TFC 2018-2019 Off-season

Gian-Luca

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Nice rant from Tim and Sid. 

Tim calls MLS "over inflated". I don't disagree 

Hard to argue with most of that.

Giovinco could have probably put up double digit goals and assists until he was 36. Would he be worth 7m a year at that stage? Depends on who else you can bring in for that money, I guess.

After one bad season, MLSE wants to change the game plan. They look at the revenue and are unhappy with the profits, I get that. 

But I think they were mistaken to look at last years numbers as evidence he slowed down. Last season was a major outlier and nothing went right, yet he still lead the team in goals and assists, so did he really slow down? He dominated CCL, but he's past his prime? No, I think MLSE was focused on age and not ability. The only thing Seba has lost is a bit of pace, but he was already beginning to evolve. They should have continued to build around Seba and cut costs elsewhere.

Anyways, that's it for me. I am done beating this dead horse. I am putting this in the rear view and moving on and will focus on the players at the club.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man way to many irrational/emotional hot takes. TFC got Giovinco in his prime and sold him in his early 30's. I don't see how this is a "bad look for the league". Instead of overpaying for an older player teams are start looking realistically at the players worth. It's exactly the way MLS needs to get.

Giovinco was a fan favourite and cannot replaced in that sense. But people need to get over it.

49 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Man way to many irrational/emotional hot takes. TFC got Giovinco in his prime and sold him in his early 30's. I don't see how this is a "bad look for the league". Instead of overpaying for an older player teams are start looking realistically at the players worth. It's exactly the way MLS needs to get.

Giovinco was a fan favourite and cannot replaced in that sense. But people need to get over it.

Finally someone thinking with logic. 

Once they announce the DP and TAM signings all the complainers who said they would go support to CPL will come crawling back. 

You dont need to hate TFC to support the CPL btw. 

Can’t wait for the young attacking DP!

Hanni I think will fill the VV role on a 1.5 mill TAM deal

Then TFC will use VDW’s money on another TAM level player, perhaps from the allocation list?

Its a funny argument. I always get the impression some people overate the league and the people like Sid underate the league. My opinion is Giovinco is getting old anyhow and wants to get paid. 5 years at a club is a long time in todays world. See you later anf go get some new players.. there are lots of them out there. Or maybe you have your own Alphonso Davies somewhere in your system. Tell Sid to relax

59 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Finally someone thinking with logic. 

Once they announce the DP and TAM signings all the complainers who said they would go support to CPL will come crawling back. 

You dont need to hate TFC to support the CPL btw. 

Can’t wait for the young attacking DP!

Hanni I think will fill the VV role on a 1.5 mill TAM deal

Then TFC will use VDW’s money on another TAM level player, perhaps from the allocation list?

It's natural for TFC fans in CPL markets to shift focus to their local team when TFC let them down.

Supporting TFC or Cavalry is not a mutually exclusive endeavor for me. I'll definitely continue to support both.

I doubt anyone on this board decided to exclusively support CPL yesterday because Toronto sold Giovinco lol

Just read the sportsnet interview with Vanney. I must say, I am very impressed with how he answered those questions.

His calm demeanor, whether on the sideline or in an interview, is an asset to the club, and I was very pleased to hear that after last season, he vowed to protect the players from distractions - and yes, he did classify VDW as a distraction.

1 minute ago, badname22 said:

out of curiosity who are all yall's personal preferences to replace Seba? I want Jose Morales, Perotti or Edu Vargas

Vanney said it won't necessarily be a like-for-like. While they'll replace giovinco, it won't be someone who plays just like him, so how the teams plays will evolve, though it will continue to operate in the framework of Vanney's vision and how sees the game.

15 hours ago, Ansem said:

Nice rant from Tim and Sid. 

Tim calls MLS "over inflated". I don't disagree 

Sorry, but that whole video comes across to me like a giant strawman argument. He seems to be debunking the theory that MLS is on the same level as the top "elite" European leagues, but I haven't actually seen anyone actually make this claim to begin with. I'm also not sure why 3 Canadian teams not making the playoffs is bad for the league (may not be great for Canadian players or growing the sport tv ratings wise in Canada, but does it really hurt the league as a whole?). And the Alphonso Davies being an outlier....and same with Tyler Adams, and same with Chris Richards and same with Almiron.......it was starting to remind me of John Cleese as the leader of the Jewish Underground in Life of Brian ie "Well all right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" If you list four examples which all occurred recently and then call them all "outliers", it just looks unintentionally hilarious.

Sorry, normally I like Sid's soccer rants but I think he's largely out to lunch on this one.

21 minutes ago, badname22 said:

out of curiosity who are all yall's personal preferences to replace Seba? I want Jose Morales, Perotti or Edu Vargas

Dudu from Palmeiras

Attacking winger who just turned 27 so hes probably a bit old for the big teams in Europe to target. His transfer fee would be about 9-10 million. 

9 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Dudu from Palmeiras

Attacking winger who just turned 27 so hes probably a bit old for the big teams in Europe to target. His transfer fee would be about 9-10 million. 

I was actually considering this player as a possibility as well.

I was just watching the Locker room on BEin Sports USA and someone on there said they knew who TFC would be getting to replace Giovinco and that Altidore would score 20 goals next year because of this guy. He said they will announce the signing next week and praised the move. 

38 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I was just watching the Locker room on BEin Sports USA and someone on there said they knew who TFC would be getting to replace Giovinco and that Altidore would score 20 goals next year because of this guy. He said they will announce the signing next week and praised the move. 

In order for Altidore to score 20 goals because of the new DP, the new DP is going to have to moonlight as a physician. ?

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

CPL isn't pretending to be something it isn't unlike MLS who are going out of their way to imply. Huge difference 

What is the MLS pretending to be? It’s selling players expecially younger players if a big team comes calling see Davies and now Almiron and Tyler Adams aswell . Sid for a guy who thinks he knows soccer by this rant makes me wonder if he really does expecially the North American one. MLS is a selling league, where players can play at a good level and if they become really good like a Davies or Almiron will be sold to one of the big leagues in Europe. You will start seeing expecially South American players come to MLS instead of the Dutch  or say the Belgian league and play in the MLS  for a few years before hopefully signing with one of the top leagues in Europe Garber has mentioned this himself, so don’t know where this pretending that Sid is talking about is coming from. Why no major European team was willing to pay him the money the Saudia Arabia league is going to pay him? Well he just turned 32 and unless your name is Ronaldo not too many players will be signing over 11 million dollar US a season for three seasons in a top European league. He also mentions Rooney coming to the MLS and doing well last season and saying he was basically crap in England for the past three season. He was not as crap as Sid says Rooney was the last three seasons he was there . Therefore , maybe Sid needs to think a little more before he opens his mouth because he does not come out looking to good with that rant.

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

In order for Altidore to score 20 goals because of the new DP, the new DP is going to have to moonlight as a physician. ?

Yup Altidore when healthy can score and has proved it, but his greatest battle is staying healthy.

8 minutes ago, 1996 said:

What is the MLS pretending to be? It’s selling players expecially younger players if a big team comes calling see Davies and now Almiron and Tyler Adams aswell . Sid for a guy who thinks he knows soccer by this rant makes me wonder if he really does expecially the North American one. MLS is a selling league, where players can play at a good level and if they become really good like a Davies or Almiron will be sold to one of the big leagues in Europe. You will start seeing expecially South American players come to MLS instead of the Dutch  or say the Belgian league and play in the MLS  for a few years before hopefully signing with one of the top leagues in Europe Garber has mentioned this himself, so don’t know where this pretending that Sid is talking about is coming from. Why no major European team was willing to pay him the money the Saudia Arabia league is going to pay him? Well he just turned 32 and unless your name is Ronaldo not too many players will be signing over 11 million dollar US a season for three seasons in a top European league. He also mentions Rooney coming to the MLS and doing well last season and saying he was basically crap in England for the past three season. He was not as crap as Sid says Rooney was the last three seasons he was there . Therefore , maybe Sid needs to think a little more before he opens his mouth because he does not come out looking to good with that rant.

Let's also see how Rooney does this season when he actually has to travel distances to play road games to an extent he never did last season or when he played in England. Almost all of his games were at home when he signed with DC because of the stadium construction. 

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Sorry, but that whole video comes across to me like a giant strawman argument. He seems to be debunking the theory that MLS is on the same level as the top "elite" European leagues, but I haven't actually seen anyone actually make this claim to begin with. I'm also not sure why 3 Canadian teams not making the playoffs is bad for the league (may not be great for Canadian players or growing the sport tv ratings wise in Canada, but does it really hurt the league as a whole?). And the Alphonso Davies being an outlier....and same with Tyler Adams, and same with Chris Richards and same with Almiron.......it was starting to remind me of John Cleese as the leader of the Jewish Underground in Life of Brian ie "Well all right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?" If you list four examples which all occurred recently and then call them all "outliers", it just looks unintentionally hilarious.

Sorry, normally I like Sid's soccer rants but I think he's largely out to lunch on this one.

Love that Monty Python reference.  Very appropo.

11 minutes ago, One American said:

If Manning's statement about fans being familiar with the player, and the suggested age is a little younger than 32, doesn't it seem like Ozil, Sturridge or James, with an outside chance of Cesc, unless Manning is really stretching the meaning of the word "familiar."

It has to be a striker.  If Altidore could guarantee you that he would play in 90% of your regular season, then maybe you could go out and get a DP attacking mid, but the chances of Altidore doing that is slim. 

Bradley, Altidore, Bono, Morrow, Delgado, and now Boyd!  That's six so far.   

They all count as 'domestics' in the MLS so will they try to fill their squad with all US national team players?  

Mr Gam and Mr Tam will push all the Canadians off the team except Osorio.  

Whoops I forgot Ayo Akinola who was born in Brampton and grew up in Michigan and has earned caps for the US U-20s...so it's actually seven!  

6 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Bradley, Altidore, Bono, Morrow, Delgado, and now Boyd!  That's six so far.   

They all count as 'domestics' in the MLS so will they try to fill their squad with all US national team players?  

Mr Gam and Mr Tam will push all the Canadians off the team except Osorio.  

Whoops I forgot Ayo Akinola who was born in Brampton and grew up in Michigan and has earned caps for the US U-20s...so it's actually seven!  

Akinola was born in the US but grew up and played all his youth soccer in the Toronto area , he moved to the Toronto area when his was like a year old or younger .

Archived