TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be shocked if whoever was steering this cost-cutting ship at MLSE actually understood soccer.

I think when Bez or the other management say cost cutting, they mean not having 3 of the top 7 salaries in the league and outspending the number 2 team in the league by 5-6 million a year.  They can cut spending (relatively) and still get a decent striker.  Free kick is exactly right, they did spend a lot before and never got a decent player.  But all of the big three were on ridiculous salaries.  There is no way Gio should have gotten a raise at 32 with diminishing returns.  If he can get a sheik to pay him 11mil, well go fill your boots eh?  Hopefully they can bring in a good youngish striker without having to pay him a salary north of 2-4million. You probably cant replace Gio (most DP's suck so they really hit a homerun there) but bring in someone like a younger Altidore, who works hard and gets you a dozen goals and I'll be happy.  I dont think Boyd is it though.  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I think when Bez or the other management say cost cutting, they mean not having 3 of the top 7 salaries in the league and outspending the number 2 team in the league by 5-6 million a year.  They can cut spending (relatively) and still get a decent striker.  Free kick is exactly right, they did spend a lot before and never got a decent player.  But all of the big three were on ridiculous salaries.  There is no way Gio should have gotten a raise at 32 with diminishing returns.  If he can get a sheik to pay him 11mil, well go fill your boots eh?  Hopefully they can bring in a good youngish striker without having to pay him a salary north of 2-4million. You probably cant replace Gio (most DP's suck so they really hit a homerun there) but bring in someone like a younger Altidore, who works hard and gets you a dozen goals and I'll be happy.  I dont think Boyd is it though.  

Fair enough. 

You know, of the 3 DPs, Seba was the highest paid and least likely to extend on a TAM contract. Now that he's been forced out, Altidore and Bradley can more easily be dealt with. Neither of them are going to get paid Seba bucks in the middle east, China or Europe, and with the prescedent set, I think it will be easier for the club to get the two Americans on TAM money - because if they let Seba go, they'll do the same to Bradley and Altidore.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's a relief. I like this player, but I would be against using a DP spot for him.

If he's a VV TAM replacement and we still get this "in prime" DP, things are suddenly looking much better. Just a few depth guys needed at that point. 

12 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Giovinco's move had nothing to do with Toronto and everything to do with the fact he was offered a ridiculously inflated contracted by the Saudi club. It's as simple as that.

Given that the Saudi team was willing to pay him that much I would have hoped that TFC could have negotiated a ridiculously inflated transfer fee.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Almiron is on his way to Newcastle announced today as well, for a much larger fee but then a much younger player not near the end of his contract. That's quite the day for MLS selling star players!

That’s old news isn’t it?  Wasn’t this announced several weeks ago?

Just now, Bdog said:

If he's a VV TAM replacement and we still get this "in prime" DP, things are suddenly looking much better. Just a few depth guys needed at that point. 

Yup for sure.

If in the end we lose VV, VDW, Seba, Janson and Hauggland, but pick up Ciman, Boyd, Hanni and very good DP in his prime, I would be able so stomach it all.

1 minute ago, Norrin Radd said:

Given that the Saudi team was willing to pay him that much I would have hoped that TFC could have negotiated a ridiculously inflated transfer fee.

Yup, me too. 

I honestly wonder if TFC would have been better off letting Seba leave on a free, or selling him after Champions League. It'll all depend on who his replacement is, I guess.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yup, me too. 

I honestly wonder if TFC would have been better off letting Seba leave on a free, or selling him after Champions League. It'll all depend on who his replacement is, I guess.

I don't see how letting go on a free is better than getting a few million. The realitiy is he is getting older and there was significant decline last season. I don't see how that would improve this season.

Best offload the player, get some money and get a younger player.

If anything this is exactly how the MLS should be operating.

