Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

I agree with folks here we need a solid, experienced centre back with "hierarchy", and 2 and maybe three new attackers.

One should be a killer, with DP status, because all this speed and mobility is all very well if you don't have the pure striking talent.

We probably also need some outside talent, to break down defenses with speed or skill out wide.

Still, all that said, it looks to me they pretty well have pocketed the Davies transfer money for home renos or whatever, the squad is almost smack in the middle of MLS in terms of quality, or even slightly below the median, since so many are untested in the league itself.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, The Beaver said:

If we add the CB from Argentina and a couple of bona fide goal scorers, then MDS has pretty much filled out the roster, no?

So, GlassCity, is MDS still pursuing the Icelandic fellow? Who else up front? Camillo? Cavallini? 

Nope. Sigthorsson is off the table.

1 hour ago, GlassCity said:

Both Khemiri and Godoy have been confirmed in their respective countries, just waiting for the Whitecaps to do a release.

Hopefully these guys will adapt well to the league and their new teammates.  That leaves only one question:  who's going to be the key organizer in the back line?

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree with folks here we need a solid, experienced centre back with "hierarchy", and 2 and maybe three new attackers.

One should be a killer, with DP status, because all this speed and mobility is all very well if you don't have the pure striking talent.

We probably also need some outside talent, to break down defenses with speed or skill out wide.

Still, all that said, it looks to me they pretty well have pocketed the Davies transfer money for home renos or whatever, the squad is almost smack in the middle of MLS in terms of quality, or even slightly below the median, since so many are untested in the league itself.

Agree with most of this, but I will reserve judgement on the notion that the Caps are pocketing most of the Davies dollars. MDS made it very clear during a press conference that he is building this team in phases and that he and the organization WILL spend on bigger players at the right point in his plan. I think he wants to build a solid foundation first, establish a consistent style of play, test the group he has, and then make refinements over the course of the season and into next year.  Sounds to me that once he has a squad ready to do something in the playoffs he will bring in one or two players who can make a big difference.  But, to quote one of MDS's favourite phrases, it is a process. Who knows if his strategy will work, but at least he is being strategic. 

50 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Agree with most of this, but I will reserve judgement on the notion that the Caps are pocketing most of the Davies dollars. MDS made it very clear during a press conference that he is building this team in phases and that he and the organization WILL spend on bigger players at the right point in his plan. I think he wants to build a solid foundation first, establish a consistent style of play, test the group he has, and then make refinements over the course of the season and into next year.  Sounds to me that once he has a squad ready to do something in the playoffs he will bring in one or two players who can make a big difference.  But, to quote one of MDS's favourite phrases, it is a process. Who knows if his strategy will work, but at least he is being strategic. 

Hopefully, the process involves most of these new guys panning out but I sense the refinements might involve a newbie of two not settling or an incumbent or two being moved on.  Granted, with the latter, there aren't many incumbents from which to choose.

At least I'm not seeing a number of his ex USLers (a la Martin Rennie) populating this roster.  I'm also looking forward to seeing which (or, if any) Academy products really breakthrough.

I think this guy in charge indeed is a man with a plan.  There will be some growing pains but I am very optimistic.

2 minutes ago, saladroit said:

for what it's worth, the caps are literally not allowed to 'pocket' the davies money. they have to re-invest it either into the academy or first-team

i get the impression that they're going to splurge on a DP striker using a decent portion of that davies $$$

We live in hope.

12 hours ago, The Beaver said:

I was just bs-ing, I admit.

And more importantly, I do recognize that it is more responsible of them to do it the MDS way, you have a core, see if you can be competitive, if  you can be in a playoff spot, then act to enhance the club in a major way, without going nuts, with a heftier signing. I was just being impatient.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC sign Tunisian center back Jasser Khmiri

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/01/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-sign-tunisian-center-back-jasser-khmiri

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of February 1, 2019:

FORWARDS:

• Bair, Theo

MIDFIELDERS:

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Hwang In-beom
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

DEFENDERS:

• Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Khmiri, Jasser
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

Effy and Caps mutually agree to part ways. Nobody will be surprised by this news, but I will admit that I am happy this is now resolved. Nothing against Juarez personally; I just do see how he fits MDS's plans. Plus Juarez did not contribute at the level he was supposed to last season, by any measure.

