TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Its on a tv segment he did for TSN which is available on the TSN website - he's saying that even though Giovinco is happy in Toronto there's a precedent now for TFC transfering players to the Middle-east if the club wants to pay them enough money, so that's what makes it less likely he stays (in Jack's opinion). Apparently the offer they turned down was a 10-million per-season salary figure.

Wouldn't it be the transfer fee they'd turn down, rather than the salary figure? I thought the salary would simply be negotiated with between agent and Saudi club, whereas the fee to transfer would be what Toronto rejected. Just looking for clarity on how this works. Thanks!

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious what Toronto would offer Gio in terms of extension? I suspect it would be something like maybe $5M/yr for 2 years. No way they would come close to matching $10M/yr for 3 years. And that doesn't take into account the tax rates which are apparently low in Saudi Arabia...which is why I wouldn't be shocked if does go...

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Rumors have surfaced that Algerian international Sofiane Hanni, of Spartak Moscow, has been linked with an MLS move. 

The 28 year old French-born attacking midfielder has 3 goals in 19 league games for the Russian side, which he joined last year. He started his career with Nantes and had stops in Turkey and Belgium, where he was voted Belgian League player of the year with KV Mechelen in 2015-16, earning a move to Anderlecht the following season. He also has 4 goals in 8 caps for the Algerian NT.

No indication of which club or clubs are interested, but this feels like a very Toronto-esque target. Perhaps they are looking at him to fill the Vazquez void. Considering Victor won the Belgian League best player in 2014-15 (a season before Hanni won it), it's easy to imagine Toronto being aware of, and now pursuing, this player.

Another option might be Nani from Portugal. Same age as Giovinco and would probably sell some tickets with the Portuguese community just up the street from BMO. 

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Too much noise around all of this.  I would wager a guess he is gone.

This would be a disaster.  Regardless of the money they get for him and even if they break the bank to replace him, you just can replace what he brings.  The goals scoring is one thing,  but its also what he creates in the final third and the space he creates for others.  And then there’s the free kicks.  Who is out there that is willing to come to MLS, that replaces the skills i mentioned and that is not on the downside of his career?  Sure there are always the thierry henry and wayne rooney types and other great fowards but not with the multideminsions that giovinco had.  Mls people use to talk about David Villa, i say BS to that comparaison.  Villa could score goals but couldnt fulfill definition of a ten like Giovinco. 

In his mvp year, i believe that he had the kind of form whereby he would starred in any league in the world. Maybe he was too good for the league and maybe he should have been playing somewhere else like top flight Italy, spain or england at that time but it was sure worth the price of admission. 

TFC was very fortunate to land this guy.  No way did anyone expect the kind of impact he would have when they signed him.  Even the tactics,  like the multiple midfield formations, worked because you had Giovinco.  A diamond formation , for example, worked because while the team conceded width on the pitch, the diamond created space for the midfielder when difting from side to side while having Giovinco on the opposite side drawing the attention from defender(s).   This created a game that was fun to watch because it had lots of passing, possesion and creativity.  Made the midfield look great.  

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Another option might be Nani from Portugal. Same age as Giovinco and would probably sell some tickets with the Portuguese community just up the street from BMO. 

Yeah I saw the Nani rumor as well. I think he would make for a very solid DP both on and off the field. That said, I wouldn't force out any of the current DPs to accommodate Nani. I still would prefer keeping as much of the squad together as possible, even if it means passing up on a player like Nani.

As for the Algerian, I do hope it is Toronto that's sniffing around for him. I haven't seen him play, but I do like resume. 

Getting very nervous that things are going to be a disaster this coming year and Giovinco if he leaves will be the final nail in the coffin.  Ali was told the roster was set and he would ease into the job.  Now he is in the position to replace 2 or 3 of our best players four weeks before the season starts.  Those two glorious years will start to disappear from the memory.  On the bright side tickets will be had easier.

The sporting owner is a headcase who is believed to have participated in organizing the players being attacked inside their own training ground. While that happened before Nani arrived, with a mentalist like that having been around and likely having a number of his people inside the club, there would be no surprise if Nani feels this is a good opportunity for one more payday, a good life experience, and he should move on. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Rumors have surfaced that Algerian international Sofiane Hanni, of Spartak Moscow, has been linked with an MLS move. 

The 28 year old French-born attacking midfielder has 3 goals in 19 league games for the Russian side, which he joined last year. He started his career with Nantes and had stops in Turkey and Belgium, where he was voted Belgian League player of the year with KV Mechelen in 2015-16, earning a move to Anderlecht the following season. He also has 4 goals in 8 caps for the Algerian NT.

No indication of which club or clubs are interested, but this feels like a very Toronto-esque target. Perhaps they are looking at him to fill the Vazquez void. Considering Victor won the Belgian League best player in 2014-15 (a season before Hanni won it), it's easy to imagine Toronto being aware of, and now pursuing, this player.

Not familiar with him.  The age part (28) would mean that he is still at his peak as far as abilities.  So that part is encouraging.  

