TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

Guys calm down, a replacement is on the way.

So far they have brought in Ciman to replace Hagglund and Boyd to replace Ricketts lets see what they bring in to replace Giovinco and VV. KJ on twitter said they have lined up a replacement from a really good club who is in his prime. Sturridge? Javier Hernandez? Someone like that would be awesome.

I think they will replace VV with a winger and change formations. 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

So far they have brought in Ciman to replace Hagglund and Boyd to replace Ricketts lets see what they bring in to replace Giovinco and VV. KJ on twitter said they have lined up a replacement from a really good club who is in his prime. Sturridge? Javier Hernandez? Someone like that would be awesome.

He didn't say really good club but "in his prime". I'm hoping it is a player like those two or Nani (but probably not because he doesn't fit the description), could be Hanni like mentioned above though. 

Boyd who???  Is this more than a rumor at this point?? A few days ago you were talking like Jansen was still around, is that rumor dead now too?  You have a lot of faith on twitter rumors.  To me this looks more like rats leaving a sinking ship.  Altidore and Bradley can carry a load but the roster doesnt look all that formidable (worse by the day).  

Does anyone know who this Jesus west is, he was in the lineup today??  And I see we played two trialist keepers today, Klenofsky (DC/Hapoel) and Charlie Lyon (Orange county and LAFC).  Might as well have called in some CDN boys if your looking at former 3rd round superdraft picks that are bouncing around USL and second div Isreal.  

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Boyd who???  Is this more than a rumor at this point??

Terrence Boyd. Was doing great at Rapid Vienna for a while then got injured. American fans were calling for him as their striker over Altidore at the time. Seems to be confirmed now. And reported new DP incoming!

Sorry, i know who Terrance Boyd is, I was just hoping they meant someone else (maybe Kris boyd..he's scored a bunch of goals for Kilmarnock 5 years ago)). I remember T. Boyd had a good season 5 years ago.....tundering Jeesuz mari and Joseph!!!! 

49 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Lucas Cavallini

32 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

They are selling high on a lot of these guys, no matter how painful it may be. 

Selling your franchise player for $3 million is definitely not "selling high".  That is pocket change in world football terms - a player as valuable as Giovinco was to this franchise should have got us more, even if he was in a contract year.  

I'm a little annoyed at Giovinco too.  When is enough, enough?  You were the star on the team and made more than anyone else - more than players like Villa, Kaka, Ibrahimovic, Drogba.. the guy was living the life and looking for a bump up while other teammates couldn't get a raise even if they wanted to.  Just look at the hoops Osorio had to jump through to get paid.  It does set a dangerous precedent to have a guy around like that, while good he isn't getting any better and giving him a pay bump would be a mistake.

7 hours ago, gator said:

Unless the club brings in another big name DP to replace him I think many of the TFC fanbase will be losing some of their enthusiasm, I always felt Seba alone was worth the price of admission!

This. Sometimes it wasn’t about the numbers he put up, it was about the way he scored and the show he put on. They could bring in a younger, better player who tears up the league, but without that flare I probably wouldn’t be half as interested.

Somehow I don’t think TFC understood what they had with the core they are hellbent on breaking up over a few million dollars, which they’ll spend anyways on replacements.

This is not replacing Defoe after 1 season, this is replacing clubs all time leading scorer and best player ever after 4 years, and that’s not even considering VV. 

Unless they bring in someone who is absolutely world class, good luck winning the fans over, after breaking up their team and lying to them repeatedly.

It feels like a gross miscalculation.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

So TFC are in fact insane. Got it!

Hello Cavalry FC

I dont get how TFC are insane? Would you have paid Giovinco 8 mill a season for 3 years?

Lets see what Curtis can do with the money. They will probably spend 5 mill a season on a new DP. They also have 3 mill? To spend in TAM money. You could use that on three decent players (AM, Striker, RB)

14 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I dont get how TFC are insane? Would you have paid Giovinco 8 mill a season for 3 years?

Lets see what Curtis can do with the money. They will probably spend 5 mill a season on a new DP. They also have 3 mill? To spend in TAM money. You could use that on three decent players (AM, Striker, RB)

The club should have extended all 3 DPs and used the TAM from VV and VDW to get younger. 

Now Seba has echoed VDW by saying the club does not care enough about winning. 

I am trying to reserve judgement until they bring in new players, but you know what they say: once bitten, twice shy.

Its not like spending that sort of money is a guarantee that you will get a high impact player like Gio.  If it were, every DP would be a home run for their team.  But they aren't because there is a lot more to getting an effective player than splashing a bit of cash.

Maybe Gio was asking too much - but there is no doubt whatsoever that he will leave a big whole in the side, and take a significant pile of goals that will have to be replaced. 

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Its not like spending that sort of money is a guarantee that you will get a high impact player like Gio.  If it were, every DP would be a home run for their team.  But they aren't because there is a lot more to getting an effective player than splashing a bit of cash.

Maybe Gio was asking too much - but there is no doubt whatsoever that he will leave a big whole in the side, and take a significant pile of goals that will have to be replaced. 

He says he would have accepted less to stay, but they apparently offered him $2.5M, which is a slap in the face.

@Mikmacdo another thing to consider is the negative atmosphere they've created. If not with the players, then undoubtedly the fans.

When Seba came in, the club already had turned the corner. However, his replacement will come in under much more difficult circumstances, as will the other new players. Even if the new players should be upgrades, can they perform with this black cloud hanging over the club?

I already feel bad for Terrance Boyd. He'll surely be the new whipping boy if he doesn't perform.

"Yeah...sure we sold Giovinco....but look who we brought in....TERRANCE BOYD"!

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He says he would have accepted less to stay, but they apparently offered him $2.5M, which is a slap in the face.

I assume he means less than the $10 million a year he will be getting in Saudi Arabia. He certainly isn't worth $8 million a year, especially for TFC to set a precedent. Hopefully they can get a young up and comer like Atlanta has done with Almiron

6 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I assume he means less than the $10 million a year he will be getting in Saudi Arabia. He certainly isn't worth $8 million a year, especially for TFC to set a precedent. Hopefully they can get a young up and comer like Atlanta has done with Almiron

TFC said they made an offer that would make him a top five paid player in MLS which is 5 million plus. 

48 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

He probably meant he'd accept less than he was currently making, but we'll probably never know for sure.

I would prefer they bring in someone more established than Almiron, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't want TFC to become revolving door like Atlanta, selling your big stars after two years. I don't particularly get off on the ego trip of having our players sign for Newcastle or some other "big club".

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

TFC said they made an offer that would make him a top five paid player in MLS which is 5 million plus. 

They also said Giovinco left training camp because of "leg tightness".

I no longer take what this club says at face value.

Anyhow, I heard it was 2.5M. Can't recall where on the internet I read that, but the point I made in an online discussion was: I understand the club starting negotiations with a lowball offer. It's logical that they do so.

They clearly overplayed their hand though.

Good luck with your new club Seba.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yes.  This is similar to a point I made earlier.  There seems to be a misconception that TFC never spent before the Giovinco era.  But they did spend.  It’s just that they never got the same value in return and they never allow the chemistry to form.   I don’t know that you can replace what Giovinco brings given the Constraints of MLS.  

Archived