• GK is sorted
  • Backline is looking workable now (especially if Godoy comes), also a big chance for Escobar and Mukumbilwa to step up in Hawaii to try and stake a claim for being 5th choice.
  • Midfield is roughly there, certainly in the middle. I think another Winger (maybe winger/striker) is needed but I know MDS has mentioned he sees Reyna as a winger and Giro can play there. 
  • Upfront we absolutely need to see two strikers at least - a DP striker and one more.   

I am impressed with the clean up job they have done so far. None of the incomings get me hugely excited to be honest but only in terms of them not being name players. They all look like solid signings with HUGE upsides. If he can get them gelling together with his instructions (which will take time) we might be able to look back on this as a masterstroke rather than a Rennie, Robson retrospective tearfest. 

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:
  •  I know MDS has mentioned he sees Reyna as a winger and Giro can play there. 

I'm not sure that I see Reyna as a winger but I guess it depends upon what MDS is expecting defensively from his wingers.  I thought he was best as a second striker with license to go to the flanks as needed.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm not sure that I see Reyna as a winger but I guess it depends upon what MDS is expecting defensively from his wingers.  I thought he was best as a second striker with license to go to the flanks as needed.

yeah, I feel the same. But I've a feeling Reyna is going to be stellar this year. Could be wrong, but seems like MDS is building a soccer savvy and high intensity squad, and that Reyna is going to benefit from both having better quality around him AND having a team playing a cohesive style/strategy. We might have a team that can actually play with the ball at their feet for decent spells...

Been reading back through Albacete news since they've picked up Ballou, and found a lot on Erice. I really did not know the player but he was their leading passer and team captain, and it seems he was a big reason they are sitting a point from direct promotion to top flight. Albacete has only lost 3 games out of 23 so far--the three matches Erice did not play.

Did not realise he has played UEFA Cup, at Osasuna they got to semifinals in 2006-07.

One thing that comes out is that his offer from Caps was well above what he was getting paid, and that he chose to go for money and for personal reasons, which he insists on. He had other offers from 2nd div Spain but refused them out of loyalty to the club. Maybe a family question also motivated him to jump at the Caps offer (he speaks of a personal reason to want to go to MLS), have no idea, but in statements he seems very keen to be on Caps and also spoke very well of the negotiation between the clubs, sounds like Vancouver and Albacete handled it very well. 

Sometimes you wonder how the hell the Caps found this guy, but it looks to me to be a strong signing now I've taken a closer look.

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

yeah, I feel the same. But I've a feeling Reyna is going to be stellar this year. Could be wrong, but seems like MDS is building a soccer savvy and high intensity squad, and that Reyna is going to benefit from both having better quality around him AND having a team playing a cohesive style/strategy. We might have a team that can actually play with the ball at their feet for decent spells...

He's on a one year deal (correct me if I am wrong but I really believe that "options" are a favourite MLS red herring giving the impression of long term), so it's a great opportunity for him to make something happen on a consistent basis and maintain or increase his pay packet.  And perhaps having (hopefully) better quality around him, he'll play off of his teammates better this year.  His tendency to hold the ball for too many touches was game-planned against by opponents who double-teamed him when he was in possession deeper in midfield.  Perhaps he'll be more willing to dish it off to Erice and Hwang then he was to his teammates last season.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Been reading back through Albacete news since they've picked up Ballou, and found a lot on Erice. I really did not know the player but he was their leading passer and team captain, and it seems he was a big reason they are sitting a point from direct promotion to top flight. Albacete has only lost 3 games out of 23 so far--the three matches Erice did not play.

Did not realise he has played UEFA Cup, at Osasuna they got to semifinals in 2006-07.

One thing that comes out is that his offer from Caps was well above what he was getting paid, and that he chose to go for money and for personal reasons, which he insists on. He had other offers from 2nd div Spain but refused them out of loyalty to the club. Maybe a family question also motivated him to jump at the Caps offer (he speaks of a personal reason to want to go to MLS), have no idea, but in statements he seems very keen to be on Caps and also spoke very well of the negotiation between the clubs, sounds like Vancouver and Albacete handled it very well. 