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Getting very nervous that things are going to be a disaster this coming year and Giovinco if he leaves will be the final nail in the coffin.  Ali was told the roster was set and he would ease into the job.  Now he is in the position to replace 2 or 3 of our best players four weeks before the season starts.  Those two glorious years will start to disappear from the memory.  On the bright side tickets will be had easier.

Guys...Guys....calm down.  Remember we still have our boy genius, maestro manager extraordinaire..Mr Vanney.  I'm sure a guy with his "particular set of skills" will able to overcome only 2 DP,s (one often injured), several large holes in the starting 11 and team chemistry that looks about as tasty as turtle soup.  Or...maybe 2019 will be like 2018, a big sh#t sandwich and we'll all have to take a bite.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Guys...Guys....calm down.  Remember we still have our boy genius, maestro manager extraordinaire..Mr Vanney.  I'm sure a guy with his "particular set of skills" will able to overcome only 2 DP,s (one often injured), several large holes in the starting 11 and team chemistry that looks about as tasty as turtle soup.  Or...maybe 2019 will be like 2018, a big sh#t sandwich and we'll all have to take a bite.  

tumblr_m5899iDUB01r9prsfo8_r1_250.gif

10 hours ago, maccaliam said:

The sporting owner is a headcase who is believed to have participated in organizing the players being attacked inside their own training ground. While that happened before Nani arrived, with a mentalist like that having been around and likely having a number of his people inside the club, there would be no surprise if Nani feels this is a good opportunity for one more payday, a good life experience, and he should move on. 

I think you must be right. They just won the League Cup btw and instead of celebrating they had a dirge and Nani wore a dark suit and scowled, holding up a sign written in his daughter's blood asking TFC to save him from the owner of Sporting.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think you must be right. They just won the League Cup btw and instead of celebrating they had a dirge and Nani wore a dark suit and scowled, holding up a sign written in his daughter's blood asking TFC to save him from the owner of Sporting.

I thought I was the only one who saw that sign. Here I was thinking I had a special connection with the players of sporting. 

Next you are going to tell me other people are aware of players unilaterally rescinding their contracts because of the violence they experienced in the attack, and that it wasn’t a club insider that has told me charges are being brought against the club owner for his direct involvement. 

11 hours ago, Free kick said:

Not familiar with him.  The age part (28) would mean that he is still at his peak as far as abilities.  So that part is encouraging.  

Not only is he at the peak of his prime, but his trajectory has been upwards his entire career.

After starting at Nantes (who were in ligue 2), he moved to the Turkish second division and cut his teeth.

Then, he moved up to a midtable club in the Belgian top flight, where he was voted best player in the league.

From there, transfered to the giants of the league, Anderlecht, and did well there also.

Then came the Spartak Moscow move, which could be seen as lateral, but was probably a step up in pay. 

So I like his trajectory compared to VDW who was already trending in the opposite way. TFC would be getting him not only at the peak his prime in terms of age, but also at the peak of what he can offer on the field.

10 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I thought I was the only one who saw that sign. Here I was thinking I had a special connection with the players of sporting. 

Next you are going to tell me other people are aware of players unilaterally rescinding their contracts because of the violence they experienced in the attack, and that it wasn’t a club insider that has told me charges are being brought against the club owner for his direct involvement. 

Sporting is the devil incarnate, you must know if you are that close to the club. 

You must also know that the attack happened last May, that the events of players leaving also was early last summer, and that you are posturing to be cool, as if it were not a major European club and some cigar store you hang around to shoot the shit.

Suggesting the previous owner is a headcase, and he would still have a few allies within the club isn’t a difficult situation to imagine. On the outside, he was a big shot with the ultras too IIRC, and he apparently has a lot of supporters there. IMO that doesn’t make a comfortable day to day existence for players returning from last year.

It is also possible that some players who have remained will still want out and are still affected in one way or another by the attack. I don’t know for sure, but I believe that to be likely. Just because you disagree, does not mean it couldn’t be true.

Suggesting Nani may be interested in a move to have a new life experience and have one final big payday isn’t an outrageous claim. TFC has recently paid top dollar for its DPs and they may be willing to do so again if Giovonco moves on as has been suggested elsewhere. 

Having a different opinion doesn’t mean I am trying to be cool or to demonize the club. It simply means I am looking at this situation differently than you. 

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Any idea what they got for Vasquez?? 

All of a sudden Rollins isnt going to mind missing TFC to see the CPL kick off.  

Unless the club brings in another big name DP to replace him I think many of the TFC fanbase will be losing some of their enthusiasm, I always felt Seba alone was worth the price of admission!

Vintage TFC.. in a way I'm sort of relieved that it's so much easier to support Forge now.  The team seems content on taking a step back - I imagine they look at a team like NYRB and want to replicate that (hence the new GM).  Just a team of good MLS players with no legitimate superstars - it'll save MLSE big money, maybe they'll even start bringing some starters through the academy which could be good at least.  

In my mind they either need to step up and get serious about bringing in replacement talent or get serious about being domestic.  If Vanney thinks he's going to just fill in with Americans people are going to lose their minds.  Damn, the wheels fell off the TFC party in record time - we are about 9 months from them being in the CCL final on top of the world to a team that lost their legend, GM, best defender, superstar midfielder.. 

Archived