Saskatoon CanPL

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

What’s the direction of a sask cpl franchise would it be in Regina / Saskatoon or both. I just wonder if that new football stadium in Regina would benifit from another tennent 

Prairieland Park will be the stadium if and when it happens. Most recent Premier Podcast has a great interview with Joe Belan giving a thorough update of all things Sask CanPL. From that interview he makes it clear they are working on making it happen at Prairieland Park

https://northernstartingeleven.com/premier-podcast-s02e24-joe-belan-cplpodcast-english/

6 hours ago, top cheese said:

What’s the direction of a sask cpl franchise would it be in Regina / Saskatoon or both. I just wonder if that new football stadium in Regina would benifit from another tennent 

Mosaic Stadium? Problem with that is the pointy ball lines on the field but it is doable as this pic from the New York Cosmos vs Valencia match shows where they have painted over the white lines to mute them :

IMG_4057-1.jpg

18 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Mosaic Stadium? Problem with that is the pointy ball lines on the field but it is doable as this pic from the New York Cosmos vs Valencia match shows where they have painted over the white lines to mute them :

IMG_4057-1.jpg

I think a Regina team will depend on how successful Saskatoon and the CPL does.

If it's a huge success, this might convince the Roughriders to do like the Tiger-Cats and Blue Bombers and add dates to the stadium while starting a Saskatchewan derby.

Of course, they would have to change the turf. That's why I'm saying only a huge success in Saskatoon could prompt them or even an other group to bring it to Regina.

Long term, both cities having a club makes sense in my mind

I concur.  Everything we've heard from Belan tells me that he is a smart and level headed guy.  These are exactly the people that you want to run clubs in this league.  He's doing is homework but it is clear that he's trying to iron out a lot of the kinks before launching a CPL club.  As much as we want Saskatchewan in the league Belan isn't in any rush, he wants to make sure that when he starts his club he's giving them every chance to succeed that he can. 

It is definitely a long game and the ownership hold the cards with when it happens. Also very much up to the city and province to step up. Devastating to lose the SKSSS this year and a chance to prove the interest in the province is there. I think 2021 would have been a possibility. Hard to see that now.

No point rushing anything though. When a team comes to SK it needs to be sustainable and competitive. If anything this break could be beneficial to drive up the hunger, give more time to grow community partnerships/support and another year of maybe developing players/infrastructure at the club. The good news is the ownership are committed.  The Wheatpool fan group has been established and needs to grow along with the brand and communities links for the team. Everything seems promising so far but its not an overnight fix. 

On 4/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, SpursFlu said:

I'm no expert on Saskatoon but Prairland looks great. Like Spruce Meadows in a good location

Great location, great transport links and parking, beautiful park surrounding and down to the river. Hotel being built almost across the road. Only downside is its proximity to downtown and bars/restaurants. 20-25 minute walk. Could be fixed with match day busses though. Shame there isn't anywhere to moor and likely too shallow for river taxi mayhem!

I have a lot of money in airline vouchers after my Cuban vacation was cancelled and Air Transat refused to issue refunds, just vouchers, a trip to the only province I haven't visited to meet up with a bunch of great V's would be something to really look forward to! I wonder if they survive whether they will run all inclusives to Saskatoon?

Edited by gator

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Great location, great transport links and parking, beautiful park surrounding and down to the river. Hotel being built almost across the road. Only downside is its proximity to downtown and bars/restaurants. 20-25 minute walk. Could be fixed with match day busses though. Shame there isn't anywhere to moor and likely too shallow for river taxi mayhem!

Perfect amount of time to enjoy a leisurely traveller on a warm, summer's eve, no?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I expect Clanachan skirted the issue as SK/CPL is in strange place due to the current circumstance.

The SK project like so many other areas of life is up in the air due to the pandemic.  While the project is far ahead of other potential expansion clubs in some areas the SKSSS was a huge litmus test, building block and stepping stone to bridging where the project was to joining the league. Losing it is a massive blow, certainly in terms of the timescale. I truly believe there would have been a SK team in the league either in 2021 or 22 had things gone ahead as planned. Certainly next year seems out now. Tough because momentum was building and it seemed things were falling into place. A huge amount of groundwork, progress and planning is at best shelved for now. 

There is a prospective SK team on the table for the CPL but it comes down to when and if the ownership feels the club and the community is ready to go with a sustainable team. It is sensible and will be worth the wait. The last thing anyone wants is a flash in the pan team that disappears after a couple of seasons. It is about planning for a club that will be here in 100 years. The CPL will know this and I expect by not name checking they avoid any extra pressure/expectation being placed. Thats my take anyway as much as it makes me sad face posts!

it was clear from his interview a while back with premier podcast that it wasnt gonna happen next year..belan is not a big money guy for this level..hopefully he can find deep pocket investors and get sask in sooner than later

Edited by Big_M

• 9 months later...