TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Jack Dodd, director of scouting operations, plays a key role in identifying new players for the club, including designated players.

Since they knew Seba's departure was a possibility, Jack probably already had his top options for a new DP ready to go for Ali Curtis.

That's what I meant when I said the homework has already been done. Not by Curtis, but Jack Dodd.

It's not just about identifying the players that they might want. The international transfer market isn't like the local, Chinese smorgasbord. There are a lot of moving parts that have to fall in line before a transfer can go through.

For example, Liverpool had scouted and identified Virgil Van Dijk and Naby Keita as their top transfer targets for the summer of 2017. Despite having financial muscle that dwarfs TFC's by a factor of 10, or more, they were unable to secure their targets until winter and summer 2018, respectively. Barcelona identified Coutinho and Dembele as preferred long-term targets, but then found themselves in a tough spot once PSG triggered Neymar's buy-out clause. Even Barca, one of the world's 2-3 biggest heavyweights in the transfer market were forced to pay over the odds for both players, and had to wait for the next transfer window for their main target.

So, if Liverpool and Barca can't have it all their own way when picking players, what makes you so confident that TFC can simply activate Plan B now that Giovinco has gone and grab whatever player they want with only 2 weeks notice?

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's not just about identifying the players that they might want. The international transfer market isn't like the local, Chinese smorgasbord. There are a lot of moving parts that have to fall in line before a transfer can go through.

For example, Liverpool had scouted and identified Virgil Van Dijk and Naby Keita as their top transfer targets for the summer of 2017. Despite having financial muscle that dwarfs TFC's by a factor of 10, or more, they were unable to secure their targets until winter and summer 2018, respectively. Barcelona identified Coutinho and Dembele as preferred long-term targets, but then found themselves in a tough spot once PSG triggered Neymar's buy-out clause. Even Barca, one of the world's 2-3 biggest heavyweights in the transfer market were forced to pay over the odds for both players, and had to wait for the next transfer window for their main target.

So, if Liverpool and Barca can't have it all their own way when picking players, what makes you so confident that TFC can simply activate Plan B now that Giovinco has gone and grab whatever player they want with only 2 weeks notice?

Because TFC aren't going to be chasing a Coutinho or Dembele. Those are some of the best players in the world, of course things are going to be complicated. 

I'm not saying it's going to be easy. Sometimes your plan doesn't work, but at least they have a plan (again, or so they say).

For example, the club had identified VV before he had gone to Mexico. At the time, the only possibility was to bring him in as a DP, but of course that didn't happen since all the spots were filled.

Guess what? Circumstances change. VV went to Mexico, had a terrible time, and TFC took advantage and brought him in as a TAM.

I would bet that whomever they bring in as a DP (very shortly) will be someone they've had their eye on for a while now.

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Surely they have a list of interesting prospects. However now it comes down to te actual negotiations with both club and player, and that can be quite the pickle (especially knowing how much TFC spent on Gio, any club will want to scrape the barrel). 

Certainly. That's why we have to wait a few weeks for it to get done.

I doubt we'll be waiting until summer though. Nor should we.

11 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

What if the team doesn’t want to let the player go until the summer window?

Heres a name that kind of fits what people have been saying about the DP. 

Isaac Success 23 years old left winger from Watford. 3 goals this year which is more than what Jozy did in about three years in the EPL. His price tag is 6 mill euros on transfer market. 

Then you move on to your next best option. Simple.

As for Isaac Success, I would be very disappointed if that's the DP replacement for Giovinco - and I am a Super Eagles fan.

18 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

You dont think he would light up the MLS? 

I don't think he's DP worthy. At least not for a club like Toronto. Maybe on TAM.

Altidore and Bradley required the DP spot because of the "American premium". It was the same for Bedoya at Philly.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think he's DP worthy. At least not for a club like Toronto. Maybe on TAM.

Altidore and Bradley required the DP spot because of the "American premium". It was the same for Bedoya at Philly.

I wonder if they are looking for the next BWP, maybe a guy in the championship who couldn’t cut it in the EPL. 

26 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I wonder if they are looking for the next BWP, maybe a guy in the championship who couldn’t cut it in the EPL. 

Perhaps. 

