TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

So I just read the statement from VDW on the MLS website. As you would expect, it was stark contrast from the club’s statement. With most things in life, the truth is somewhere in the middle, but both sides have obscured the incident with ambiguity.

To paraphrase Gregory: I was ready to give my all and do anything to win, but it must have been too much for them, because they don’t need me anymore.

Just speculating, but perhaps in training VDW was critical of either the coaching staff, another player(s), or both, and it unfortunately escalated. In his mind, he’s probably thinking of the team and was concerned by the standard or even the (perceived) laid back mentality in the group.

Remember, he’s been consistent in saying he wants to win badly and he was hyper critical of his Cagliari teammates for basically not giving a shit enough when they lost, smoking after games and whatnot. I get that it must be tough for him coming first from Ajax, where he won trophies. Then PSG, same thing, and somewhere in there was playing in a World Cup final. That’s his standard, essentially.

Ultimately though, he must have lashed out in some way for the club to take such a drastic approach, I think. Again, I like the player and am sad to see him go, but it is not hard for me to imagine him boiling over in some way, based on what I have read about his comments regarding not feeling accepted his last few years in Europe because of the way he looks or something to that effect. Nothing against him, but I don’t think he is mentally grounded.

At least I can say better now than once the season starts. I still wish him all the best and will follow his career, wherever he ends up next. I hope it is not within the league, because I can see an angry and motivated VDW playing for LA galaxy or Atlanta (Dutch coach) and it coming back to bite Toronto. I really hope they have enough sense not to deal him to Atlanta. 

And finally, if I can be critical of the coaching staff for a minute, I must say they failed to do their job and MANAGE this player. Clearly they knew his history, have worked with him for a year, must know his tendencies, right? Perhaps their minds are elsewhere adjusting to the Vazquez departure and not keeping a particular careful eye out to talented, but potentially problematic players such as VDW. Perhaps there were warning signs that were missed. Things sometimes seem to be out of the blue, but they rarely are.

Lesson learned from both sides, I am sure.

Now we wait to see who comes in next! 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This makes me wonder whats going on behind the scenes with team chemistry?  Vasquez suddenly wants out, VDW acts out and is gone.  Why not quietly shop VDW around instead of making this stuff public?   I really fell like we are sliding back into the old TFC again.  Bez leaves, 2 starters follow him out the door, right after management puts out articles saying the roster is set, no big moves coming. Reading some of the comments above talking about a treble or championship etc, I am starting to wonder.  Although a winning season and a playoff spot sound about right, and then anything can happen from there.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

This makes me wonder whats going on behind the scenes with team chemistry?  Vasquez suddenly wants out, VDW acts out and is gone.  Why not quietly shop VDW around instead of making this stuff public?   I really fell like we are sliding back into the old TFC again.  Bez leaves, 2 starters follow him out the door, right after management puts out articles saying the roster is set, no big moves coming. Reading some of the comments above talking about a treble or championship etc, I am starting to wonder.  Although a winning season and a playoff spot sound about right, and then anything can happen from there.  

On Vasquez, it’s obvious who wouldn’t want to make 3x the money?

It seems like a lot of fans are freaking out, lets wait a week or two and see what Curtis brings in. I trust him more than BEZ. 

The account that was leaking information said we are looking at Jonathan Menendez from Argentina. That would be a nice piece to help replace VV. 

Against Vancouver last year in the game that officially eliminated TFC from playoff contention, Giovinco yelled at VDW for poor defensive play and VDW screamed back at him and they continued to have a shouting match - no idea whether it was caught on camera. This stood out for me in a couple of respects - it’s the only time I can recall Giovinco screaming at a veteran player and the only time I can recall him screaming at a player for making a bad play that had nothing to do with him (usually he would scream at Endoh or Delgado etc for making a shitty cross that sailed over his head, etc.) - and to be fair to Giovinco, I can recall myself and 25,000 other fans also yelling at VDW on the play as he was slow to react and took a silly yellow card on the play (and later got a second one effectively ending TFC’s final hopes of a miracle). It is however the only time I can recall a teammate screaming back at Giovinco, which I thought was telling at the time. In a sense this news is not a huge surprise although disappointing.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Why not quietly shop VDW around instead of making this stuff public?

Because it happened at training camp, after VDW had already been seen in a bunch of photos with the group.

People would notice quickly that he's not there.

Some folks in the comments section of the MLS article are now saying this all came about because VDW didn't want to play CB.

For someone who wants to win, he sure isn't thinking about the team first, if that's true. Perhaps he thinks playing RB is best for the team, but he's not the coach and you can't have the tail wag the dog. I think VDW is fantastic at RB btw, and I think he did a very good job at CB last year, so it would be weird that VDW would have such a problem playing out of position again. 

At the end of the day, we still don't know what transpired. It would be a shame if all this nonsense was over position. Again, I would have to point the finger at the coaches as well, because players are people and sometimes your people need convincing. If VDW wasn't convinced he should play at CB, wouldn't a good manager help the player see his potential / value in that role? And if he doesn't see it, do you even want that player in that role?

I hope Vanney is not getting lost at sea here. He insisted on Bradley at CB when it clearly didn't work. On the subject of Endo re-signing, I think Wheeler said Vanney finds it difficult to let go of something he likes in a player. Now there are rumours VDW didn't want to play CB and perhaps Vanney couldn't let go of that idea, the idea of VDW the CB.

All speculation on my part based on an unsubstantiated rumour, but until I get some transfer news, I must resort to this ?

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Against Vancouver last year in the game that officially eliminated TFC from playoff contention, Giovinco yelled at VDW for poor defensive play and VDW screamed back at him and they continued to have a shouting match - no idea whether it was caught on camera. This stood out for me in a couple of respects - it’s the only time I can recall Giovinco screaming at a veteran player and the only time I can recall him screaming at a player for making a bad play that had nothing to do with him (usually he would scream at Endoh or Delgado etc for making a shitty cross that sailed over his head, etc.) - and to be fair to Giovinco, I can recall myself and 25,000 other fans also yelling at VDW on the play as he was slow to react and took a silly yellow card on the play (and later got a second one effectively ending TFC’s final hopes of a miracle). It is however the only time I can recall a teammate screaming back at Giovinco, which I thought was telling at the time. In a sense this news is not a huge surprise although disappointing.

Great point. Perhaps the writing was on the wall.

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

On Vasquez, it’s obvious who wouldn’t want to make 3x the money?

It seems like a lot of fans are freaking out, lets wait a week or two and see what Curtis brings in. I trust him more than BEZ. 

The account that was leaking information said we are looking at Jonathan Menendez from Argentina. That would be a nice piece to help replace VV. 

His highlights remind me of Portland's Sebastian Blanco. Quick and nimble, good dribbler and can shoot from distance. 

He's the same age as Janson and is a left winger according to Transfermarkt fwiw. His value is €2.5M whereas Janson was €4M, but Osorio and VV are both €2M, just to give you an idea.

He's on loan somewhere in the middle east from Independente. He only played 9 games for the South American giants, who he joined in 2018, not scoring at all, but before that scored 10 in 30 for Talleres who placed 5th in 2017-18. Also spent time at Sevilla B.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

His highlights remind me of Portland's Sebastian Blanco. Quick and nimble, good dribbler and can shoot from distance. 

He's the same age as Janson and is a left winger according to Transfermarkt fwiw. His value is €2.5M whereas Janson was €4M, but Osorio and VV are both €2M, just to give you an idea.

He's on loan somewhere in the middle east from Independente. He only played 9 games for the South American giants, who he joined in 2018, not scoring at all, but before that scored 10 in 30 for Talleres who placed 5th in 2017-18. Also spent time at Sevilla B.

Menendez’s stats look better than Janson. 10 goals in 30 games for Talleres vs 10 goals in 82 games for Janson on a worse team. If they can bring him in for less money than Janssen its a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Menendez’s stats look better than Janson. 10 goals in 30 games for Talleres vs 10 goals in 82 games for Janson on a worse team. If they can bring him in for less money than Janssen its a no brainer. 

Agreed. Plus from the clips he looks like he could play more centrally if needed. I know he is listed as a winger, but just watching those highlights I could see him popping up in the middle of the field, much like Blanco.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

I'll believe this one when I see it. Remember, Giovinco is under contract. There's a reddit thread in which someone claims his agent is in Saudi now and trying to break the contract, but as far as I understand the club must agree to terminate.

I can't imagine a world where TFC terminate Giovinco's contract so that he can play in Saudi Arabia.....

Either:

A ) TFC have a mega superstar lined up to replace Seba.

B ) TFC are just bat shit crazy

or

C ) This is a hail mary from Seba's agent in order to get the club to offer him anew contract.

I really hope it's C, but you just never know with this club....

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I'll believe this one when I see it. Remember, Giovinco is under contract. There's a reddit thread in which someone claims his agent is in Saudi now and trying to break the contract, but as far as I understand the club must agree to terminate.

I can't imagine a world where TFC terminate Giovinco's contract so that he can play in Saudi Arabia.....

Either:

A ) TFC have a mega superstar lined up to replace Seba.

B ) TFC are just bat shit crazy

or

C ) This is a hail mary from Seba's agent in order to get the club to offer him anew contract.

I really hope it's C, but you just never know with this club....

Yeah Molinaro and Kloke have disputed it. I'm thinking it's C.

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

You are annoyed now?? Wait until we sign one of the USMNT guys mentioned above, pay him about twice the salary he was going to get anywhere else and MLS touts it as a wonderful move for the league.  On another thread guys were talking about a defacto CDN national team, TFC is could become the home for the USMNT.  

1 hour ago, RS said:

How many Canadians are out there that are looking for/in need of a new club situation that are also good enough to help TFC right now?

Larin? 

Rumours of Puebla looking to sell Cavallini

Liam Millar needs a new club in the next 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Larin? 

Rumours of Puebla looking to sell Cavallini

Liam Millar needs a new club in the next 6 months. 

Larin is not coming back to MLS.

Cavs is moving up at this point in his career, not down.

Millar is not a TAM level player at this point in his career.

21 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Larin is not coming back to MLS.

Cavs is moving up at this point in his career, not down.

Millar is not a TAM level player at this point in his career.

Why wouldn’t Larin come home?

TFC is a bigger club  and an upgrade over Puebla. 

Millar is the type of winger TFC needs. 

Hoilet would be another option who could help the team but would Cardiff let him go? Doubt it. 

Manjdrekar James would be a good replacement for Hagglund. 

Petrasso or Godinho would be a good backup for Auro now that VWD is gone. 

5 hours ago, RS said:

How many Canadians are out there that are looking for/in need of a new club situation that are also good enough to help TFC right now?

Its a big footballing world out there.  Plenty of players to look at.  If MLS wants to repatriate the USMNT, get an american club to do it.  

Archived