Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

Missed the playoffs by a point. Going by memory but i think 2nd and 3rd in the west in the past couple years so lets not get crazy. Sounds like we signed a pretty good winger from La Liga today? I also like the direction on some of the rumours we've seen. Hopefully they hit

I dont think there needs to be some kinda mandate to do people favours. I just felt the Robbo way of doing things was a waist of resources. But clearly the thought was he was trying to put resources in to his buddies pockets

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:16 AM, Grizzly said:

No it doesn't. And what will the Caps apologists do when they can't inform us in great detail that soccer is a business and Canadian players have to take their chances and show that they are better than the competition? They may not have anything more to post here and will end up as extinct as Krammerhead! This is almost a "Won't Somebody Think of the Children?" moment! 

"...that soccer is a business and Canadian players have to take their chances and show that they are better than the competition.."

Still holds true. Hope that the young Canadians he is bringing in will prove to be excellent signings.

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/whitecaps-lass-bangoura/

More details here. Potentially risk and reward signing. 

For years at Rayo they've been saying he is unstable, a huge talent and maybe some problems to keep it all together. 

If the Caps give him a psychologist, and personal support, then just maybe. For me, it is better to just avoid players like this.

At least their is no danger of fans having high expectations of the players coming in: 

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/22/whitecaps-fc-acquire-experienced-spanish-midfielder-jon-erice

Not the position I was expecting us to strengthen further, maybe a squad player to help the kids come through. His experience will be important for the younger players. Good luck to him. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

At least their is no danger of fans having high expectations of the players coming in: 

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/22/whitecaps-fc-acquire-experienced-spanish-midfielder-jon-erice

Not the position I was expecting us to strengthen further, maybe a squad player to help the kids come through. His experience will be important for the younger players. Good luck to him. 

I have a suspicion this was brokered by the same people who sent Ager Aketxe to TFC. Ager's brother was at Albacete last year even, both Jon and Ager are Basque. Not sure but otherwise find it odd.

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

From this and from everything I've heard from MDS, including a recent press conference at the opening of training camp, it seems unmistakable that he has a very clear vision for how he wants this team to play, and is working his ass off in a very smart and disciplined manner to carefully acquire all the pieces he feels are necessary to execute that vision.  Yes, the proof will be in the pudding, but I love a leader who has a clear vision and who is strategic in everything he/she/[non-binary term of your choice] does.  Note, too, that he told reporters in the recent press scrum that he is very close to signing a DP. (Not a splashy big name, but somebody he feels will make a big difference, clearly.)  Erice, it appears, is a guy who is smart, experienced and skilled, a guy who can distribute well from the back, a bit like Morales, but with real defensive chops.  

Excited to see how this all plays out over the season, and into next year.  It is evident that MDS's plan is not a short term one; he is a builder, which is what the Caps desperately need. 

And it is great to see a bunch of Canadians on the team. Every year, when the Caps send out their year end survey, I always say that I'd accept a lesser team in the short term if it was full of young Canadians. I'd also like to note that in many Canadian Championship seasons, Vancouver has had the most Canadians on their roster....and some seasons they've had the least. I think it is pretty stupid to say that the Caps have been more or less friendly to Canadians than the other MLS teams.

From the short interview with MDS yesterday, the Caps will be announcing a number of new signings imminently. Without a doubt, MDS is not finished building the senior squad.  I know he's got his eyes on the young Canadians, but his first goal is building a championship team.  There will be Canadians on the field this year, but no one should expect to see more than two or three on the field at any given time. We'll see how the rest of the roster shapes up, but I'd expect Henry and one of DeJong or Levis to see a lot of time. Tiebert should get in there a fair bit, but he has competition. Cornelius will get games, for sure.  But the rest of the young guys will need to fight hard for minutes, with most not making the game-day roster. 

15 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Kolbeinn Sigthorsson

Probably not the prolific goal scorer we are hoping for. Might not be primarily what MDS see's in the striker if the squad is chipping in. Good age though. 

Some irony transfermarkt lists Octavio Rivero as a comparable player ? 

16 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

According to wikipedia:

Kolbeinn declined a move to IFK Gothenburg in the 2018 January transfer window over fears the artificial pitches in Sweden could cause more impact damage to his knee

Doesn't sound like playing in Vancouver would be a good fit.

Most teams in MLS play on grass. Still, home games are pretty darn important.

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This article gives the Sigthorsson story, and links if you scroll down to the Venuto signing, and the rumour of a young Tunisian centre back, Benzaza.

Nothing to get really wild about, and certainly, until now, not a single real draw for fans. 

Under promise and hopefully over delilver in MDS's first season.

Archived