Although, if I had to guess I would say Argentina, Brazil, or Belgium.

Argentina and Brazil provide some great bargains. Janson and Auro both came from there, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Similarly, Belgium also provides good value, and with VV and Hanni, we know TFC scout players who've done well there. Ciman and Mavinga also have played there, but that's of lesser importance. 

While we are speculating, I am going to throw out a name: Jesus Corona.

25 year old Mexican international winger. Plays for Porto where he's made over 100 Liga NOS appearances, scoring close to 20 goals if I recall correctly.

Vanney said he wants to play with wide players, and says TFC won't necessarily replace Seba with a like-for-like.

Corona has been made to play some wingback recently, I think, and perhaps he would want out, especially if TFC can double his salary. No idea how long his contract is for, but he's cooled off since starting his Porto career on a tear. His first few games he was scoring at a Jonathan David level pace - and not 2019 David, I mean 2018 David. I think Corona had something like 12 goals in his first 17 games. Now, he is only an occasional starter and like I said, has maybe been shifted to wing back on occasion - so Porto may be willing to cut him lose at the right price.

Just pure speculation. He would fit the description though. In his prime, name recognition, attacker....

Edit: it was 8 goals in 28 games his first season, though I distinctly remember he scored almost all of them in this first half of the season.

All would be forgiven if:

------------------Bono---------------

Auro---Ciman---Mainga---Morrow

-----------------Bradley---------------

------------Hanni----Osorio--------

Corona-----------------------Menendez

-----------------Altidore------------------

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

All would be forgiven if:

------------------Bono---------------

Auro---Ciman---Mainga---Morrow

-----------------Bradley---------------

------------Hanni----Osorio--------

Corona-----------------------Menendez

-----------------Altidore------------------

What will they do with the number one allocation spot? 

12 minutes ago, One American said:

If you have to explain who the player is, then it's doubtful he passes the "familiar to fans" test.

If I can remember correctly both 'young' and 'a player that has played in multiple of the big leagues and that would be pretty well known to soccer fans' has been used to describe the player they are looking at. I'm highly skeptical an MLS team could get a player that fits both those categories .....it would have to be on or the other imo.

33 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Seeing rumours for Ozil and El Shaarawy. A bit skeptical of the Ozil one because he is 30 and they are claiming they are looking at a younger player(s).

Interesting. I briefly considered the possibility of Ozil, until I remembered his wages. 

El Shaarawy on the other hand, who I also thought of a few days ago, would be much more attainable imo - but still that'd really be a massive coup for the club. Would love it, obviously, but I don't know how realistic that is.

Any links to pass on to us? I can't find anything on it.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Interesting. I briefly considered the possibility of Ozil, until I remembered his wages. 

El Shaarawy on the other hand, who I also thought of a few days ago, would be much more attainable imo.

Any links to pass on to us? I can't find anything on it.

Why would Roma sell its top scorer? Why would he want to come to TFC from and champions league level team? How could TFC afford his 22 mill euros price listed on transfer market. I can't see it happening. 

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

Why would Roma sell its top scorer? Why would he want to come to TFC from and champions league level team? How could TFC afford his 22 mill euros price listed on transfer market. I can't see it happening. 

Well, I could see him before Ozil, but I think both are overreaching. Obviously I would love to be wrong though. 

Jonathan Menendez is one step away from #Toronto for 6 months with a charge of 150 thousand dollars and option 3.5. #Independiente

From a guy with 43k followers on twitter @mati_martinez 

Why 6 months though? Only takes the loan to July/Aug. 

Bono

Auro-Ciman-Mavinga-Morrow

—————-Bradley—————-

Deleon-Delgado-Osorio-Menendez

——————Boyd——————

Panama lineup? 

Terrence Boyd "happy to come to MLS," vows to give everything for Toronto

"Off the field, I’m kind of like a clown; I don’t take life that seriously. But on the pitch, I think of myself as a monster. I’m one of those guys who presses the defenders to try to force them to make mistakes, and just puts my body into everything. I just go out and kill people in the name of the team. You will see," Boyd said.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/02/07/terrence-boyd-happy-come-mls-vows-give-everything-toronto

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/time-finally-right-tfcs-terrence-boyd-come-mls/

Archived