Sometimes you wonder how the hell the Caps found this guy, but it looks to me to be a strong signing now I've taken a closer look.

Good stuff. He certainly seems like a guy who will be a leader and a calming presence out there. If he bosses the midfield, with Hwang doing his thing in front of him, then we might--finally--have the general in the middle that we need.  

As for how the Caps found him, MDS is revamping how they scout and identify players. I also think he knows how to assess a player better than Robbo and his crew did. We won't really know until we are well into the season if this is true, but it certainly seems the case.

Vancouver Whitecaps, Efrain Juarez agree to mutually terminate contract

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/01/vancouver-whitecaps-efrain-juarez-agree-mutually-terminate-contract

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of February 1, 2019:

FORWARDS:

• Bair, Theo

MIDFIELDERS:

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Bangoura, Lass
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Erice, Jon
  • Felipe
  • Hwang In-beom
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell
  • Venuto, Lucas

DEFENDERS:

• Cornelius, Derek
  • de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Khmiri, Jasser
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Sutter, Scott

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

Dos Santos focused on Academy as 'Caps travel to Hawaii for 10-day training camp

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/02/01/dos-santos-focused-academy-caps-travel-hawaii-10-day-training-camp

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC travelled to Honolulu, Hawaii on Thursday night for a 10-day training camp that will include their first preseason fixtures of 2019. And they were joined by eight players currently a part of the club’s Academy and development team.  

“I’m focusing a lot on investing time with the Academy players,” Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos said this week when asked about his goals for the Hawaii trip. “We can’t be a club that talks about this vertical integration and then doesn’t live it.”

The Academy/development team players that made the trip are goalkeeper Thomas Hasal, fullbacks Gabriel Escobar and Georges Mukumbilwa, midfielders Chance Carter, Kamron Habibullah, and Patrick Metcalfe, and forwards Jefferson Alade and Brandon Cambridge. If you include Homegrown MLS players Theo Bair, Simon Colyn, Sean Melvin, and David Norman Jr, that makes a total of 12 Whitecaps FC Academy products on the travelling roster. 

Michael Baldisimo and Russell Teibert did not make the trip due to injury.

Dos Santos said he’s targeting the team’s camp in Los Angeles, which runs from February 15 to 23, or the week prior to have most of the roster together, including recently-acquired South Korean international midfielder Hwang In-beom and Tunisian centre back Jasser Khmiri. 

Khmiri, who the ‘Caps acquired on Friday, was Vancouver’s 11th addition of the offseason. And Dos Santos says there are more to come.

"There are [still players] that are going to arrive in the roster that are not here yet," he told reporters. “So in Hawaii we want to make sure these young players that we’re going to be using in training and in the season get a lot of experience on this trip."

Following a week of training, the ‘Caps will open the second annual Pacific Rim Cup on February 8 vs. Japanese J1 club V-Varen Nagasaki before taking the field again in either the championship or third-place match on February 10. This year's four-team tournament also features fellow MLS club Real Salt Lake and Tohoku Member-of-Society Soccer League side Iwaki FC.

Stay to tuned to whitecapsfc.com and follow Whitecaps FC on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for the latest news and updates from Hawaii.

Pacific Rim Cup Schedule 
Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI

Friday, February 8, 2019:
Iwaki FC vs. Real Salt Lake: 7:30 p.m. PT (5:30 p.m. local)
Whitecaps FC vs. V-Varen Hagasaki: 10:15 p.m. PT (8:15 p.m. local)

Sunday, February 10, 2019:
Third-Place Match: 4:30 p.m. PT (2:30 p.m. local)
Championship Match: 7:15 p.m. PT (5:15 p.m. local)

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Unfortunate news, Marcel really seemed settled in Vancouver.

Where will he land next, I wonder? Perhaps a return to the Eredivisie?

I would imagine his days of being a top flight player are behind him. Maybe he can think of a second tier Holland or a B3  German side with a view to transitioning into a coaching role like so many seem to do? Would Ottawa pay enough to make it worth his while, or an ambitious USL side, I wonder?

Archived