Vancouver Whitecaps offseason 2018-2019

Big_M

3 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I found that Erice was a good Defensive Mid. He is a strong tackler, and a decent passer. Better than Ghazal due to his better passing ability. And I am unsure about Rose. Luckily I think In-Beom will be the starter in place of Rose. So I don’t think we should be considering Rose as a starting player. Our midfield did look rather bland, but remember the whole team really hasn’t played with each other at all, so it is totally understandable.

I too think Tiebert would be very good in MDS ‘s system. He may have to work on his quick short passes though. He would have to win a spot from either Filipe or Erice though, so it is likely he will be a depth player again. 

Bair doesn’t look totally ready, but he really is just a replacement for Hurtado so not big shoes to fill. He already holds the ball up better than Hurtado did. He needs to work on his off true ball movement and finishing though.

The midfield was starting to click as the first half wore on, which gives me hope. Lots of new guys still to add, all of them likely starters, so I will continue to reserve judgement for quite a while longer.  It is going to take time for this team to gel, and it will likely take a bit longer considering how many new faces there are AND the fact they are learning MDS's system. But some of the neat, short passing looked promising, and if the new guys can raise the levels a couple more notches, then this could be a fun team to watch. But I get the strong sense the team will not really be ready for the opener. I feel MDS needs another two weeks on top of what he has to get everyone integrated and start building chemistry.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, The Beaver said:

The midfield was starting to click as the first half wore on, which gives me hope. Lots of new guys still to add, all of them likely starters, so I will continue to reserve judgement for quite a while longer.  It is going to take time for this team to gel, and it will likely take a bit longer considering how many new faces there are AND the fact they are learning MDS's system. But some of the neat, short passing looked promising, and if the new guys can raise the levels a couple more notches, then this could be a fun team to watch. But I get the strong sense the team will not really be ready for the opener.

I feel like all three Canadian MLS teams, Vancouver especially, will be rough off the top still working out chemistry with all the significant moves on the off season. Really, when you look at the whole picture, Ottawa and all the CanPL teams can also be lumped in to say there is hardly a Canadian pro side properly prepared for this season as of this date in February. Some with better excuses than others, of course.

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Looks like Montero to Whitecaps is near completion, MLSsoccer.com reporting that deal is close to being done and Transfermarkt showing him without a club as of today.  I've always liked Montero from his time with Seattle.

Yes, he has officially parted ways with Sporting.  This would be an important acquisition for a very young and unproven Caps side.  He will bring experience and leadership and soccer smarts and true professionalism, a model for all the young guys, and a proven goal-scorer. 

Has anybody heard more about the idea of the Caps signing Ruiz? Or is that dead?  He's another guy who'd bring instant quality and leadership.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived