Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

On 12/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, The Beaver said:

From what I can tell, MDS has taken care of the workaday foundation of the team and will now go abroad to sign the higher quality talent the team needs.  What is exciting to see is that he has a very clear idea of the sort of player he is looking for, both in terms of technical ability and temperament. Time will tell, but I get the feeling the Caps will have a very clear identity under MDS, something that was not always the case under Robbo. (Yeah, for a period of time we were a countering side, but it was often naïve and too one-dimensional.)

Excited to see who MDS signs. We need some top talent, and we have the cash to do so.  From things he has said, I expect MDS to bring in a number of players from south east Asia. Should be an interesting off season. I like what I am seeing so far. 

It's starting to look like we're going to be the de facto second expansion team alongside Cincinnati next year, it's that dramatic of a housecleaning.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nolando said:

It's starting to look like we're going to be the de facto second expansion team alongside Cincinnati next year, it's that dramatic of a housecleaning.

It would be a good pool to play involving which Robbo holdovers remain on the roster for opening day of 2020.

Loving the outgoings so far (Kamara excluded and obvs keeping waston would have been great but only if he wanted to be here).

Not in the least excited by any of the incomings but excited to see the bigger picture develop.

Some serious money and room to revamp the squad now. 

Juarez is next out the door.

19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Loving the outgoings so far (Kamara excluded and obvs keeping waston would have been great but only if he wanted to be here).

Not in the least excited by any of the incomings but excited to see the bigger picture develop.

Some serious money and room to revamp the squad now. 

Juarez is next out the door.

I'm looking forward to seeing whom they bring in as a foundational CB, as well as the CB depth.. 

4 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm looking forward to seeing whom they bring in as a foundational CB, as well as the CB depth.. 

Other than goal there isn't a position that doesn't need new players.

Its fifa/champ manager dream territory getting start from scratch with a decent amount of money. It's going to be a clusterfuck at the start of the season trying to get everyone to gel. Hang on for the ride!

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It would be a good pool to play involving which Robbo holdovers remain on the roster for opening day of 2020.

Without cheating and looking it up, now that Hurtado is gone, can anyone answer this one off the top of their head:

After Teibert, who is the next longest serving/surviving senior team Whitecap?

2019 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of December 14, 2018:

FORWARDS:

• Bair, Theo
  • Blondell, Anthony

MIDFIELDERS:

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Felipe
  • Juarez, Efrain
  • Norman Jr., David
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell

DEFENDERS:

• de Jong, Marcel
  • Giro, Victor “PC”
  • Henry, Doneil
  • Levis, Brett
  • Nerwinski, Jake

GOALKEEPERS:

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • MacMath, Zac
  • Melvin, Sean

All I have to say is temper your expectations. The Caps will be fighting for a playoff spot this year, but I think that is it. It is incredibly difficult to find all the long term players you need in one off season. they will probably play half the season at least not at full capacity of TAM or DP players. It is also likely we see some short term fix, 1 year deals. 

Honestly i am really looking forward to what MDS has come into. Very much like building an expansion team, which he has done many times. I hope Colyn, Bair, and Baldisimo get some chances with the team still in rebuilding mode.

6 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

All I have to say is temper your expectations. The Caps will be fighting for a playoff spot this year, but I think that is it. It is incredibly difficult to find all the long term players you need in one off season. they will probably play half the season at least not at full capacity of TAM or DP players. It is also likely we see some short term fix, 1 year deals. 

Honestly i am really looking forward to what MDS has come into. Very much like building an expansion team, which he has done many times. I hope Colyn, Bair, and Baldisimo get some chances with the team still in rebuilding mode.

I am of the opinion that they know they need to sign 3-4 bombshell players in the January window, or else they'll be crucified for pocketing and not spending the Davies transfer. Which I thought would not come through until Jan 1 as is. No one expects them to spend everything now, but there definitely has to be something big when the window opens up. 

What we are seeing, I believe and of course may be wrong, is the journeyman base structure of the team, with just a couple strong pieces mixed in (Reyna). 

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am of the opinion that they know they need to sign 3-4 bombshell players in the January window, or else they'll be crucified for pocketing and not spending the Davies transfer. Which I thought would not come through until Jan 1 as is. No one expects them to spend everything now, but there definitely has to be something big when the window opens up. 

What we are seeing, I believe and of course may be wrong, is the journeyman base structure of the team, with just a couple strong pieces mixed in (Reyna). 

Agreed. Very few players of true starter quality. Their GK position is fairly solid. Reyna, Henry, Tiebert, Filipe, Levis/de jong are pretty solid starters in the league. Aside from those players, they need a lot of good quality. Specifically, one strong player in each of F, CM, and CB.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They might have a couple of those bombshell signings in January, but also some more in July, for a number of reasons.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see some more incumbent guys be gone by the start of next season. 

13 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Agreed. Very few players of true starter quality. Their GK position is fairly solid. Reyna, Henry, Tiebert, Filipe, Levis/de jong are pretty solid starters in the league. Aside from those players, they need a lot of good quality. Specifically, one strong player in each of F, CM, and CB.

I can't judge the keepers at all, no idea. Why do people think they are solid?

As for the rest, agreed, though I would add a couple outside attackers as well. In the end, if you look at last year's squad, in principle having an attacker like Shea who could also play back gave us versatility. I know folks think he was overpaid, but we need that kind of player regardless. 

Ya, wingers are important as well, I can’t remember the formation MDS prefers.

I agree that it is hard to judge the keepers. But, Macmath has looked very good in the games he has played, and really should have been the starter in Colorado from what i could tell. As well, we know Crepeau is the best the USL has to offer. Personally I am ok risking it with these 3 youngish keepers and hoping they push each other for the job. At least we know that they are decent enough, especially for the transfer price and salary. They might not be a long term solution, but you can always bring in a keeper later. Worth the minimal risk.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just to update a bit, after Hurtado was traded to SKC after six years with the club, he spoke glowingly of the city, fans and club: 

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/erik-hurtado-sad-to-leave-the-whitecaps-but-ready-for-kansas-city-challenge

No word on any new signings after MacMath, Crepeau, PC and Rose.

I presume we will hear of new (exciting?) signings over the next few weeks, no? (When does training camp open? February? Sooner?)

Excited to see how this roster shapes up. 

Happy New Year to all the Vees!

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Whitecaps FC acquire Canadian international centre back Derek Cornelius from Serbian club FK Javor Ivanjica

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/01/18/whitecaps-fc-acquire-derek-cornelius

I like this from a number of angles. Not sure this solves our CB needs on its own--it doesn't--but it is certainly an appealing part of the solution.  

And I know this won't happen, but I'd love to see MAK join the Caps too.  For strategic reasons it is best that he stay in LA, but it is important that the Caps put some exciting young Canadians on the field too.  

For those in the know, how would you compare the quality of Serbia's league to that of MLS?

Archived