With Gio visiting the middle east, coming up lame in practice etc it hurt TFC bargaining power.  If the sheik can overpay by a mil or two in wages, you'd think we could have gotten a mil or two more in transfer.  But when Gio/agent are forcing TFC's hand what are you going to do?  The trouble with a ew guy is that so many DP's are busts.  Its not easy to bring in someone (no matter what you are spending) and get someone motivated that will mesh with the MLS game.  If Altidore is healthy he is still one of the better strikers in the league so we dont have to bring in a Rooney/Ibra/villa etc.  And like Obinna said, this will make it easier to extend Altidore and Bradley (on less money/cross your fingers).  

41 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't see how letting go on a free is better than getting a few million. The realitiy is he is getting older and there was significant decline last season. I don't see how that would improve this season.

It wouldn't make sense if you are just considering money, but it would arguably give Toronto a much better shot at winning CCL. 

On the plus side, perhaps it's better to start the season fresh and not have the contract stuff looming.

At any rate, was just wondering. We'll see how it'll go now without him. What's done is done.

56 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said.  Also, it would find it very difficult to justify matching that reported offer if that 10 mill is correct for the reasons you mentioned.  

But it doesn’t change the massive crater in the roster that this departure represents.   If they agree to spend on the next guy what they did for Giovinco when they signed him,  then maybe there is glimmer of hope.   But I’m not holding my breath.  They were lucky to end up with Giovinco as I alluded to earlier in other posts and they got arguably more than what they paid for.

if they decide to spend 5mil a year for next DP instead of the 7mill a year they gave Giovinco,  then what they will have is a $5mill DP.  And,  there have been others in the league of that value.  Including some who have never delivered a trophy.  That’s the frustrating part.  After watching TFC signing of the past, I tend to view it like buying a lottery,  after ten years they hit the jackpot with the Giovinco signing.  Before that they got a few free tickets but not much else. 

I guess the replacement DP wont be coming from the EPL as he transfer window closes very soon. 

The Algerian AM would be a perfect VV replacement. I heard his salary is 1.5 mill at the moment so he could be a TAM player. 

Gio replacement=5 mill?

VV replacement=1.5 mill?

GVD replacement= 800k? Could use it on another position because I like Auro to start. 

Money from Hagglund? 500k? 

Since the MLS rules are a mess, does it really matter how much of a transfer fee we get for Giovinco?  It's MLSE's money and if they have decided that they are only going to pay X amount on their next DP, getting 3 million or 5 million for Giovinco isn't likely going to change that number.  If you think it is, you haven't been following MLSE close enough.

The bigger issue here is the DP slot and who comes into replace Giovinco.  The impact of the DP's salary on the salary cap is the same whether you are paying them 3 milllion or 10 million.  Howver, if Giovinco wanted to tie up a DP slot until he was 36-37 though, that may not have been a good idea and I could see TFC balking at that.

If the player they bring in is worse, then the team is not going to be a better position and we could be looking at a long season when Altidore inevitably gets injured.

Made the best of a crappy situation. Boyd doesn’t inspire much confidence.  Need to spend some of the departed salaries and soon.  Flaming out of the CCL and being shit in MLS is a recipe to become totally insignificant in the TO sports landscape and they will be hard pressed to find someone with Gio’s appeal to the masses. Ali and Manning need to get something done that is significant.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a relief. I like this player, but I would be against using a DP spot for him.

That cant be the guy they have in mind for DP.   Just heard Manning on the radio and he stated that it would be a player that soccer fans (he may have even used casual soccer fan) would be familar with.  Usually that will mean someone who is an international and played at the World Cup and/or would have played on side that is not a long shot.   And/or played in one of the big three or four leagues (one whose games are televised in Canada) in europe and not for a typical relegation bound side.  Unless its an american or a mexican.   

An algerian player from the Russian league would not fit that description.  

Gregory Vander Weil has greater name recognition,  than the player thats being alluded to here.  And he was acquired with TAM money. 

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I guess the replacement DP wont be coming from the EPL as he transfer window closes very soon. 

The only transfer window that matters to TFC in this case is the Canadian one, which doesn't even open until Feb. 13.

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

That's a mere 6 days before the first CCL game in Panama though....

They can sign players ahead of the window opening, but they won't be officially registered (ie. won't be able to play official games) until Feb. 13.

Archived