Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

2 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Has there been a roster overhaul of this magnitude in MLS history?  Only 5 players remaining who played more than 1000 minutes in 2018.

Crazy, right? MDJ was the second longest serving Cap still left after Teibert. The term "complete overhaul" gets overused but I think it understates what's happening in Vancouver. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Dont see it mentioned here but word about town Fredy Montero on his way back. Did very well for us 2 seasons ago

Wouldn't be the worst providing he isn't a DP and we sign a DP striker. 

Didn't set the world alight in Portugal and is clocking on now. TBH I would have preferred to keep Kamara. 

Not turning my nose up though if he came back as he did well. 

He's actually really highly regarded at Sporting. It was his second go around with the team. Especially considering the style of play this year ill take Montero (31)over Kamara (34) any day of the week. Im pretty sure Montero would be a dp. Whatever that means with all the tam and gwam being thrown around

I would be 100% happy with Montero coming back. He proved he could score in the MLS. He had great chemistry with Reyna. And he did all this under Robbo, which really didn’t seem to suit him. Montero is a poor mans Firmino, de does so much more than just score. That being said, under MDS i think Montero could reach 15 for us, which is pretty prolific in MLS terms. 

Vancouver Whitecaps FC sign Uruguayan forward Joaquin Ardaiz as Young DP

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday they have acquired forward Joaquin Ardaiz as a young Designated Player, on a year-long loan, with an option to purchase, from Swiss second-division club FC Chiasso.

Ardaiz, 20, is a Uruguayan U-20 international and joins after a recent stint in Serie A.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/08/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-sign-uruguayan-forward-joaquin-ardaiz-young-dp

Vancouver Whitecaps FC sign Argentine defender Erik Godoy

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday they have signed defender Erik Godoy, on a one-year loan with a purchase option from Club Atletico Colon. The signing was done using Targeted Allocation Money.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/08/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-sign-argentine-defender-erik-godoy

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Both look like great signings. Ardaiz looks like a potential coup. Interesting he left Europe for MLS. Looked like he was on a decent career path. 

If Ruiz and Montero come in too ?? .   Probably just the one.. but ya never know.

From what I've read, the Caps are indeed looking for a more seasoned forward, and Montero would be a great fit. His work rate is remarkable and he will fit in well with MDS's game plan.

The Ruiz rumour is a bit of a headscratcher, only in so much as the squad seems very deep in that role. But I would not complain to have his experience and skill on this team. It makes for a very strong midfield, especially down the centre, something the Caps have not really had for many seasons.

The team remains very young, but with plenty of upside. This is a squad that is being built for a big playoff run NEXT year, and the year after. Having said that, I am excited to see this group grow under MDS. Hell, I am even going to watch their first pre-season game tonight!

46 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

The Ruiz rumour is a bit of a headscratcher, only in so much as the squad seems very deep in that role.

I would argue maybe not. MDS sees Reyna as a winger and really there is only Colyn that is a natural 10 or attacking mid. The central midfield is staked but all the others predominantly play deeper don't they? Montero can flip flop between a support striker or target man.

I read some rumblings that maybe Teibert might be the next casualty of the MDS cull. Seems shocking on the outset but they are stacked with Rose, Hwang, Felipe, Norman Jnr, Baldisimo and Erice all vying for likely two spots. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I would argue maybe not. MDS sees Reyna as a winger and really there is only Colyn that is a natural 10 or attacking mid. The central midfield is staked but all the others predominantly play deeper don't they? Montero can flip flop between a support striker or target man.

I read some rumblings that maybe Teibert might be the next casualty of the MDS cull. Seems shocking on the outset but they are stacked with Rose, Hwang, Felipe, Norman Jnr, Baldisimo and Erice all vying for likely two spots. 

Hard to say about Rusty's future.  He's essentially a high work rate role player and as long as a younger (cheaper) domestic option clearly remains behind him on the depth chart, he'll be here, unless another unless MLS team trades for his services during the season.  With the Canadian youth on this roster, I'm hopeful that some might rise up the depth chart but I'm not convinced that that will happen as much as some wish, even in this big rebuild season.  Much like the senior squad, MDS and his coaching staff have inherited these young guys (they were signed to the senior squad in consultation with the deposed coaching regime).  I'll bet that a touted guy or two might not be seen by MDS as a player who fits  his vision/plan long term and might end up being moved on.  However, we might see other young guys emerge and find their way into MDS's picture.

