TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

52 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I’ve see Bojan Krkic linked with a move to MLS. He may not be a household name, but the clubs he has played for certainly are. 

I think he’s just denied going anywhere, but  his profile does fit the description. 

He would definitely check all boxes. He is the right age (28) and is an attacker with some name-recognition.

I wouldn't be upset if he was the DP.

Edit: a quick search reveals that New England have been the team pursuing him. They tried in the last summer window as well it looks like. 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rightback said:

Of course ? 

I'm being sincere though, he might just tear this league up if he comes over. I'd for sure watch/attend more games just to see him.

Yeah I have always liked the player as well. 

He's only scored 1 goal for Stoke in the Championship this season, and last years' loans to Mainz and Alaves don't look very productive. However, MLS is a step down from the Bundesliga and La Liga, so I can see him doing well over here. The fresh start away from Stoke may do him wonders, as I am sure a relegation musn't be easy, especially for a player who previously suited up for Roma, Ajax and Barca

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

So walking the red has reported that Boyd will be on $200k/yr.

For someone who at one point in his career scored roughly 30 goals in 70 games for Rapid Wien, that's good business.

Boyd is definitely better than Ricketts. 

TFC will need him with Jozy being hurt half the time.

Boyd and Hamilton will probably be starting vs Panama in a few weeks. 

17 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Boyd is definitely better than Ricketts. 

TFC will need him with Jozy being hurt half the time.

Boyd and Hamilton will probably be starting vs Panama in a few weeks. 

Yeah, I'm not sure if Altidore will be fit in time. His return date is right around the date of the first match, so flip a coin on his chances.

Either way though, perhaps he'll be available off the bench and used if needed. 

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

With Menendez  also coming in on loan I bet Jordan Hamilton is ecstatic to have re-signed. Hope Hamilton is the MLS-CPL loan that was mooted a while back. 

Isn't Menendez more of a winger? Transfer market has him playing mostly as a left winger. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

So walking the red has reported that Boyd will be on $200k/yr.

For someone who at one point in his career scored roughly 30 goals in 70 games for Rapid Wien, that's good business.

Considering the son i law is making 135 and Delgado is 210, getting Boyd for 200 really is good business.  

15 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

What will the lineup even be at Panama?

Bono

Auro-Ciman-Mavinga-Morrow

Deleon-Delgado-Bradley-Osorio

Hamilton-Boyd

Or Moor in a 3-5-2 with Deleon out?

With the players available right now, and assuming Jozy isn't ready:

----------------------Bono-----------------------

Auro-------Ciman---Mavinga----Morrow

---------------------Bradley------------------------

-----------Delgado-----Chapman--------------

---------------------Osorio------------------------

---------------Boyd---Hamilton-------------

43 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

That lineup does not instil fear of any sort, except in TFC fans.  We don’t win any hardware with that lineup except maybe the Canadian Championship. Ali needs to make something happen and soon.

True but we all know they will bring in a brand-new shiny DP soon. 

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I hope so but I am okay if they just sign a player in the summer. Hopefully they announce 2-3 TAM level signings that are ready for the start of the season. 

I think they'll definitely want the DP now. Sure, there are more players available in the summer, but since they already have their targets, there isnt much value in waiting for the summer. In fact, they are already in discussions with the potential signings, so presumably he'll arrive before CCL.

The sooner you can bring in a key player, the better 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think they'll definitely want the DP now. Sure, there are more players available in the summer, but since they already have their targets, there isnt much value in waiting for the summer. In fact, they are already in discussions with the potential signings, so presumably he'll arrive before CCL.

Considering how many crap big names they brought in before getting a home run with Gio, it wouldnt bother me if they waited until summer and got the right guy.  Hate to be saddled with a bum.  They need to take whatever time they need,  and have him be the kind of success we had with our last round of big signings (Gio/Altidore/Bradley).  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Considering how many crap big names they brought in before getting a home run with Gio, it wouldnt bother me if they waited until summer and got the right guy.  Hate to be saddled with a bum.  They need to take whatever time they need,  and have him be the kind of success we had with our last round of big signings (Gio/Altidore/Bradley).  

For sure you want to get it right, but the process is such that they already had an A option, B option, C option for a designated player long in advance of Giovinco's departure. Therefore, the homework has been done, and it was just a matter of activating their plan once they found out Seba was leaving.

No need to wait until summer on this. They've had targets for a while now.

Had they started their DP search from scratch, I would fully agree and I would expect them to wait, but that's not the case (or so they say).

That doesn't guarantee success, of course. At the end of the day, there are so many factors at play that determine if a DP will be successful. Due diligence can only take you so far.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For sure you want to get it right, but the process is such that they already had an A option, B option, C option for a designated player long in advance of Giovinco's departure. Therefore, the homework has been done, and it was just a matter of activating their plan once they found out Seba was leaving.

No need to wait until summer on this. They've had targets for a while now.

Had they started their DP search from scratch, I would fully agree and I would expect them to wait, but that's not the case (or so they say).

That doesn't guarantee success, of course. At the end of the day, there are so many factors at play that determine if a DP will be successful. Due diligence can only take you so far.

Did they?? They were seriously looking at a Giovinco replacement a month ago, had the new GM even started then??  And not silly FIFA -19 shopping list of Balotelli and Chicharito.  This stuff is so fluid, who is in and out of favor at their current club, who is available at which window etc. I find it hard to believe this didnt throw a wrench into things, for targets they had for next summer (or later remember they said they expected Gio to resign...if you believe them).  They told the new GM he would be coasting into the season not revamping the franchise in 6 weeks.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Did they?? They were seriously looking at a Giovinco replacement a month ago, had the new GM even started then??  And not silly FIFA -19 shopping list of Balotelli and Chicharito.  This stuff is so fluid, who is in and out of favor at their current club, who is available at which window etc. I find it hard to believe this didnt throw a wrench into things, for targets they had for next summer (or later remember they said they expected Gio to resign...if you believe them).  They told the new GM he would be coasting into the season not revamping the franchise in 6 weeks.  

Jack Dodd, director of scouting operations, plays a key role in identifying new players for the club, including designated players.

Since they knew Seba's departure was a possibility, Jack probably already had his top options for a new DP ready to go for Ali Curtis.

That's what I meant when I said the homework has already been done. Not by Curtis, but Jack Dodd.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

What if the team doesn’t want to let the player go until the summer window?

Heres a name that kind of fits what people have been saying about the DP. 

Isaac Success 23 years old left winger from Watford. 3 goals this year which is more than what Jozy did in about three years in the EPL. His price tag is 6 mill euros on transfer market. 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Jack Dodd, director of scouting operations, plays a key role in identifying new players for the club, including designated players.

Since they knew Seba's departure was a possibility, Jack probably already had his top options for a new DP ready to go for Ali Curtis.

That's what I meant when I said the homework has already been done. Not by Curtis, but Jack Dodd.

Surely they have a list of interesting prospects. However now it comes down to te actual negotiations with both club and player, and that can be quite the pickle (especially knowing how much TFC spent on Gio, any club will want to scrape the barrel). 

Archived