TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only assume this would be a move to put him in the backline, otherwise it makes little sense (if it happens). I'm not sure that the author of the TSN article who stated that Juninho could help to spell off Victor Vazquez knows what he or she is talking about, as Juninho is not that kind of midfielder.

I think there might be some truth to the Osorio to Columbia rumours. 

IF we bring in Juninho and move to a 4-3-3 formation, there will be a huge log jam in the mid field. 

We could use the Osorio money on a CB.

Bono

GVDW-New CB like Kendall Watson-Mavinga-Morrow

Vasquez-Bradley-Delgado

Jansen-Jozy-Giovinco

Bench=Moor, Auro, Telfer, Bakero, Hamilton, Morgan Zavaleta, Chapman 

As I mentioned in the Osorio thread, I see Juninho as filling the Cheyrou roll. We really missed him last season. 

Juninho is a good passer of the ball and can help dictate the tempo, just like Cheryou.

He can also strike a ball from distance, so TFC get that also. I'm sure they hoped to get that from Aketxe, but we all know how that guy turned out.

Great to add another winner to the squad. Can't ever have too many of those guys.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

As I mentioned in the Osorio thread, I see Juninho as filling the Cheyrou roll. We really missed him last season. 

Juninho is a good passer of the ball and can help dictate the tempo, just like Cheryou.

He can also strike a ball from distance, so TFC get that also. I'm sure they hoped to get that from Aketxe, but we all know how that guy turned out.

Great to add another winner to the squad. Can't ever have too many of those guys.

I think he'll be a good signing, for all the reasons you've described.  It shows an urgency as the window for this DP core is closing, so he can step in and do some good things. 

2 hours ago, Blindside16 said:

The rumour mill is kicking into high gear thanks to Jozy's cryptic banter with Gignac on twitter.  It looks like he may be heading to Mexico.  If he does leave that will leave a huge hole that the team will need to fill.

The rumour said that we would be getting back Enner Valencia back in a deal plus one other player. Hole = Filled. 

6 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

The rumour said that we would be getting back Enner Valencia back in a deal plus one other player. Hole = Filled. 

Other player is reportedly Ismael sosa. Argentine forward with a Mexican passport. 31 years old. Started his career at independente with 13 goals in 80 league games. Has 15 in 78 in Liga MX for Tigres. Had a brief stop in Turkey as well.

Seems crazy on the surface for Tigres to part with both players, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I just hope any incoming player has the right attitude, so TFC better have done their due diligence on that front. 

It would suck to lose Jozy. I still think he's the most important player on that team, even more than Giovinco. Especially in big games, his will to win is like no other. If not for Jozy, would TFC gotten past the crew AND the sounders in 2017?

On the flip side, you have to be on the field to make a difference, and Jozy is often injured. Plus, two quality players coming in for one is hard to pass up. Though you could argue that Tigres are offloading two sometimes starters in Mexico for one of the top strikers in MLS.

It would radically change the way TFC play though. Much of it is dependent on him holding up the ball. Neither incoming player does that. This may freshen things up though....

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Other player is reportedly Ismael sosa. Argentine forward with a Mexican passport. 31 years old. Started his career at independente with 13 goals in 80 league games. Has 15 in 78 in Liga MX for Tigres. Had a brief stop in Turkey as well.

Seems crazy on the surface for Tigres to part with both players, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I just hope any incoming player has the right attitude, so TFC better have done their due diligence on that front. 

It would suck to lose Jozy. I still think he's the most important player on that team, even more than Giovinco. Especially in big games, his will to win is like no other. If not for Jozy, would TFC gotten past the crew AND the sounders in 2017?

On the flip side, you have to be on the field to make a difference, and Jozy is often injured. Plus, two quality players coming in for one is hard to pass up. Though you could argue that Tigres are offloading two sometimes starters in Mexico for one of the top strikers in MLS.

It would radically change the way TFC play though. Much of it is dependent on him holding up the ball. Neither incoming player does that. This may freshen things up though....

Sosa seems like the type of Winger Vanney was talking about adding to the team. I think Valencia is on the level of Jozy, he had more success in the EPL that’s for sure. 

If we ad Juninho, Sosa, Valencia and a CB that’s a pretty good offseason.

Bono

VDW-CB FA- Mavinga- Morrow

Juninho-Bradley-Osorio

Jansen-Valencia-Gio

Sosa, Delgado, Brazilian GK?, Moor?, Auro, Zavaleta, Telfer, Chapman, Hamilton on the bench. Pretty good depth. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

No rumors on the CB hole they need to fill?    I'm more worried about that than a striker.  

Kendall Watson would be a nice adittion.I dont think we need a CB that bad though, I think Vanney might move VDW inside, he played pretty well there. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Sosa seems like the type of Winger Vanney was talking about adding to the team. I think Valencia is on the level of Jozy, he had more success in the EPL that’s for sure. 

If we ad Juninho, Sosa, Valencia and a CB that’s a pretty good offseason.