I'd love it if each of these new (or relatively new) faces, international down to Cancon youngies, hits pay dirt but there are going to be duds, too.  Hopefully, it's is a very small number.  If this team proves to be hard to beat, game in and game out, it'll set a good foundation going forward.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Fair point wrt Ruiz.

And I have the same concern about Teibert. If he is moved out, I hope he can land with another MLS squad.  I think he has the chops to contribute at this level.

Dos Santos as usual with a 4-3-3 and zonal defending on set plays..and opponent scored on a corner..players arent ready for that yet

Bangoura good on the first action but weak execution or decision making after that..but should be one of the top offensive players of the team

PC not good enough as a winger at mls level and Levis not convincing at lb..will be a battle between them for lb

2nd half not interesting..a number of players who are not even close to being ready

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Dos Santos as usual with a 4-3-3 and zonal defending on set plays..and opponent scored on a corner..players arent ready for that yet

Bangoura good on the first action but weak execution or decision making after that..but should be one of the top offensive players of the team

PC not good enough as a winger at mls level and Levis not convincing at lb..will be a battle between them for lb

2nd half not interesting..a number of players who are not even close to being ready

Zonal marking was poor, but it takes a while to set that up so it’s understandable in the first preseason game.

I thought Levis was good this game. Tracking back well, no one got by him. Some typical good play out of the back. He looked much better than Nerwinski this game. 

Second half was hard to watch. Colyn looked good as did Norman Jr.

What I don’t understand is how Escobar is with the Caps. The guy was atrocious at LB. 

I wouldn't read too much either way into a first exhibition game, especially the second half.  The young guy at LB had a rough one, for sure, but there's no need to sh*t on him.  It was a tough experience but very possibly a valuable one because this coaching staff may be able to turn this into a great teachable moment. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what the South Korean brings to the table in midfield.

Go down with two losses in the pacific rim tournament. It's very clear there needs to be wholesale changes here, trade the lot of them. ?

• Always a good trip and exercise to start the year. IMO and the experience will be good for the young-uns that saw serious game time. 
  • Looking forwards to seeing over half a new team to add into the squad for LA. 
  • Like the first game, most players pressed well in the first half. We didn't create a whole lot but the Japanese also played tight and pressed. Obviously this team was also missing a lot of creative spark. 
  • Though Levis did well, but I am biased. Lass looked tidy and Reyna worked hard, he just isn't a front man and some of his runs showed that. 
  • Out of the two Keepers Crepeau looked more assured today imo. Interested to see who starts come season kick off. 
  • Central defence was fine. Henry was more problematic up top with a couple of headed chances he should have done far better with. Anywhere but on goal. 

This game pretty much like the last one. Reyna was the obvious standout in the first half. Good darting runs, and creating all over the pitch. The Caps lost a bit when Bair came in in the second half.

Right now, Cornelius looking like the best CB in Vancouver right now, although 2 more still to come of course. He is calm, can play with the ball, and I haven’t really seen a mistake yet. I even saw him take a couple steps forward into midfield to trap a player, and he always did it at the right moment.

At half time I was going to comment on how Max Crepeau needed to get better at playing with the ball at his feet. But in the second half Macmath gave the ball away brutally at least twice so maybe Crepeau is better than I thought. 

And lastly, I don’t mean to be hard on Escobar again. But what is he doing with his foot at head hight in his own box?

I found that Erice was a good Defensive Mid. He is a strong tackler, and a decent passer. Better than Ghazal due to his better passing ability. And I am unsure about Rose. Luckily I think In-Beom will be the starter in place of Rose. So I don’t think we should be considering Rose as a starting player. Our midfield did look rather bland, but remember the whole team really hasn’t played with each other at all, so it is totally understandable.

I too think Tiebert would be very good in MDS ‘s system. He may have to work on his quick short passes though. He would have to win a spot from either Filipe or Erice though, so it is likely he will be a depth player again. 

Bair doesn’t look totally ready, but he really is just a replacement for Hurtado so not big shoes to fill. He already holds the ball up better than Hurtado did. He needs to work on his off true ball movement and finishing though.

Archived