bair, Theo

MIDFIELDERS:

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

DEFENDERS:

• Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

MDS says they will sign two forwards. I presume the Sutter signing means the Cordova deal is fully dead.

Once they sign the two forwards and Hwang, the roster must be pretty close to done, no? What else are we missing?

They must rate Theo Bair pretty highly if they are only going to sign two forwards in addition to him.

Caps Twitter account is suggesting they will announce a "big" signing by 4pm PT today.  I am guessing it will be Hwang, but let's see. 

From the various player interviews on the Caps site it sounds like MDS is wasting no time in establishing a very clear and strong culture. Sounds, too, like the intensity level at training is higher than it was under Robbo. This is deliberate, of course. MDS wants his players to train with the same intensity as he expects to see on game day. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

Caps Twitter account is suggesting they will announce a "big" signing by 4pm PT today.  I am guessing it will be Hwang, but let's see. 

From the various player interviews on the Caps site it sounds like MDS is wasting no time in establishing a very clear and strong culture. Sounds, too, like the intensity level at training is higher than it was under Robbo. This is deliberate, of course. MDS wants his players to train with the same intensity as he expects to see on game day. 

Confirmed.  That looks like a smart signing:  a young guy on the rise.

Hwang In-beom signed as a Young Designated Player

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/30/vancouver-whitecaps-ink-south-korean-international-midfielder-hwang-beom

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of January 30, 2019:

FORWARDS:

• Bair, Theo

MIDFIELDERS:

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Hwang In-beom
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

DEFENDERS:

• Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

9 hours ago, The Beaver said:

MDS says they will sign two forwards. I presume the Sutter signing means the Cordova deal is fully dead.

Once they sign the two forwards and Hwang, the roster must be pretty close to done, no? What else are we missing?

CBs?  There are two rumours out there but no confirmations.

Archived