Bono

VDW-CB FA- Mavinga- Morrow

Juninho-Bradley-Osorio

Jansen-Valencia-Gio

Sosa, Delgado, Brazilian GK?, Moor?, Auro, Zavaleta, Telfer, Chapman, Hamilton on the bench. Pretty good depth. 

My concern is that Valencia, I think, is arguably a better player all around, but I don't know if he can bring it like Jozy in those big moments. Few players can. Even Giovinco, for as talented as he is, doesn't come up with the goods as often as Jozy when it's all on the line.

Of course, that may be true of Valencia also, but I don't know, because I haven't followed him closely over the years.

But no doubt, both him and Sosa are TAM level players in MLS. Both have quality for sure.

As for the alignment, I dont know how good Valencia would be through the middle.... it would be a different look.

By the way, where is Vazquez? Did I miss something?

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

My concern is that Valencia, I think, is arguably a better player all around, but I don't know if he can bring it like Jozy in those big moments. Few players can. Even Giovinco, for as talented as he is, doesn't come up with the goods as often as Jozy when it's all on the line.

Of course, that may be true of Valencia also, but I don't know, because I haven't followed him closely over the years.

But no doubt, both him and Sosa are TAM level players in MLS. Both have quality for sure.

As for the alignment, I dont know how good Valencia would be through the middle.... it would be a different look.

By the way, where is Vazquez? Did I miss something?

Wow I forgot about Vasquez, he’s just injured so much I left him out. Could we afford all of these guys? Maybe the Osorio to Columbia rumours are true and that would free up space in the mid field and salary cap. 

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/11/27/toronto-fc-announces-year-end-roster-moves

Toronto FC’s 2019 roster as it currently stands:

Goalkeepers (2): Alex Bono, Caleb Patterson-Sewell 

Defenders (8): Julian Dunn, Nick Hagglund, Chris Mavinga, Drew Moor, Ashtone Morgan, Justin Morrow, Gregory van der Wiel, Eriq Zavaleta

Midfielders (8): Michael Bradley, Jay Chapman, Aidan Daniels, Marky Delgado, Liam Fraser, Jonathan Osorio, Ryan Telfer, Victor Vazquez

Forwards (4): Ayo Akinola, Jozy Altidore, Jon Bakero, Sebastian Giovinco

Well good to hear that the rumours about Morgan being cut were not true after all, as I really couldn't understand the thinking behind that.

This part of the article from Bezbatchenko was perhaps most interesting:

"Toronto FC has not exercised options on goalkeeper Clint Irwin and forward Tosaint Ricketts. Defender Jason Hernandez and forward Jordan Hamilton will both be out of contract at the end of the year. Hernandez is eligible for free agency.

The loan deals for defender Auro Jr. and forward Lucas Janson will both expire on December 31. In addition, Toronto FC has agreed to terminate the contract of midfielder Ager Aketxe by mutual consent.

Bezbatchenko "We will continue to have discussions with the players on loan and whose options were not exercised and those out of contract. We want to also acknowledge Clint, Tosaint and Jason for their contributions to the club both on and off the field. They have played an instrumental part in building our club into one that competes for championships.”

Of the four people mentioned in the first paragraph, that "thanks for everything!" quote makes it sound like Irwin, Ricketts & Hernandez are not coming back despite the paragraph about continuing discussions with those who's options were not picked up or out of contract (which just leaves Hamilton of the out of contracts & Janson & Auro for the loanees). Hernandez is retiring I believe, we've heard elsewhere that Ricketts isn't coming back so the only surprise might be Irwin (which leaves them short a reliable back-up).

Irwin was pretty bad last year and made too much money. I hope Auro and JAnsen are back. We have 5 centre backs on the roster, someone has to go trade Zavaleta or Hagglund. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t sign another centre back and just move GDW there. 

With HAmilton and Ricketts  gone we need to sign another forward or two. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

With HAmilton and Ricketts  gone we need to sign another forward or two. 

It's unclear at this point whether Hamilton is gone - he wasn't mentioned in the "so long and thanks for all the fish" paragraph unlike the other non-loan players (and he's also not listed to be a free agent, unlike Hernandez). This is potentially similar with what happened to Morgan a few years ago where initially his contract was said to expire and then he was re-signed, presumably for a different salary than he might have been signed for if the contract had been extended. Its possible that Ricketts could still re-sign based on that article it's just that the aforementioned note of farewell makes it seem like it is less likely for him (as does his salary and the fact that he was used less last year than even Hamilton was).

As of now this would be my squad

GK- Bono

Auro, GDW-Mavinga-Morrow

Vasquez-Bradley-Osorio

Gio-Jozy-Jansen

Bench- Moor, Chapman, Delgado, Morgan, Zavaleta, Hagglund, Akinoya, Telfer, Dunn, Sewell

Needs? Another forward, a creative midfielder to spell Vasquez, another centre back and right back.  

We need to trade at least one of Hagglund and Zavaleta. I wouldn’t be opposed to loading out Osorio for six months if he wants if we can sign a solid winger/mid fielder. 

What do you guys think?

Archived